teacher question

bsblady01

disney lover
I have a question, we just got our class list for next year today and I will have a little boy with autism in my class next year. this will be my first time having a student like this in my class. I asked his kindergarten teacher a little bit about him today and he had a big issue with seat time he was ok during free play. what can I do as a teacher to make things easy for him in first grade where we have more seat time and less play time. I have my room set up where four kids sit together would it be better to do each desk in a row next year and have him sit in the front of the room. I am going to email the parents and open the lines of communication now so I can get to know them better, his kindergarten teacher said that it worked out well for her this year. if you guys have any ideas for me I am open to anything to help this little boy have a great first grade year. are there any good books on this subject I should read this summer

My DS is 19 years old. He has Asperger's and ADHD. Two things helped him. One was the ability to stand when he needed. He couldn't sit for long times like the other kids. But he could stand or kneel and do his work. Sitting in a chair just didn't work for him. The second was he was permitted to have a notepad on his lap and doodle while the teachers taught. Or he had something in his hands to play with. like putty. It was a sensory thing.

Every ASD kid is different. So finding what will work for yours will/may take some time. Definitely talk to the parents. Ask about things like dinner time. What does he do then? Or computer play time? Or just when he is on his own.

Good luck!

My DS is 19 years old. He has Asperger's and ADHD. Two things helped him. One was the ability to stand when he needed. He couldn't sit for long times like the other kids. But he could stand or kneel and do his work. Sitting in a chair just didn't work for him. The second was he was permitted to have a notepad on his lap and doodle while the teachers taught. Or he had something in his hands to play with. like putty. It was a sensory thing.

Every ASD kid is different. So finding what will work for yours will/may take some time. Definitely talk to the parents. Ask about things like dinner time. What does he do then? Or computer play time? Or just when he is on his own.

Good luck!
thank you for the help and ideas

thank you for the help and ideas

You're welcome. DS had some wonderful teachers. The teachers that allowed him to stand or kneel did seat him at the back of the room so he didn't disturb others around him. The teachers that allowed the putty/drawing seated at the front and called on him often to make sure he was paying attention. He attended a small Catholic school and had no IEP so this was totally at the teachers discretion.

I hope his parents have some suggestions for you. Talking with them will be your best bet. They know him/her best. But thank you for understanding and being proactive about it.

If you are in a public school, he should have an IEP. But whether that has specifics of what has worked depends on how well it is written.

Absolutely open the lines of communication with the parents! As a parent of a child with special needs and learning challenges, I try to reach out to the teachers each spring just before school ends. And again in the fall shortly after school begins I request a meeting so we can get a good start. I welcome any questions/comments from the teachers and find they appreciate that. I'm sure this boy's parents will welcome the opportunity to work together with you to find solutions as issues crop up.

Does this child have a 1:1? Or is there a para-educator assigned to the classroom? As others have suggested, it is likely sensory. Maybe you can give him small bits of time to sit, then stand (or kneel or somehow change position), then sit again, etc.. Try to work up to longer time periods, but it will be gradual. I wouldn't necessarily re-design your seating configuration, but you might want to assign seats and since this is just first grade it may take some trial-and-error to find the seating location that works best for him. At first I'd try assigning him to a seat in an area of the classroom away from too much extra stimulation (not near the coats/backpacks, not near the toy shelf, etc.).

I'm a special education teacher and there have been many great ideas already listed. Sensory issues are huge. I think speaking with the parent will be your first best strategy. There is a saying, "If you've met one child with autism, well, you've met one child with autism." They say this because each child is different and nobody knows your student better than the parent. It's great to allow the student to have a desk mingled in with his peers but I have found that having a separate "office space" is always helpful for them to move to when they need space. My office space is a desk carrel (desk with high sides on three sides and is placed in a part of the room that gives the student privacy to move around without standing out to his peers or be a distraction to the learning of others. There are noise blocking earphones always available when noise becomes an issue. Not all students with autism are on an IEP but if your little guy is then his IEP will be valuable in offering accommodations and modifications he may need.

I'm a special education teacher and there have been many great ideas already listed. Sensory issues are huge. I think speaking with the parent will be your first best strategy. There is a saying, "If you've met one child with autism, well, you've met one child with autism." They say this because each child is different and nobody knows your student better than the parent. It's great to allow the student to have a desk mingled in with his peers but I have found that having a separate "office space" is always helpful for them to move to when they need space. My office space is a desk carrel (desk with high sides on three sides and is placed in a part of the room that gives the student privacy to move around without standing out to his peers or be a distraction to the learning of others. There are noise blocking earphones always available when noise becomes an issue. Not all students with autism are on an IEP but if your little guy is then his IEP will be valuable in offering accommodations and modifications he may need.
do you find that these kids have issues with group work or are most of them ok. I like to have kids work as groups on some things during the year. so if you have any suggestions on this it would be a great help

do you find that these kids have issues with group work or are most of them ok. I like to have kids work as groups on some things during the year. so if you have any suggestions on this it would be a great help

It truly depends on the child. It is important for him to socialize but may be difficult for him to do so even if he wants to. Sensory issues are many times the hinderance to socializing. You will have a better idea once you meet him because then you will see where he is currently at and what skills you can give him to better his peer interactions. He may be very social but the interaction may be one sided where he doesn't reciprocate. It is important to just build onto where he is currently working and know that it may seem like baby steps in your mind but if every teacher took one baby step with him he will have made good gains by the time he is in 5th grade. Even in group work he may need structure within that group (knowing exactly what his role is which can be outlined to him by you prior to group work). Also, allow him to be able to leave the group if it becomes too much. If you want him to convey that to you then he can have cue words or a cue card that he hands you to let you know he needs to leave the group activity. I have a little guy that comes to my room on and off throughout his day and will fall apart if he doesn't leave on time. His cue words to me are "it's go time" and then I know he needs to start cleaning up in order to stay within his comfort zone. Truly, you'll be fine because the fact that you are thinking about ways to support him now means that you are there for him ~he's fortunate to have you as his classroom teacher.

Kudos for thinking about this as early as possible. Is this the first child with an IEP you've had in your class? What did you for any previous children with IEP or special needs? With autism etc. being so prevalent in school age children now, it seems likely you've had a child on the spectrum in your class before - I know all children are different, but thinking about what you did before might be helpful.

I am a parent of two autistic kids, both mainstreamed for most of the day. I suggest asking the parents what works for their child. Group work may be tough at that age, as the kid may need a LOT of reinforcement and redirection to keep engaged. I would recommend you not put him to do group work until you've had a chance to observe your OTHER students. Put the autistic kid in a group with the smartest kids you have, and the ones who seem to have a genuine kindness and helpful nature about them, as well as those who exhibit leadership traits. Kids are often great about supporting their peers who need extra help and you will see it early on during times like recess and lunch. See which kids gravitate to help him when he needs it.

I also would highly agree with those that say that seat work is VERY hard for many on the spectrum, and having a "Sensory corner" in your room might be extremely helpful. It can be something simple like beanbag chair or a desk behind a partial partition, so he can sort of tune out distractions and focus more on work, or to have a place to "escape" to if he becomes overwhelmed. Also, you may want to ask the parents about noise sensitivities, and have noise reducing headphones for him to use during things like assemblies, fire drills, etc. His K teacher should be able to tell you if this is an issue or not.

Finally, have some small toys or manipulatives for him to "work for". My sons always had stuff like counting cubes, puzzles, play doh, or lego bricks that they could use when they finished their work. Often, these kids are VERY smart, and may finish their work early and then act out out of boredom. Have something that he can play with quietly at his desk in the event that he finishes his tasks early. Also, these types of rewards help get them to do work that they otherwise will not want to do.

One other thing some of the teachers I work with do for kids who aren't comfortable sitting for long periods is to set up a messenger system with another teacher. When you sense that the child needs a break, give him an "important note" (in an envelope) to take to this other teacher. She has another envelope ready to send back in answer. Because she is prepared in advance, it doesn't interrupt her class too much, and it gives the child a legitimate reason to take a little walk.

I've been a special education teacher for 14 years - most of that in a self contained classroom with kids w/ autism. As some have said, each child is different and has different motivators. Talking with the parents before hand will be a great help.

Things that have worked for many of the children I've worked with:

A visual schedule - this is something that can be on the corner of their desk so that they can see what is coming up and when breaks/choice activities are coming.

Frequent breaks - long periods of work can be tough for any student, but even more for a student with autism. Sometimes I even have to break up assignments into chunks and make separate sheets. If they get a worksheet with a bunch problems on it, even though they only have to do the first row, it can be overwhelming. Make a copy of just the first row, then a sperate copy with just the second row that they can do later. Hope that makes sense.

As others have said, a separate workstation away from distractions - it depends on the student, but many need a place away from distractions and other sensory distractions. I've had some kids that had major issues with fluorescent lights - things that you or I don't even notice. I ended up just buying lamps for the room and all was well.

The parents will give you a better idea on sensory tools to use - the most common that I've found helpful are bean bag chairs, weighted blankets, swings, sandbox, and tupperware filled with different items (rice, marbles, play-doh) that they can run their hands through.

Computer/iPad time as a reward - letting them earn time on the computer or iPad is a great motivator for many kids. I've worked at schools that don't allow YouTube, but working with the IT department we've figured out ways to allow them to watch short clips of things they are interested in. Big motivator for some.

Those are just some things that jump out at me - the parents will be your greatest resource. You also should Think about setting up a time where the student/parents can come in and see the room, meet you before all the other students come. That can be a big help for that first week.

Hope this helps! Feel free to ask away if you have any other questions!

I think the most important thing is to be prepared to be flexible. You've gotten some great suggestions, but just remember that what works for one child with autism may not work for another. Some enjoy retreating to a sensory corner. Others don't want to be isolated. Some like wearing noise-cancelling headphones. Some don't like the feeling of anything on their heads. Some are very motivated by token/reward systems. Others couldn't care less about them. It's best to be prepared with a few ideas, but be ready to throw them out and develop new strategies when you see what works (and what doesn't work) for that particular child. Talking to his previous teacher and parents is great. If he receives any other services through the school (such as speech or occupational therapy), be sure to also speak to those therapists. They will be able to give you insight into what to expect from him, and how to help him succeed.

I have a question, we just got our class list for next year today and I will have a little boy with autism in my class next year. this will be my first time having a student like this in my class. I asked his kindergarten teacher a little bit about him today and he had a big issue with seat time he was ok during free play. what can I do as a teacher to make things easy for him in first grade where we have more seat time and less play time. I have my room set up where four kids sit together would it be better to do each desk in a row next year and have him sit in the front of the room. I am going to email the parents and open the lines of communication now so I can get to know them better, his kindergarten teacher said that it worked out well for her this year. if you guys have any ideas for me I am open to anything to help this little boy have a great first grade year. are there any good books on this subject I should read this summer
You should be having or have had a staffing with the parents and the special ed teacher. In this meeting you will set goals and talk about what works and does not work in the classroom. Many of the accommodations should be listed in the IEP. If you were not included in the most recent staffing, the SpEd teacher is the best person to talk to. They have experience with the child and they are usually the ones that help the regular classroom teacher set up goals, expectations and behavior strategies.

Have you reviewed the IEP yet?

I saw the little boys mom at field day today, I went over and introduced myself and asked a few questions. I was able to set up a meeting with her on Friday. as of right now he does not have an iep but they are working on it so one is in place for first grade.

I would like to thank all of you for the ideas. I am just trying to get as much info as I can now so I can change some of my lesson plans now if I have to. please keep the ideas coming. this is the first special needs student that I have had so it's all new.

Why does the child not already have an IEP and how long until he gets one? Has he already gotten a referral to be evaluated? You meeting with his mom is great but if he is in need of accommodations or services then he has to have an IEP to get those. As a teacher and the mother of a child on the spectrum, I can assure you that it's not just changing lesson plans especially if the child also has sensory and/or behavioral issues. Is there a special ed teacher or team at your school that you can consult with on this?

Last edited:
I saw the little boys mom at field day today, I went over and introduced myself and asked a few questions. I was able to set up a meeting with her on Friday. as of right now he does not have an iep but they are working on it so one is in place for first grade.

I would like to thank all of you for the ideas. I am just trying to get as much info as I can now so I can change some of my lesson plans now if I have to. please keep the ideas coming. this is the first special needs student that I have had so it's all new.

That has to be a rarity to go eight years without one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter