• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tax question Child's soc security

disneymarie

<font color=blue>Its a rumour about the donuts...<
My daughter receives benefits as I am disabled, husband retired. Is there a reason we declare this? It is not earned income. Sorry, hanging on hold is killing me with IRS just thought the Dis'ers would know faster? She receives more than $500 a month.
TIA

You won't have to claim it either for the family or your child. That being said, maintain the 1099 with all your other tax documents.

My DD received benefits as my DH is disabled. We have to file this year for the first time because they gave us a retro check for the past 12.5 years. Apparently they had been underpaying for her entire life. So the 1099 came in one lump sum with a breakdown on the bottom. Our accountant will file all the appropriate paperwork so that the IRS can see that it is not one year's worth of income. :sad2:

Thanks for the help!
I think I should have asked if any one with a child turning 18, disabled, if the application for SSI is accepted will she have to file income taxes declaring the SSI?
Will she collect on her Dad. Or is there the regular formula?
Tank you if anyone knows.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter