Teasing at 50s Prime Time?

Kitty-chan

Cheese is always the answer
Hi all,

I'd like to eat at 50s Prime Time, but I'm afraid DS9 won't do well with the teasing. If I understand right based on something I heard on Mouse Tunes, it sounds like diners are chastised, teased, and perhaps even "punished" by having to sing "I'm a Little Teapot!" DS9 has Asperger's, and is highly sensitive to anything he percieves as mean humor, so taking him there sounds like a disaster in the making. Can anybody tell me more about what it's like?

Yes, it is all in good fun, but if your son is sensitive to this kind of teasing, I'd take him elsewhere. It doesn't happen to everybody all the time, but usually there is at least one diner in each section who is either standing in the corner for not clearing his plate or being coaxed to eat/spoon fed his green beans by the waitress. It can be pretty funny, and this kind of thing actually encourages my young niece to clean her plate (and become a member of the clean plate club!), but if your son is sensitive to teasing, maybe you should try a different restaurant. Mama Melrose's might be a good idea...it is calm and relaxing inside, and we found the food to be pretty good.

leebee said:
usually there is at least one diner in each section who is either standing in the corner for not clearing his plate or being coaxed to eat/spoon fed his green beans by the waitress

OMG my poor son would be mortified.

I am sooooo glad I listened to Mouse Tunes and it prompted me to ask this question here! I'm cancelling that ADR right away!

It is very sarcastic teasing so he will not understand it at all my son would not "get it" and be upset by it if he was picked out.

JenJen said:
It is very sarcastic teasing so he will not understand it at all my son would not "get it" and be upset by it if he was picked out.
Thanks for sharing that! It feels better to not be the only one.

I was hoping if the teasing wasn't that public, I could just gently ask the CMs to not tease my son, but since you can often see other diners being teased, I just went ahead and cancelled the ADR. My son would be very upset if he was picked out, or even just to watch others being teased. I'm sure it's fun and good-natured, but not for everybody. My son just doesn't like that kind of humor.

I feel like these are the moments when my obsessive planning pays off! :wizard:

Now there was a disater averted! Have you considered Sci-Fi Drive in? My youngest son was mesmerized by the darkness and the movies. He is usually over active in a sit-down restaurant but he was very calm there.

We went to 50's Prime Time for dinner back in June 2004. We had our MAW buttons on since we were at WDW for ddaughter's wish trip. Our waiter was somewhat lame, he didn't tease much at all, I don't know if it was because we had our MAW buttons on or if he is usually like this. My ds was 7 at the time, he is high functioning autistic/aspergers. It worked out pretty well for us. We did see that another waitress did do a lot of teasing at other tables by us. My dson actually enjoyed the teasing going on, but he does have a sense of humor to all that. My dh and I did warn the kids beforehand when I made the ressies that this restaurant will have some teasing, just for fun stuff and don't take it seriously if they happen to get teased.
I guess it depends which waitress/waiter you get.

For your son, it probably be best to go somewhere else for dinner if you don't want to take a chance which waitress you will get.

Rosemarie :flower:

minkydog said:
Now there was a disater averted! Have you considered Sci-Fi Drive in? My youngest son was mesmerized by the darkness and the movies. He is usually over active in a sit-down restaurant but he was very calm there.
I second the Sci-Fi.
It's really a fun atmosphere. Here's a page about it.

SueM in MN said:
I second the Sci-Fi.
It's really a fun atmosphere. Here's a page about it.
Good call -- the Sci-Fi is his absolute favorite. Last trip we went there three times in a four-day stay! And I really like it too, actually. :blush:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter