teacher question

Why does the child not already have an IEP and how long until he gets one? Has he already gotten a referral to be evaluated? You meeting with his mom is great but if he is in need of accommodations or services then he has to have an IEP to get those. As a teacher and the mother of a child on the spectrum, I can assure you that it's not just changing lesson plans especially if the child also has sensory and/or behavioral issues. Is there a special ed teacher or team at your school that you can consult with on this?
from what I was told they did not feel that he needed an iep for kindergarten, but they feel he needs one for first grade. he does go to speech class twice a week here at school, and occupational three times a week outside of school.

I'm surprised he doesn't have an IEP already set for this coming year having gone through kindergarten at your school. Ask your principal what he or she would suggest for you accommodating this young man. Also, your Special Ed teachers, I'm sure, could recommend some helpful educational material for you to read to prepare. Good luck.

I'm surprised he doesn't have an IEP already set for this coming year having gone through kindergarten at your school. Ask your principal what he or she would suggest for you accommodating this young man. Also, your Special Ed teachers, I'm sure, could recommend some helpful educational material for you to read to prepare. Good luck.
thank you.

from what I was told they did not feel that he needed an iep for kindergarten, but they feel he needs one for first grade. he does go to speech class twice a week here at school, and occupational three times a week outside of school.

Then he should have an IEP if he gets services at school. There might not be academic and classroom accommodations and goals outline in it but he should have one. You need to get with the special ed teacher that he is assigned to, discuss your concerns, and set up an actual IEP meeting.

I saw the little boys mom at field day today, I went over and introduced myself and asked a few questions. I was able to set up a meeting with her on Friday. as of right now he does not have an iep but they are working on it so one is in place for first grade.

I would like to thank all of you for the ideas. I am just trying to get as much info as I can now so I can change some of my lesson plans now if I have to. please keep the ideas coming. this is the first special needs student that I have had so it's all new.
If this is the first time you are working with a child with special needs, I would gently suggest that you become familiar with people first language. For some parents like me, it doesn't really bother them if the professionals say Autistic child, Downs child, or special needs child, although I would raise an eyebrow. Many parents though, in my experience more than not, bristle at the professionals using incorrect language. Always say "a student with...." rather than defining the child with his disability like Down's student. They are a student first who happen to have such and such disability. A professional not using people first language just makes them seem ignorant.

http://www.disabilityisnatural.com/explore/people-first-language

Last edited:
I am going into my 8th year of teaching, I was a sub for two years after I got out of college

I would say it's an incredible rarity that you've not had a student on an IEP in 8 years of teaching.

I find it unbelievable you've been in charge of a classroom for 8 years and never dealt with an IEP.

Agreed. Our town has approximately 25% of the student body classified as those with special needs and on IEP or 504 plans.

Highly unlikely if you are in a public school. Unless your school budget is overflowing and can offer such extensive services without an IEP or 504, most schools will have an IEP for the student under the guidelines of the IDEA act, part B. The IDEA act, part B covers children with disabilities from ages 3 to 21. It would be very beneficial to become somewhat familiar with it so you don't violate any laws.

Here is the IDEA act:
http://idea.ed.gov/explore/home

Another great website is www.wrightslaw.com.

Here is a good book about IEPs: http://astore.amazon.com/ci055-20/detail/1892320207

And one more good website to peruse:
https://www.autismspeaks.org/

Last edited:

Then he should have an IEP if he gets services at school. There might not be academic and classroom accommodations and goals outline in it but he should have one. You need to get with the special ed teacher that he is assigned to, discuss your concerns, and set up an actual IEP meeting.

Yeah it's strange there's no IEP for at least speech therapy through the school, kindergarten or not. My son had one from pre-k to 1st for only that.

We have had some students in my district with autism and have not needed an IEP for academics until they got a little older. I just placed a little girl for the first time in an academic area. She did fine academically and socially until some of the concepts became abstract. So we re-evaluated her (she had a previous IEP for articulation) and placed her academically and added social skills. It really does depend on the child and his/her needs. Not every child with a diagnosed disability needs an IEP until we can see that it is impacting their learning. We also have many students with ADHD in our school that are not on an IEP or 504 plan. I agree with a previous poster~ always a child first (a child with autism rather than an autistic child).

Last edited:
We have had some students in my district that are autistic and have not needed an IEP until they got a little older. I just placed a little girl in 4th grade for the first time. She did fine academically and socially until some of the concepts became abstract (especially in math) and she would become so upset that she couldn't figure it out. So we evaluated her and placed her only in the area of math. In 5th grade the speech pathologist and I added social skills because friendships (with 5th grade girl drama) proved to be overwhelming for her. It really does depend on the child and his/her needs. Not every child with a diagnosed disability needs an IEP until we can see that it is impacting their learning. We also have many students with ADHD in our school that are not on an IEP or 504 plan.

But if the child in question is getting services through the public school system then the child has an IEP and should be being followed by someone in the special ed dept. If the kindy teacher is saying the child had problems with seat time then there is a need for some classroom accommodations. I understand that not all kids on the spectrum need or have an IEP but I think it is a huge disservice to try to play catch up with an IEP once problems arise. As a mom and a teacher, I prefer to be proactive.

We have had some students in my district that are autistic and have not needed an IEP until they got a little older. I just placed a little girl in 4th grade for the first time. She did fine academically and socially until some of the concepts became abstract (especially in math) and she would become so upset that she couldn't figure it out. So we evaluated her and placed her only in the area of math. In 5th grade the speech pathologist and I added social skills because friendships (with 5th grade girl drama) proved to be overwhelming for her. It really does depend on the child and his/her needs. Not every child with a diagnosed disability needs an IEP until we can see that it is impacting their learning. We also have many students with ADHD in our school that are not on an IEP or 504 plan.
That is quite true, but the OP said the child is already receiving pretty extensive services. He is receiving speech 2x per week and OT 3x per week, although it was not completely clear whether the OT was private or school funded since it was offsite.

Services 5x per week are generally always associated with an IEP or 504.

That is quite true, but the OP said the child is already receiving pretty extensive services. He is receiving speech 2x per week and OT 3x per week, although it was not completely clear whether the OT was private or school funded.

Services 5x per week are generally always associated with an IEP or 504.

Sorry~I did see that after the fact and edited my post. The little girl I was working with also had a previous IEP for speech prior to me working with her. It could mean the little guy is receiving outside services which isn't unheard of. Some parents choose outside services (especially counseling) in addition to service that the school can provide.

But if the child in question is getting services through the public school system then the child has an IEP and should be being followed by someone in the special ed dept. If the kindy teacher is saying the child had problems with seat time then there is a need for some classroom accommodations. I understand that not all kids on the spectrum need or have an IEP but I think it is a huge disservice to try to play catch up with an IEP once problems arise. As a mom and a teacher, I prefer to be proactive.

I agree! I have been amazed myself in the number of students that I feel would have benefited from services way before they were provided them. Autism is one of those areas that I think the younger the better. The IEP may have been for speech with OT as a related services and could have been addressed in a head start of preschool program through the school. After Kindergarten the teacher may have felt more support was needed and recommended more support. It's a shame they didn't get that ball rolling before he left kindergarten.

Sorry~I did see that after the fact and edited my post. The little girl I was working with also had a previous IEP for speech prior to me working with her. It could mean the little guy is receiving outside services which isn't unheard of. Some parents choose outside services (especially counseling) in addition to service that the school can provide.
Again true. We always did private OT, Speech and PT for our daughter in addition to what the school provided.

The OP did specify though that the child was attending speech 2x per week in school, not privately. The OT may be private as she did say it was offsite.

First of all, as a mother of a child who has extreme ADHD (we are doing more extensive test this summer because we think he might be on the spectrum), thank you for recognizing that you can do things to make school a great place for each child! We have been blessed that MOST of DS's teachers have thought the way you do and we have had wonder experiences working with them. This past year, that was not the case and it made for a horrible year of school, and now we are pushing to get an IEP next year.

Here are a few things that have helped DS:

Sensory toys in his desk. He needs to do something with his hands and if he doesn't be becomes destructive. Silly putty was always helpful, but other things that helped were magnets and velcro.

DS has a hard time looking at people who are talking, but he was always first to answer when a question was ask.

A wiggle chair or a excercise ball to sit on might help.

DS also has a hard time when he sat next to other students who were highly active or talkative. He sat next to a girl who hummed under her breath all day and it nearly took an act of God to get his teacher to move him. He could not handle the extra stimulant!

The OP did specify though that the child was attending speech 2x per week in school, not privately. The OT may be private as she did say it was offsite.

I almost asked her the same thing~if she was working for a private school? However, things are heating up and thought it best not to ask anymore questions of her.

Second (and here comes the brutal honesty), you are the reason why so many parents, especially on here, have no respect for teachers as professionals.

It saddens me to read that people on this forum have little respect for teachers as professionals. Some of us love our jobs and went into education because we truly love working with children. I have worked with students with special needs for 20 years and would hate to think my parents felt this way about me.

I almost asked her the same thing~if she was working for a private school? However, things are heating up and thought it best not to ask anymore questions of her.

It saddens me to read that people on this forum have little respect for teachers as professionals. Some of us love our jobs and went into education because we truly love working with children. I have worked with students with special needs for 20 years and would hate to think my parents felt this way about me.

you are very appreciated! It takes a special person with a huge heart to do your job and to do it for that long!

Having spent a career in developing and implementing programs and services for people with disabilities, I hate the "special person" line. I never felt special. Competent, hard working, dedicated, facilitating - yep use those.

I would imagine your school has resources available to help you with things like this. Somebody in the school has to know about this particular child. And, has others have said, he should have an IEP.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter