• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Teachers: What gifts did you receive?

LiveYourLife said:
I am enjoying all of the stories from you of what your Students have given you. I especially like the one about the student who told his Teacher he was going to work harder for the rest of the school year.

There are a couple of things that a few of my Teachers taught me that have stuck with me my entire life. I think of those Teachers often. It's a thankless profession and I see no harm in Teachers accepting small gifts from their Students during the Holiday season.

Thankfully I disagree and think many people are thankful for the teachers from their past and their children's future.

I have not said anything rude and I do not like you calling me rude.

There seems to be quite a few pages of posters who would disagree with your statement in bold. I assume this is a case of all of them being wrong and you being right? :rolleyes:

Thankfully I disagree and think many people are thankful for the teachers from their past and their children's future.

Oh, I meant no disrespect at all to Teachers. I know there are so many people out there, myself included, who are very thankful for Teachers and how important they are. Unfortunately, I think we are out-numbered by those who don't see how important a Teacher is. That is what I meant by it being a thankless profession. Teachers don't get the appreciation they deserve.

LiveYourLife said:
Oh, I meant no disrespect at all to Teachers. I know there are so many people out there, myself included, who are very thankful for Teachers and how important they are. Unfortunately, I think we are out-numbered by those who don't see how important a Teacher is. That is what I meant by it being a thankless profession. Teachers don't get the appreciation they deserve.

On MSG boards there are always extremes when it comes to this kind of thing. I only teach mine, but my husband and several family members teach, and so many kids and parents are kind and appreciative. We live in a poor poor area, so gifts are few, but people are wonderful none the less in their gratitude.

My son is not school age yet, but when I was growing up, my mother always took us shopping to pick out gifts for all our teachers. I intend to do the same.

She also had us bring in end of the year gifts, does anyone still do that?

I have no problem with giving gifts to teachers or anyone else to thank them for all their hard work, however I will say that not all teachers are deserving of appreciation and I would only give a gift to those that are. I had several teachers in grade school who were horrible to me and who made it painfully obvious who their favorite students were. The way they treated me had a pretty big impact on my self esteem and there is nothing that they did that would be deserving of a gift of appreciation.

andysomma1 said:
:furious:

I just don't have the words.

Don't let her get your goat. Obviously she has issues with public service rules, or teachers, or just wants to troll with a negative line of arguing. Not worth your time. :).

I am so grateful for all the wonderful teachers my 3 kds have had. Most of thr teachers have known have been dedicated and loving and gone into teaching for the right reasons, not for the mugs, candles and Starbuck giftcards they may get from students. I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I find bashing teachers a little more than a week after 6 of them literally gave up their lives to try to save their students pretty distasteful.

I have no problem with giving gifts to teachers or anyone else to thank them for all their hard work, however I will say that not all teachers are deserving of appreciation and I would only give a gift to those that are. I had several teachers in grade school who were horrible to me and who made it painfully obvious who their favorite students were. The way they treated me had a pretty big impact on my self esteem and there is nothing that they did that would be deserving of a gift of appreciation.

Yes and that can be said for all professions. Some people should not teach, I will agree. However, this problem some have with teachers is so over the top. I had a very mean fifth grade teacher and then she looped and became my sixth grade teacher! I still went on to be a teacher and would never let her ruin my memories of all the wonderful teachers I had. I wish I could go back and thank every single one.

I am so grateful for all the wonderful teachers my 3 kds have had. Most of thr teachers have known have been dedicated and loving and gone into teaching for the right reasons, not for the mugs, candles and Starbuck giftcards they may get from students. I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I find bashing teachers a little more than a week after 6 of them literally gave up their lives to try to save their students pretty distasteful.

Yes, I agree it is pretty sad. I wonder how she would have felt if people had bashed police officers (her husband is one) after 911.

What does your hairdresser get you for Christmas??

I'm not sure what your point is. You seem to have a huge chip on your shoulder or feel you are making some grand point.

Merry Christmas.

29 year hairdresser here and yes, I give each of my clients a little "thank you gift" at Christmas each year. It varies from year to year.

I did not expect gifts from teachers for my daughter when she was in school. We did enjoy giving teacher gifts through the years. Usually GCs for the classroom or something personal if I knew what they liked/favorite hobby etc.

Years ago, I think I would have enjoyed teaching. Nowadays, no thanks. I do a lot of teacher's hair and, I'm telling ya, I do not know how they put up with it!

My DSis and DBIL and DNephew teach. Dsis (HS) got a candy cane and a note. DNephew (HS) got GCs, Ralph Lauren polo shirts, etc. But he is young and single and I'm sure there are some crushes happening, lol.

:hug:

My kids have been blessed with some very wonderful teachers, and at Christmas and the end of the year we have always give them some sort of "token" gifts. Often they are gift cards, and then the kid colors/makes a handwritten card to go along with it. What I make a point of doing, at the end of the year, is to write a letter very specifically detailing the things that I was impressed with during the year, and how they made a difference to my child. I then deliver that letter to the teacher, and the principal.

I volunteer in the schools a lot, and amazed at how hard the teachers work, and think that they can't be thanked enough! :cheer2:

When my kids were in elementary school, we purchased games, puzzles, and books for the classroom. An alternative was a gift certificate to the local "teachers' store" where they could choose needed items for the classroom.

As an early childhood educator (while my children were still at home), I appreciated whatever I was given--ornaments, candies, cookies, homemade cards or a hug. Now that I no longer perform that service, I enjoy looking at the many ornaments I made with the children and the ornaments I received. :thumbsup2

My best gift ever was not a Christmas gift. Another teacher held class in my room during my planning period. I always had a box of pop tarts for when I was running late and did not eat breakfast. One day they disappeared during my planning period. The next day a girl brought me in a box saying she thought of me when she was grocery shopping with her mom. I thought that was so sweet.

Yes and that can be said for all professions. Some people should not teach, I will agree. However, this problem some have with teachers is so over the top. I had a very mean fifth grade teacher and then she looped and became my sixth grade teacher! I still went on to be a teacher and would never let her ruin my memories of all the wonderful teachers I had. I wish I could go back and thank every single one.

I think the point I was really trying to make is that for any profession I would look at whether or not I would want to show appreciation to the individual and what that person has done and not the profession in general.

I think some people have had bad experiences with teachers and that clouds their overall opinion of teachers and to an extent I can't really blame them, although I will say what was said by another poster was totally out of line and I do like hearing what some teachers have received as gifts.

Both my kids gave their teachers each a set of handmade Christmas placemats (made by a professional seamstress) and a handmade tote bag.

My son is not school age yet, but when I was growing up, my mother always took us shopping to pick out gifts for all our teachers. I intend to do the same.

She also had us bring in end of the year gifts, does anyone still do that?

We do. We give gifts at Christmas and at the end of the year. At Christmas it is usually Christmas placemats and tote bags and at the end of the year we give gift cards to local restaurants. I usually do $30 per teacher.

I opened this thread hoping to get ideas for teachers next year, but it appears to have gone off track :( I did not take this a bragging or anything other than just general conversation.

As a parent, with my daughters have up to 10 teachers a year, it is hard to buy for all. I made a dessert tray for the office (all staff could share in it) and then my daughter helped me make a light up Christmas tree and light up block 'present', for 2 of her teachers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter