• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Teach me your ways and Tell me my plan is okay before I book fast passes

I have questions.

How tall is he?
Are you bringing a car seat with you?
Does he have any fear? HM, Dinosaur, ToT, even Bug = scary. My kid wouldn't go near FoP until she was 8. She's finally going to ride ToT next month. Heck even I am terrified to ride that one.

This plus you can also get a pirates fast pass by playing the pirates adventure game if that is something you think your son may like. My girls love the interaction games but we haven’t done this one yet. It’s on our to do list.
Details? What is that and how do we do it?

Is your 4 yr old super human? Just reading your schedule is making me tiered. I would slow down and not plan for such early and long days. Especially your landing day. To get off a plane and go right to the park and stay all night is a bit adventurous. I understand you don't have many days but just be prepared to cut out alot of things if your 4 yr old gets tiered or overwhelmed.

A bug's Life is my favorite show due to all the children screaming and parents rushing them out . It is pretty scary imo.
Good point lol. I am thinking of flipping HS with AKL. I think HS swill be a shorter day and we can get back to hotel earlier. Then we don’t have to wake up crazy early on Monday for EMM abut can head to AKL as we please.

Even though you don't have a ton planned for your first day- it will be a LONG day since you are traveling. We've done this too, but always wish we didn't plan an expensive, special dinner on the first night ( if we have an early travel day.) We just don't appreciate it and its expensive for an hour long dinner. Also, there are a ton of animals to enjoy at AK- I would skip Bug's Life and maybe take the train and explore.
Day 2 looks good, Imo. As long as you are in bed early the night before.
Day 3, when we did Jedi training we didn't get to choose the time- not sure if that has changed? You were just put in the schedule according to when you signed up...Also, I would skip ToT with a four year old and see a show or something, personally.
Thanks. I think I’m going to do the kids dance party instead. I think I’m also going to flip HS and AKL because day 1 will be exhausting and I think we will want to spend more time at AKL. can you tell me more about the train?

I have questions.

How tall is he?
Are you bringing a car seat with you?
Does he have any fear? HM, Dinosaur, ToT, even Bug = scary. My kid wouldn't go near FoP until she was 8. She's finally going to ride ToT next month. Heck even I am terrified to ride that one.
He is not 48 inches. He’s about 46. He is scared of bugs so maybe skip that one. Loves dinosaurs though. Like soooky things too. I think I’m skipping TOT just to be safe.

Its been about 18 years since my dd was 4, but we did a couple solo mom/solo kid trips that year (and maybe a couple dozen over the next decade). I'm guessing that you've checked heights, and he's good for all. Does he happen to be 48" My dd loved Primeval Whirl as well. I'm guessing that your trip is in August? We didn't deal with the advance FPs when she was little, so that's tough. For the last 18 years, I've found that doing disney as a mom and kid is different than as a larger (even three person) family. So a lot of touring truisms didn't work for us. (I also happened to have a night kid, so we generally got going later and closed the parks.)

While I like that you are trying to structure your days, our absolute favorite thing about a mommy/kid vacation at Disney was that mommy de-stressed. So other than ADRs and FPs, I wouldn't "Plan" for anything else. Maybe lead, but not plan. Suppose you don't get everything you have planned done. You know why? Probably because you were having fun doing something else. Don't risk losing out on having fun because you are trying to stick to a schedule.

And about those ADRs - are you doing free dining? If not, I'd only do one sit-down (character) meal. On a short trip, they break the momentum and take too much focus to make sure you get there on time. If you do sit down meals, consider a later lunch in the heat of the day when you need a break. Or after you're done at the parks, but before you go to your room. Once you've either eaten or gone to your room at the end of the day, one or both of you may be done in. Sitting down earlier gives you a chance to get going again, refreshed.

As I'm looking at your plans, I wonder about switching your MK and DHS days? It seems like you've planned for a shorter DHS day, so that might be good after your longer first day? If you have energy, you can go to Disney Springs and see the Lego Store sculptures, or WinterSummerland to play golf in the evening. Early on, my dd and I started doing Space Mountain as our last ride before we leave. We were often able to catch it as it was closing. It ended up becoming a tradition (spoiled last summer - the first trip in many years - because it was down. 😭 ) But if you think you will be back, it would be fun to have something park-related on your last night.

I've put some notes in your plans. I hope this helps! Unfortunately, I'm afraid I was mostly being nostalgic. We had so much fun on our trips and have so many memories. But it's the not park things that make the trip. Early on, we started playing shadow tag as we walked to Epcot. I'm not sure why or how, but it is just something that, even at 22, we still do. But it's the things like that that make a trip. Have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for your awesome response.

I think I may flip AK and HS. really don’t wanna flip MK with anything because I got EMM and want to use it.

I think we will only need a few hours at HS so it won’t be so rushed on the first day. I wanna do the toy story mania, Star Wars and the kids dance party. Let him meet some Star Wars characters and then get back to hotel on the earlier side. He can skip Jedi training this trip- especially after some of the feedback I heard on here.

Then we won’t have to get up so ridiculously early on Monday and can sleep in, enjoy the pool and head to AKL at our leisure.

I have to throw in some representation for Barnstormer and Dumbo, those rides rocked for my kids at that age. Dumbo's wait area actually has a huge indoor playstructure that your little guy can play around in air conditioning instead of just standing in another line. I don't believe that area is included in EMM. He'd probably really enjoy Tomorrowland Speedway as well.

Pirates Adventure would be good, but it doesn't open till 12pm.

The train they're talking about is Rafiki's Planet Watch which is re-opening July 11? I believe.

I have to throw in some representation for Barnstormer and Dumbo, those rides rocked for my kids at that age. Dumbo's wait area actually has a huge indoor playstructure that your little guy can play around in air conditioning instead of just standing in another line. I don't believe that area is included in EMM. He'd probably really enjoy Tomorrowland Speedway as well.

Pirates Adventure would be good, but it doesn't open till 12pm.

The train they're talking about is Rafiki's Planet Watch which is re-opening July 11? I believe.
How long does Pirates adventure take?

Pirates Adventure takes about 15 minutes if you're taking your time. We got a repeat once and I just ran around and completed it in like 5 minutes.

It basically has this small story centering around pirates of the caribbean and loot, there's touch points around adventureland you have to find via a map and it has an interactive element when you find these touch points, like chests open, things that look like decor move, canons go off, things talk, etc. After you complete 2 they will reward you with a FP to Pirates.

There's a little shack in frontierland right before the pirates entrance to adventureland where you start it.

I agree with most of what's been said here. I concur that a lot of the rides in your original plan might be too intense for a 4 year old (Splash, ToT, HM, Dinosaur, etc.) Only you know your child, but none of my 6 kiddos would have been able to handle those rides at that age. Kali is one of their favourites - don't worry about saving it for the end of the day, ust bring ponchos and a pair of flip flops - there are free lockers right there for you to stash your gear.

You will have loads of time between your fp's at AK, so don't forget to hit up the trails with your son. They are phenomenal!

Some thoughts:

AK day: If you can't get a FP for flight of passage, get one for Navi River instead of Dinosaur. Dinosaur is not a hard FP to get after you have used your first 3. And I don't think you want Dinosaur to be your 4-year old's first Disney experience; I heard an anecdote of someone who did that and their child refused to go on any other ride the rest of the trip. It is not a slow-moving exploration of the wonder of dinosaurs; it is an incredibly rough bumpy, fling you side-by-side, constant strobe light, sharp-toothed dinosaurs with bloody maws experience. If you think your son is up to it, at least let him try some other rides first. I also agree with everyone else--bugs life is the stuff of nightmares (I was actually relieved when my son screamed his head off and we "had to" leave; not happy he was sad, but thrilled to get the heck out of there).

MK day: Jungle cruise definitely over POTC because that is a hot line to wait in outdoors on standby. I would get something other than Haunted mansion for your third FP, since Haunted mansion often has short (20 mins or less) wait times on standby. Maybe just get pirates in addition to jungle cruise, or buzz. There is so much to do at MK, I also worry you are planning a day that is a bit short by leaving at 3:30. I would suggest cancelling your dinner rez and playing it by ear: if your son is tired at 3:30, head back to the hotel, but if he is having the time of his life and wants to stay, you won't feel obligated to leave because of the dinner rez. There are lots of nice places to eat in the MK area and since it is just the two of you, you might be able to easily find a same-day reservation on the app, or if not, the quick service at MK is decent.

HS day: 1pm is a HOT time of day to do Jedi training, which takes about an hour from the time your report to the area to the completion of the event. I would try to do this in morning or later in the afternoon. I also don't see any shows in your plan, but that is a really fun part of Hollywood Studios. I bet your son would really enjoy Indiana Jones. If he has any interest in princess movies (I know my four year old son does), Frozen, Little Mermaid, and Beauty and the Beast are also nice shows.

I totally agree that you should use Disney's Magical Express instead of an uber to and from the airport. Not only are ubers with car seats more expensive than regular ubers, the Magical Express is free and has a lovely intro video about Disney world that my kids really enjoy.

While I would say, go to the Dinosaur land. I would skip the Dinosaur! ride. It's loud, scary and really, really bouncy. My wife and I barely made it through and she was done for the day after that (but has medical issues). I would never have gone on it with her had I known how it really way. Very intense (but it's fun if you can handle it). Do the other rides in the land but I'd avoid that with small children.

My kid's favorite ride at 5 & 4 - their first trip was without a doubt Splash Mountain, don't skip it unless you really think he can't handle it!

Details? What is that and how do we do it?

We haven’t done it yet but it’s in Adventure Land in the Crows Nest and it is a interactive scavenger hunt. You are looking for 5 treasurers in Adventure Land. If you find 2 ( that is what I have read) you can get a fast pass for pirates. I think if you get all 5 you become a member of Captain Jack Sparrows Pirate Crew. You get a map and each treasure takes about 15-20 minutes. I am hoping to do it in July.

My kid's favorite ride at 5 & 4 - their first trip was without a doubt Splash Mountain, don't skip it unless you really think he can't handle it!

Totally agree! My 7-year-old has been going on Splash since she was 4 and she still loves that ride....it is her absolute favorite! Which is also what I was trying to explain previously... not all kids are the same so only the parent truly knows what they can handle. My DDs both think Dinosaur is hilarious and super fun.

My little one has been game for any ride she is tall enough for since she could talk. Our local park has a ride that goes upside down with a 42” height requirement. She would run back and forth between that and the kiddie rides (under 48” required). It was hilarious. The worker who measured her (she was exactly 42”-different shoes and she wouldn’t have been allowed) watched and shook his head because how could you do both those rides. So, that child, I would do any ride that she was tall enough for.

My older one meanwhile refused to join us, despite being 4 years older. Different kids have different thresholds.

I had one of those kids that loved everything. We didn't do Splash on her first trip at 3 because I didn't want to, lol. But she did Dinosaur and loved it.

The two rides I held her off of were Rock n Roller coaster (I didn't want to do it, lol), and Space Mountain. It's a one-seater, and she was tall but really thin. The first time we finally did it, I sat behind her and kept my hands on her shoulders the entire ride! And that's not my norm - at all! :rotfl2:

Yeah, it's weird how the kids react. My son is up for anything and we got on space mountain - that really freaked him out, we had to bring him down from that for like 30 minutes. Just being seated by himself in the dark was too much, totally didn't expect it with how he takes everything else.

My kids both disliked mission breakout 2 years ago October, but I'm going to encourage them to try ToT this August trip. They're very apprehensive but I'm leaving it up to them if they want to skip it when we get there.

I just got back with my boys 8 and 5. (He just turned five, so basically still 4 lol)

We did not to Bugs or Dinosaur (my choicr, I didn’t offer). The 5yo did not do Pirates or Haunted Mansion (his choice, too scared).

He LOVED coasters. We had to do Splash twice. Rode Big Thunder 3-4x. He rode Mine Train 5x (we did EMM). Slinky Dog 3x.

He stopped napping a few months ago but DEFINITELY still needed a nap at Disney. It was so hot. The naps let him sleep and be ready for evenings.

We ended up ditching almost all our ADRs. Wasn’t worth it with kids. They were not hungry or eating. We kept Chef Mickey for the characters and kept Hollywood and Vine (but wish we had cancelled it).

I agree with app who said start your FP at 9. Get through the first 3 quick so you can grab new ones. Refresh in lines to move times up. Buzz is easy to get extra FP for and both my boys are OBSESSED with that ride. Heck, I got FP in the FP line...so we exited and got right back on lol. You can get a ton of FP at MK if you’re not too picky about walking around.

Jedi Training is amazing. Don’t skip it. I think it is one of the most well done things for kids. My 5yo insisted on watching it about 4x after he did it lol. He loved it.

I know this isn’t a popular opinion, but my boys didn’t really like AK. Not enough rides. My 5yo did the Safari, TriceraSpin, Na’vi River and Lion King show. He isn’t tall enough for FoP. We were out of AK by 12:30 and neither asked to go back.

My 5yo loved everything. Don’t discount the less exciting things. He loved Small World (was amazed), loved the Na’vi River ride, loved Imagination and the Little Mermaid ride. Anything with animatronics blew his little mind! He wasn’t as interested in characters as I thought other than at the meals.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter