Team 6 - Team Ohana - Check in and introduce!

Nancy - I am so sorry to hear of your diagnosis. :hug: Here is some pixie dust pixiedust: for a quick recovery from surgery. As Debra said, we want you here if it's what you want. I really hope that you'll stay. We're 'Ohana, that's family. :stitch:

Debra - Thanks for being our new captain! :thanks:

Jen B - Back to training already? Wow. :worship:

Jeanne - Thank you so much for your kind words about my race report. I think it's great that you are contemplating going Goofy! :goofy:

Nancy - I'm so glad you decided to share this with us. Keeping something to yourself can be a burden on top of what you're already carrying, and I'm glad you've let us know. :grouphug:

As for the miles, record them or don't record them as YOU wish, when you're ready again. Ohana means family, and family means nobody gets left behind. Or forgotten. It's probably corny to quote the Ohana song so quickly, but I'm going to do it anyhow, for you Nancy:

"Oh when you're down, you're feeling low
Got nobody by your side
It can be lonely and you want to only
Find a place, no need to hide
Just lay back you'll fit right in
You can make it all come true
'Cause there's always hope inside
And hope will see you through"

Julie - I agree with Jeanne - your report was inspiring. From 0 to 26.2 in just 12 short months? Incredible. Thanks for posting your report on the Kudos thread.

Debra - my answers mostly match yours:

Debra
Join this year's challenge? Yes
Track miles/minutes or scream team?Track (I need to get a better system this year - anyone have any tips?)
Want to stay with Ohana? Yes!!
Want to join another team (and meet more WISHers)? Tempting, but no
Willing to join another team?* Yes. Maybe. If we have to. But would anyone else take me? :lmao:

I am such a dork - I am realizing that that song was from the direct to DVD movie (and also the TV show) and so might be a bit more obscure than I had thought. Here's a link in case anyone wants to hear it. I think I need it for my ipod now....

Aloha, E Komo Mai

Aloha, Cousins!

I'm sorry to do a super quick check in, but I read a few posts and realized I had to at least give Nancy a :grouphug: . I am so sorry to hear about your diagnosis, but I know you are strong. We will support you however you wish, and you are an integral part of our team!

Corinna -- Do you have a little Stitch fan, too? My ds is a huge Stitch fan. His bedroom was Stitch until this summer. :stitch2:

Julie -- I'll pm you with the Half information this weekend, if not sooner. I don't think this snow will ever melt....:cold:

Debra -- Join this year's challenge? yes
Track miles/minutes or scream team? track
Want to stay with Ohana? yes
Want to join another team (and meet more WISHers)? no to the team, always up for meeting more WISHers
Willing to join another team?* if needed, for some reason

Totally onboard with the dessert/drinks Ohana mini meet! I say we go to Kona Cafe!

Jen, JenB, Mel, Jeanne -- Hola! :wave:

And whoever put that song from Grease into my head :scared: I'm going to have to use "It's a Small World" to get it back out! :rotfl2:

chang chang changity chang she-bop....

Maria :upsidedow

Debra, I meant to answer your questions in my last post, but apparently I forgot to. I think I may have left my brain in Florida. I've been daffier than usual since my return.

1. Join this year's challenge? Yes
  2. Track miles/minutes or scream team? Track
  3. Want to stay with Ohana? Yes
  4. Want to join another team (and meet more WISHers)? No
  5. Willing to join another team?* If I really have to, but I'd rather stay here

I think I may have left my brain in Florida.

Oh, Julie...I did find something extra in my luggage when we got home ;) You did great on the marathon (and your report)!!

[*]Join this year's challenge? Yes

[*]Track miles/minutes or scream team? Track

[*]Want to stay with Ohana? Yes

[*]Want to join another team (and meet more WISHers)? No, hate to be a party pooper but I really like you guys. Maybe more WISHers will come to us :)

[*]Willing to join another team?* If I really have to, but I'd rather stay here

Nancy...so sorry to hear of your recurrence. :grouphug: I used to work in oncology (solid organ chemo, mostly) if you want to chat. Do I recall correctly...you're an ICU nurse?

JenB...I'm thinking about the Princess too. DD5 wants to do the kids races.

Maria...sorry 'bout the Greasy song ;) That was the song we used at our wedding to leave the ceremony...of course, we also used the Twilight Zone theme...and DH's best man moonwalked in to Thriller. ::yes::

Last year, I was dabbling with the idea of an Ohana ice cream party that got pre-empted by another occasion. If we do the 1BDR at OKW again, we would certainly have plenty of room. DH and I were also talking about something for all WISHers that involves the kids a bit more...maybe a picnic/playdate at Fort Wilderness or POR where the WISHlets can get together and hangout. DD6 does well, but gets pretty bored at the grownup marathon weekend events.

HI team/cousins!!

Nancy - First off, we are all cousins and are here for you when you need us!!! You are strong and you did a marathon, you can make it through this!

Mel - As we discussed the other night... I LOVE those ideas. POR has a great playground and it's not too far from the food court. But, then my kids would want to swim. :lmao:

As for the team:
Track miles/minutes or scream team? Track (maybe just miles and not minutes??)
Want to stay with Ohana? Yes, I would want it no other way!
Want to join another team (and meet more WISHers)? No
Willing to join another team? Not really, I have become attached to you all!!

Thanks to all my cousins for your support. It was difficult for me to post that information, but I feel much better as Jeanne said that "the cat is out of the bag." I have to see a plastic surgeon on 2/2 to discuss options for reconstruction. My goal for 2009 was to lose weight, however doing it by losing a body part wasn't exactly what I had in mind. :confused3

Two week ago I started back on an exercise program and following WW. No high impact since that seems to cause the knee issue. So more spin classes, elipical, pilates and strength training (which I tend to avoid at all cost). The big thing at the gym has been boot camps. However, I am too old to be in the military so will avoid those classes as it seems to be for the younger group. I am going to keep up the exercise and weight loss program until I have surgery. So far I have lost 5 pounds and the clothing is not as tight. As others have said training for long distances does not work well for me to lose weight. I have gained over 20 pounds since July 2007. :sad2:

Mel-- I am the ET/WOCN Nurse. So I cover the entire hospital. If I have any questions I'll be in touch.

Corrina-- Loved the verse from the song.

Debra---Are we going to be encouraged to do charity events again this year? I hope that I will be doing RftC again this year.

I am reading the between the numbers "Plum Spooky" now. I am going to have to stock up on reading material to get me through my recovery and all those doctor visits. Last time I was going through 2 books a week then leaving them in waiting rooms for others to enjoy.

Jen, Mel, Julie, Marie, Corrina, Jeanne, Debra, JenB Thanks so much for all your kind words, support, pixiedust: AND :grouphug: .

Track miles/minutes or scream team? Track both miles/hours
Want to stay with Ohana? Yes
Want to join another team(and meet more WISHers)? No
Willing to join another team?* Not really at this time

Nancy

Aloha, Cousins!

Lots of chatter on the boards about the Teams, I'm finally finding time to read a bit. Debra and Mel are doing a great job getting our thoughts out there. Gracias! :thumbsup2

Nancy -- How do you find Plum Spooky? I'm on that endless waiting list from the public library. I'll get it eventually...:)

Jen -- I think we may stay at POR next year, so that would certainly be convenient! We won't have ds with us, but I'm all for making it easier for parents to enjoy, and POR is a very comfortable resort :thumbsup2

Mel -- After we were pronounced man and wife, our organist played the theme from Star Wars. Looking back I think Star Trek would have been more appropriate...;)

Corinna -- I'm congratulating you on your weight loss here, since the BL thread is ginormous! Great job! I know you have a busy weekend (did you guys know Corinna is a thespian?!), and like you I am just going to make sure I have plenty of healthy stuff with me, because weekends are my downfall.:scared:

Julie, JenB, Jeannie, Richard -- Everyone have an awesome weekend! :cheer2:

Since many of us are working on weight loss, I'm going to share my, um, plans. Corinna and I are both on the BL7 thread -- but it is huge and people don't seem to respond to you unless they know you, so please forgive me if I bore you guys with my weight loss efforts. Oddly enough, I feel more accountable to all of you. Well, you are my Family...I have a plan for my dinner tonight (Friday night is usually the start of a big slide), so hopefully that will carry over into a weekend that is not a foodfest of fun. We eat out every Friday night, so I'm having potato gnocci, which was the lowest point (I'm doing WW) pasta option I could find.

So anyway, since I started 1/2 (with an obvious break for Disney goodness), I've lost 5 lbs. Some weeks have been better than others, but my general plan is to keep this going! :woohoo:

Maria :upsidedow

Maria - We actually have 3 or 4 Stitch fans here. :) For a while, we were not such huge fans. My oldest was a very sensitive little guy and got horrified by one of the TV episodes - Poxy - where they go inside Pleakley's body to get the experiment and got attacked by the immune system and nearly exploded Pleakley's brain when the shrink ray was wearing off. Something about that horrified him and he even got upset at the very mention of Stitch for a few years there. My youngest, though, is not so sensitive, and thankfully, years have brought some rationality to the other one, so now we can all enjoy Stitch together. We just LOVED that last Stitch direct to DVD movie "Leroy and Stitch"
Hamsterviel: "What is the matter with you??"
Gantu: "I have a bad knee!"

and that business about riding in the Backity-back! I just love it.

And Maria - congratulations to YOU on your big loss this week! Very impressive! You're right it is a large thread there. I do enjoy the questions of the day, though. And the regular weigh in.

Mel - your wedding sounds awesome. I would love to do an Ohana meet next year, whether at Kona, OKW, POFQ or DTD. Scheduling is the most challenging part, I suppose. I would kind of love to meet at the Poly with our group because I think that would be the optimal location for our 2010 Team Photo. :) We've got plenty of time to plan, though! Thanks for finding me on Facebook, too! :thumbsup2

Nancy - it sounds like we're on the WW train together! Are you going to meetings or doing online? I'm just tracking online and would love to be able to get away with not going to meetings, but I may end up going anyhow at some point. Especially with the "new" program, I kind of feel like some coaching might be helpful.

It does not seem fair that all that distance does not translate into pounds lost, does it??? I definitely started out with the idea that it would, but the fact is, I can always eat at least as much as I burn if I'm not careful, I guess. :sad2:

As for the questions, I think I match most of the team:

Join this year's challenge? yes
Track miles: yes
Stay with Ohana: yes
Join another team: preferably not
Willing to join another: if I have to, but I like it here with my cousins

--I'm all for a thinner Ohana next year, I'm also on the trying to lose weight brigade, not too much success so far, I seem to lose and regain the same 5 pounds, but I'm working on it.

Hi Ohana Family.

Sorry I've been missing lately. Good news is that I have continued with my training and next weekend I have my first 1/2 marathon. I'm just starting to get nervous.

I'd love to stay on the team, if you'll have me. But if you guys need to redistribute some of us, I understand - as I know I have been less active than many on this board.

Track miles/minutes or scream team? Prefer not to
Want to stay with Ohana? Yes
Want to join another team (and meet more WISHers)? No
Willing to join another team?* Yes

As for my plans this year, well, I have the Huntington Beach 1/2 marathon Feb 1 and then I've also signed up for the DL 1/2 marathon. Plus, I'm turning the big 4-0 this December, so I'd like to figure out something incredible to do for the occassion.

Woo Hoo!! A lot of cousins are returning for 2009. I'm going to contact Richard, Robert and Linda, Denny, Morgan, and Kayci via PM. Am I missing anyone else? I love that we're going to have a mini-meet next January--and hopefully see each other at other events! :grouphug:

Mel: I have songs from Grease on my playlists! Just call me Greased Lightning. I really like the ideas of an ice-cream social (when have I not liked ice cream?) and/or a WISHlets gathering. You're very generous with your space, thank you! And I know we can all work together and pull something off. If we start pencilling in something now, hopefully it will give everyone a chance to make travel arrangements and family plans. :goodvibes

Jen: 2009 will be your year, promise! About POR...would the kids not be allowed to swim in the pool--is that a pool hopping thing?

Julie: I loved reading your RR. It's very inspirational, and I hope all our WISH newbie teammates who read it see that they can follow in your footsteps! :goodvibes Oh, and I think my brain likes it in FL. That's where most of my daydreaming takes place.

JenB: Some PD to you for the princess half. Or maybe that's glitter for your tiara?! pixiedust: You and Mel could hang out!

Jeanne: If you don't want to track your miles, I don't think there's any problem with not doing so even if other cousins do. At least not from my p.o.v. Just so long as you let us know the fabulous progress you're making on your goals! :thumbsup2

Corrina: If you're corny, we're all corny! :flower3: Congrats on your weight loss with the BL challenge! :thumbsup2 Pictures of Ohana at the Poly do seem appropriate, don't they?

Maria: You win the award for best answer: "always up for meeting more WISHers"! That IS really what we all mean, I know! Is Dennis in for this year's challenge--will you be tracking for him? Would he like to log into the DIS? And congrats on YOUR weight loss! :cool1: I think it's great that so many of us have similar goals!

Nancy: I'm so glad that you feel good about telling us. And that you've got plans in place, which includes the fabulous news of 5 pounds down! You're setting the example for all of us who are experiencing that tight-clothes feeling. :cheer2:

JenG: You're Ohana as long as you'd like to be! It doesn't sound like Panda Dave, at this point, it going to switch the teams around (an idea that was mentioned at one point). Does your response mean you'd prefer not to track miles/minutes? You've got some sweeeet races planned. What a great way to celebrate your turning-40 year. (And join the cougar brigade. ;) )

Re, Nancy's question about charity events: On the new thread (Monday?) I'll try to put our collective race calendar within the first couple of pages so that we can all keep track of each others' events. I'm also planning on encouraging everyone to do charity events, but keeping it updated all year long (sorry about that). I know for sure I'll be doing RftC as I have the local Pgh RftC to fall back on if I can't travel to another!

As for me: XT today. Making jambalya for DOOD, because he's sick and requested it. It's an odd request to make of a vegetarian. Maybe he thinks I like the challenge? :confused3 (Seriously, I don't have any idea how to cook meat.)

P.S. Soooo, what did anyone think of Lost? Besides the shirtless Sawyer? Remember, early on in the series they promised us the show was grounded in science. They just didn't tell us what kind.

Maria: You win the award for best answer: "always up for meeting more WISHers"! That IS really what we all mean, I know! Is Dennis in for this year's challenge--will you be tracking for him? Would he like to log into the DIS? And congrats on YOUR weight loss! :cool1: I think it's great that so many of us have similar goals!

P.S. Soooo, what did anyone think of Lost? Besides the shirtless Sawyer? Remember, early on in the series they promised us the show was grounded in science. They just didn't tell us what kind.

Dennis is in, he'll be tracking miles and minutes. He's not interested in posting, but he does like the challenge.

Shirtless Sawyer was definitely a bonus. If only shirtless Sayid had been conscious...I've come to the conclusion the show is clearly grouded in Science Fiction! :rotfl2: Ben is just not good. No matter how many times I try to convince myself he will be redeemed, something happens to reinforce the fact that he's a baddie. ::yes::

I'm off to contemplate the wonder that is Jamie Bamber. Debra, you are such a good egg to give up BSG. I just don't think I have it in me! ;)

Maria

Team Ohana dinner at Ohana after the full on Sunday?

I've never seen Lost...worth a Netflix rental?

Count me in on the weight loss wagon...I need to drop 15 or 20 lbs I don't remember wanting.

Maria...Star Wars theme is cool...Star Trek would've worked too. We had Twilight Zone theme...and DD16 (she was 4 at the time) and I came into Kiss the Girl. How's your chin healing up?

I FEEL THE LOVE.... DO YOU ALL FEEL THE LOVE???

Mel - Ohana's rocks. This was the first year that we didn't celebrate at Ohana's and I missed it!!!

JenG: You're Ohana as long as you'd like to be! It doesn't sound like Panda Dave, at this point, it going to switch the teams around (an idea that was mentioned at one point). Does your response mean you'd prefer not to track miles/minutes? You've got some sweeeet races planned. What a great way to celebrate your turning-40 year. (And join the cougar brigade. ;) )

OK, clearly I'm confused. I guess not tracking isn't an option. I am keeping track on paper, so I can easily track. Just let me know what to do. :thumbsup2

Thanks so much for the welcome!

Alright already, I'll track if everyone else does. I AM a team player afterall. I just want to warn you that my mileage will be on the low side since I am going to hold off serious training until I get some of the weight off.

Happy to see that so many folks want to stick with Ohana......I DO feel the love!

Jeanne-- I see you changed to avatar to the dolphin swim we took on the cruise. You will be proud of me I finally put on my pictures into a photo album. Then I went to Sam's today and ordered prints of all the pictures that I have been storing since our cruise in 2004. Now to only remember where the pictures were taken and the year.:rotfl:

Glad so many are staying. Love my Ohana cousins.

Jen G --I printed out a calendar from walk.about.com that I keep track of my miles/minutes. I was doing that before we had to actually track for teams. Here is a link if anyone is interested. http://walking.about.com/od/howtowal1/u/workouts.htm#s5

Marie--Congratuations on the weight loss. I had looked at the Biggest Loser Thread, but it was massive. I think Beth posted that we are doing a little BL competetion at work Beth, me and another friend. Each put in $20 so the winner gets $60.

Corrina--I have been a WW lifetime member for nearly 20 years. I hate the meetings. The first time around I found them helpful, but not any more. I"m just started following last year's plan. I have a 3 month point tracker that I bought last year and never used so using that. If I get stalled, then I will make a trip back to get weighed and pick up the new information.

Debra--Are you the team captain this year? I must have missed that somewhere.

I watched the first hour of Lost and then read recap on 2nd hour as I feel asleep and am trying to catch up with watching it online. So loved shirtless Sawyer. There was so much going on, that the recaps helped me to sort it all out. I can never figure out if Ben is good or bad. It will be interesting how it all pans out.

Mel--Sometimes LOST has a show that recaps everything from the beginning, it is a good way to know what is happening. Unless you have alot of time to watch all the DVDs that would be a good option.

As for me I did a spin class Friday evening and another one this morning. My legs are really tired after all that, so will take Sunday off.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend everyone.

Nancy

Initially, I planned to separate from the team due to a change in my training plans. I think I overdid the running last year,and ran into knee issues. I want to take some time off of running, or at least cut back for a while, to allow my knee soreness to reduce. In the mean time, I'm still working out, but not with running.

So... with that being said, I'd be happy to continue on as part of the team knowing that my miles will be low, but my time should be decent. If that's OK, I'd be happy to not turn in my Ohana card.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter