Tax?

BridgetR3

Dreaming of Home
Fairly random question here - What is the tax percent at Disney World that is added onto food purchases? THANKS!

It is either 6.5% or 7.5% depending on where you are. The reason for the difference is because some of the WDW property is in Osceola County, and their sales tax is 7.5%. AKL is in Osceola County. There may be more, but I'm not sure on that. And depending on party size, an 18% gratuity will be added, though you do not have to tip 18% or anything really (though you should) unless it's absolutely horrible service.

It is either 6.5% or 7.5% depending on where you are. The reason for the difference is because some of the WDW property is in Osceola County, and their sales tax is 7.5%. AKL is in Osceola County. There may be more, but I'm not sure on that. And depending on party size, an 18% gratuity will be added, though you do not have to tip 18% or anything really (though you should) unless it's absolutely horrible service.
All Stars are the only resorts in Osceola County, I'm pretty sure. So is the ESPN Wide World of Sports complex. The rest of WDW is 6.5%

All Stars are the only resorts in Osceola County, I'm pretty sure. So is the ESPN Wide World of Sports complex. The rest of WDW is 6.5%
I don't think so, AKL is definitely in Osceola County, look up the address. The All Stars all have a LBV address, so Orange County - though I did initially think they were in Osceola County, too.

OMG are there really 2 different tax amounts depending on where you are at Disney??? I'm already struggling with having to add tax and tip onto the cost of everything... In Australia, we just have a nation-wide 10% GST which is already included in all advertised prices, and we don't tip. No maths required lol!

Does this impact the price of some of the resorts too? I've only factored in tax of 6.5% for all resorts in my comparisons.

And 18% is considered a respectable amount for a tip?

I don't think so, AKL is definitely in Osceola County, look up the address. The All Stars all have a LBV address, so Orange County - though I did initially think they were in Osceola County, too.
No - the PP is correct. All Stars and ESPN are in Osceola, AK in Orange. Osceola Parkway is basically the county line.

Attachments

• countyline.JPG
    countyline.JPG
    127.7 KB · Views: 8

OMG are there really 2 different tax amounts depending on where you are at Disney??? I'm already struggling with having to add tax and tip onto the cost of everything... In Australia, we just have a nation-wide 10% GST which is already included in all advertised prices, and we don't tip. No maths required lol!

Does this impact the price of some of the resorts too? I've only factored in tax of 6.5% for all resorts in my comparisons.

Yep, different tax rates since WDW is in two counties that happen to have different tax rates. In the US, typically the state sets x% sales tax, then the county adds x%, and maybe even the city. To make it even more fun, each state has a different list of tax-exempt items.

20% is considered a standard tip now for sit down restaurants- thats for when service was not bad, not amazing, just average. People don’t typically decrease a tip unless the server is absolutely incompetent/rude. Things like slow service aren’t usually the servers fault, they are constrained by the amount of tables they were assigned and how fast the kitchen is working.

Yep, different tax rates since WDW is in two counties that happen to have different tax rates. In the US, typically the state sets x% sales tax, then the county adds x%, and maybe even the city. To make it even more fun, each state has a different list of tax-exempt items.

20% is considered a standard tip now for sit down restaurants- thats for when service was not bad, not amazing, just average. People don’t typically decrease a tip unless the server is absolutely incompetent/rude. Things like slow service aren’t usually the servers fault, they are constrained by the amount of tables they were assigned and how fast the kitchen is working.
Thank you so much for your response. That's really stuffed me up! Maybe it's safer to just allow for 7.5% tax on everything for our trip - I'd rather overestimate than underestimate.

There's also an additional 6% transient hotel room tax that is imposed by the county so resort rooms are taxed at 12.5% or 13.5%.
OMG really? 😮 Guess I'd better go back and adjust all my estimates. This is why I like to use an Aussie booking site for hotels - because the price when you search is the price you actually pay. Unfortunately it's not an option for Disney hotels but will definitely stick with that for the rest of the trip!

Yes. At sit down I typically do around 20% but there is no reason why 18% isn't acceptable. I mainly do 20 because it's easy for me to calculate in my head. That's prior to the tax or any other fees (not sure if there are those in FL like there are in CA).

On to my soapbox for a moment. The tipping stuff has gone completely bonkers in the US. I went to a convenience store and there was a tip prompt when paying for my candy. There is a local self serve froyo place that has a tip prompt. It's self serve for crying out loud. I have come to the conclusion that unless I'm sitting down and there is a server bringing my food or a bartender making drinks, it's not reasonable to be asking for a tip.

Yes, tipping in the US is now all over the map. For a waitress at a sit-down restaurant it seems that 15% is what is typically considered normal, but you can clearly do more or less depending on the level of service. You will also find many other threads here where the topic of tipping (and how much) tends to be highly contentious and each person has their own idea who to tip and how much.

No one expects you to study the Disney labor agreements prior to going there to know who to tip. If you offer a particular Disney employee a tip when they aren't permitted to accept it, they will let you know. Typically, someone who brings the luggage to your room, car valet or waitress in a restaurant are jobs where tipping is a normal practice. Some others also tip the maid who cleans their room, but on some trips we have gone the entire time and never seen the maid as they tend to makeup rooms when we were away. If I asked them for something like extra towels, then tipping seems appropriate.

Tipping and taxes are two different things, but it seems like this thread is discussing both. Clearly taxes are automatically added based on whatever the local rates happen to be.

Tipping and taxes are two different things, but it seems like this thread is discussing both. Clearly taxes are automatically added based on whatever the local rates happen to be.
Sorry that was my fault for hijacking the thread!

I appreciate all the extra information though.

No problem. With many threads it seems like people only read the latest 2-3 remarks and then the topic moves off in some other direction.

OMG really? 😮 Guess I'd better go back and adjust all my estimates. This is why I like to use an Aussie booking site for hotels - because the price when you search is the price you actually pay. Unfortunately it's not an option for Disney hotels but will definitely stick with that for the rest of the trip!
I’m not sure if it redirects you to a specific site for Australia but on Disneyworld.com it will show the amount of tax.

If you select no tickets and scroll to the bottom you will see the taxes. (Of course you will probably want tickets too but this was just an example hope hotel taxes.)

1707567934416.png

Special Offer: Stay Longer and Save More on Rooms
August 1 – August 8, 2024

2 Adults
View Offer Details

Remove All - Opens Dialog
Resort
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
Standard View
$1,394.40

I’m not sure if it redirects you to a specific site for Australia but on Disneyworld.com it will show the amount of tax.

If you select no tickets and scroll to the bottom you will see the taxes. (Of course you will probably want tickets too but this was just an example hope hotel taxes.)

View attachment 832963

Special Offer: Stay Longer and Save More on Rooms
August 1 – August 8, 2024

2 Adults
View Offer Details

Remove All - Opens Dialog
Resort
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
Standard View
$1,394.40
Thanks, but we're setting up a room block so don't have a page where we can see the total pricing yet. Just going off the quotes we've been given for room rates + tax. Plus I'm a bit lazy and can't be bothered going through to the totals page for every single option 😂 However, our room block coordinator has just confirmed that all onsite resorts have a 12.5% tax rate, except for the All Stars which are 13.5%, which was very helpful!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter