Teasing towards those on ECV's

So I will be using a scooter on this upcoming trip for the very first time. It has taken a lot of coaxing from others to get me to this point but I live with so much pain and WDW will only exacerbate it. I was watching some youtube videos of the parks, like I do most nights, lol, and heard somebody yell in the background towards a person on an ECV, "look, another guy on a fatmobile". My heart sank for this poor person and then immediately turned selfishly towards myself. I'm only 36 and it is already taking a toll on my pride to consider using one. I am a bit overweight and could just imagine the stares and judgmental comments. What have your experiences been? Please be honest, is it that bad? I know my dear friends (more like family) will stick up for me but it still stings. It is hard enough living in agony everyday and having people judging me for being on disability. I am a pretty strong person but I've got feelings too. Most things role off my back but after having my health go down even further the last two years some things sting more s I'm not super secure with where I'm at.

I remember very vividly the first time I had to use an ECV at WDW. I thought I was going to die from sadness and humiliation and mortification. We were in the parks, and I had to call a vendor to bring out an ECV because I just couldn't walk anymore.

And then a funny thing happened.

I didn't die! (Look! You can tell, because I'm right here! LOL)

In fact, I had an *awesome* trip! Because I didn't hurt, we could stay and play all day in the parks. Because I wasn't limping from bench to bench, we could actually make progress - and go and see more, and do more. Because I wasn't so physically and emotionally wrung out at the end of the day from dealing with my pain, I was a much more pleasant traveling companion, and so by extension, everyone with me was happier as well.

Over the years, I have learned something important: The people you are with will take their cues from you. If you are upset and unhappy and scared and angry about using an ECV, they will be as well. If, on the other hand, you treat it as a non-event, they most likely will as well.

Using an ECV is not a "cop out". It's not a "fail". It's simply using the best possible available TOOL to get the most possible enjoyment from your vacation.

If you need glasses, do you refuse to wear them, going through life squinting at everyone and everything? Probably not.

If you need to use a calculator to do math, do you refuse to touch it, and instead resort to pencil and paper - or counting on toes and fingers? Probably not.

Both of those - glasses and calculators - are TOOLS that we use every day to make our lives more efficient. At WDW, many people use an ECV as a tool to improve both their stamina, and their enjoyment of the vacation, and to manage pain.

There are many people who rent ECVs only at WDW - in their "regular" lives, they never need one or use one. If you are worried about other peoples perceptions of you, please don't be. The likelihood that you will EVER see any other guest from WDW again is so incredibly tiny that you have a better chance of getting hit by lightning AND winning the lottery in the same day.

So that you can have the best trip possible, here's a few tips from an old pro, just for you:

- Plan ahead if you are flying. Remember that long lines at TSA - and long concourses inside terminals - can be problematic. You may want to consider bringing along a folding rollator or a wheelchair that someone in your party could push if you think you will need it.

- Similarly, if flying in to MCO, be sure to let DME know if you will need to use a lift to get in and out of the DME bus.

- Practicing your ECV driving and parking skills with the electric carts at Wal-Mart, Target, Lowe's, the grocery store, etc. will help a great deal. If you can tame one of those giant, wheezing beasties, a mere rental at WDW will be a breeze! :)

- Please remember that WDW has a rule - for everyone's safety - that only you ride the ECV. You will undoubtedly see people holding children on their laps while driving their scooters, but it's very dangerous, and I hope you will agree that safety comes first. One ECV, one rider.

- Bring a brightly colored scarf, ribbon or bandana to tie on your rental scooter. It will help it stand out in a sea of similar units (if you park it to ride, eat, or shop a bit).

- Remember to plug the scooter in at night to charge it. The scooter should be delivered with a full battery, but it will be up to you to make sure it is charged every night.

Speaking of your room, you will have to park the ECV in your room every night, so if you need to make a bit of space, ask for the table and chairs to be removed. You are not allowed to park it outside in a hallway or breezeway, or down at the lobby or bell services. If you just can't stand to have it in the room, go to the Front Desk, and work with the Concierge services to identify a location where it can be safely stowed and charged at night.

- If the scooter has a key, always take it with you.

- Don't be surprised if you park the ECV and it is moved when you return. The Cast Members are in a constant struggle to keep walkways clear and safe, as well as making sure that parking areas for mobility devices and strollers stay reasonably tidy. You will typically find it quite nearby, but if you don't, just ask any CM you see, and they will help you find it. (And here, our bandana or brightly colored ribbon will come in handy!)

- Remember to stay sharp and focused while driving the ECV - people at WDW tend to be doing everything but paying attention when they are walking, and many of us here have had folks run right into us, or walk right in front of us as we are moving!

Bipeds don't realize that many scooters can't just stop on a dime; some of them "coast" a bit before coming to a complete stop, even if the driver is hard on the brakes. To help keep everyone safe and whole, I try to make eye contact, smile politely, and offer an cheerful "Excuse me!" when needed, but know that you WILL at some point find yourself nearly running over someone who is either texting, taking a "selfie" or posting their latest selfie to Instagram. Little nuggets are also prone to running out in front of mobility devices because they are blissfully unaware of the laws of physics.

- Probably the hardest things you will do with the ECV all revolves around dealing with the buses. Make sure you are parked in the white painted rectangle at the bus stop (unless another guest beat you to it) so that the driver sees you, and knows you are waiting to ride.

When the ramp comes down, line up on the ramp, and try to go right up the center. At the top of the ramp you will typically have to turn a bit to the right. GO SLOWLY, especially until you are used to the ECV. Even experienced users take this carefully - the last thing you want is to run over the driver, or hit the side of the doorway going in. The drivers will give you instructions and will help as much as they can, but *technically* it is up to you (or a member of your party) to actually get the ECV up into (or back out of) the bus. You will always board first, and exit last.

- Practice a bit with your rental (at the Resort is a great spot for this) prior to going in to the parks. Get used to how it handles, turns, stops and starts. Every ECV is a bit different (just like any other vehicle). I have 2 personal ECVs, identical models and they each have their own "personality" (and name. Because I'm weird like that LOL)

- A few miscellaneous driving tips: anytime at WDW (or anytime using an ECV for that matter) be aware of ramps, hills and slopes. Going up, you will want to lean forward slightly to help shift your center of gravity towards the front of the ECV. Take your time on steep slopes, hills or ramps, and if possible, approach them at a slight angle at the base.

Coming down, be very aware of your speed, and make sure you can brake effectively. This is not the time to try and drink your Starbucks; two hands on the wheel!

When crossing the train tracks embedded in Main Street at MK, be sure to cross at an angle. Otherwise, you risk the wheel(s) getting caught, and you could find yourself dumped rather unceremoniously onto Main Street. Everyone wants to have an unforgettable trip - just for the right reasons!

°o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o°

Don't ever worry about being "normal". "Normal" is a setting on the washing machine.

Please don't let that define you. I'm not "normal". Never really have been, and sure won't ever be in the future. That's OK.

My mom was a Special Needs teacher, and she told me once that everyone has something. Everyone - every human on the planet - has something "wrong" with them. It might be that they have a hard time with math. Maybe they are dyslexic. Maybe they are color blind. Maybe their legs don't work right. They don't have a sense of humor. They can't remember a joke to save their life. They have no sense of direction. It doesn't matter - no one is perfect. Everyone has "something" Some people just hide their "something" better than others.

So don't let your "something" define you.

Have a Magical trip - and remember that your scooter is just a tool to help you, and have fun!

"look, another guy on a fatmobile". My heart sank for this poor person and then immediately turned selfishly towards myself. I'm only 36 and it is already taking a toll on my pride to consider using one. I am a bit overweight and could just imagine the stares and judgmental comments.

1) Please remember, there are rude people out there.
2) But, there also people who really don't need an ECV, but grab one anyhow.
3) So, it is a toss up.
4) if you really need one, you need to ignore negative comments and/or insults.

I don't know if this would be helpful to anyone, but DD15, who has had several knee surgeries for discoid meniscus, had severe knee issues during one trip. She could not walk for several days and we decided to tour with a wheelchair. I was worried about the comments we might receive about our seemingly able daughter. I decided that by not paying attention to those concerns and just touring and having fun with the family, I would probably miss most of the negative comments. I don't know if it worked, but I did not hear any. I might have seen several looks, but I tried not to divert my attention from those that looked like they were judging the situation. It lowered my stress level quite a bit and mostly didn't feel any different than our normal trips. As others have said, I think that if you're operating your ECV safely and with consideration, the negative comments should be minimal. I hope you have a great trip without any rude comments, but if they do, it's on them and not you. There is nothing to be ashamed of as ECV's are available to make people who need them be able to vacation at WDW.

Here are top 5 Reasons that people think they shouldn't get an ECV when they should.

I can't drive one. Go to your local Costco/Walmart/Target or other large store. They probably have an electric cart type thing that you could use while shopping. Try it out. I bet you can drive it.

People might think I don't really need it because I can walk. Are these people going to share the pain with you at the end of the day? Do you care what they think? Save your walking energy between rides and use it for lines or getting on the rides. Enjoy your family and your vacation.

It will slow my family down. No, actually it will speed your family up. No more rests because mom is tired. No more going back to the hotel because grandpa is in pain. No more cranky mommy because she tried to walk miles and miles in Disney instead of renting an ECV. You are completely mobile on your own (nobody pushing you in a wheelchair). What's the slow down here?

It's expensive. Um, how much are you spending on this vacation? Don't you want to enjoy it? If money is that tight, take a day off of your trip and spend that money on the ECV so you can enjoy it!

I don't want my kids/family to think I am disabled. You are either temporarily or permanently disabled in some way if you are even asking about this issue...once again, why not make it a better vacation by saving yourself from pain? Nobody is saying you have to confine yourself to a wheelchair permanently or you should not stop trying to get better. If somebody told you to go walk 4 miles, you would think they are crazy. But you are paying for the privilege when you go to Disney to do just that...why not use an ECV to make your family's vacation better?

If I can take a solo trip using an ECV for the first time, you will be fine. I broke my ankle bad & had to cancel one WDW trip but re-booked it for a couple months later with plans to rent an ECV. I was staying on property so that made it much easier to pick it up at bell services after checking in & returning it the day I checked out. I had no issues operating it, the luggage CM who signed it out to me was great with instructions on how to use it. I even got compliments from bus drivers & guests about my parallel parking skills, lol!

There were a couple times I felt a bit nervous or insecure but I reminded myself I was at Disney & quickly dropped my worries. It was a great trip! I ended up meeting my current b/f in the parks during this trip (of course, the Last thing I ever expected to happen!). :)

I've been using a scooter at Disney for almost ten years. The first two trips I rented, but I've had my own for a long time and I bring it from home. I'm not overweight, but I am very small and I look much younger than I am. Apparently, I look too young to be allowed to drive a scooter by myself, and it doesn't help that I need it because of disabling rheumatoid arthritis, which isn't immediately visible. In other words I look like some smart alec teenager tooling around irresponsibly on a scooter so that I don't have to walk or wait in lines. I know this, because people used to stop me and lecture me while I was in the parks.

I don't worry about it much anymore because the last few years I've had a beautiful matching set of thick, livid purple scars on my knees as a result of a bilateral knee replacement, and a similar one on my shoulder. And this year, I'll be wearing tiny strap sandals that show off the fresh scarring on both sides of my ankle from a joint fusion. That being said, in the years when I only had a double hip replacement and the scars were hidden under my shirts, I found another way to stop people from looking at me and deducing that I didn't seem disabled enough to need a scooter.

It was simple: I wrapped a bright pink Ace bandage around my knee.

That's it. One look at that and nobody ever thought that I didn't "deserve" to use a scooter, ever again. Of course, it was never anybody's damn business to begin with, but I really understand how you feel. You're worried that people will see you as a fat person riding a scooter because you're too lazy to walk, and that's complete nonsense but some particularly nasty and judgemental small minds will think it anyway. Everytime you notice someone looking at you, you're afraid that's what they're thinking and it makes you self-conscious and upset, at Disney World, where nobody should ever feel bad.

Try the Ace bandage trick. People see it, and understand immediately why you can't walk through the parks, and stop assuming it must be due to your weight. It will help your confidence and make your trip happier, and everyone wins.

There are a lot of prejudices that surface when you pack a lot of strangers into one spot. If I give some idea on how to keep jerks from being a jerk to you, please don't take it to mean that I support them being jerks to other people.

Obesity is an easy target for the mean-minded. A common opinion is that a very heavy person is to blame for their own weight and so someone who has gotten so big that they can no longer walk for themselves has earned a little public shaming. Whatever else is or is not true, very few (yet not zero) things excuse rudeness and I don't condone it.

But, if you worry about getting the evil eye or insulted for riding in an ECV, it will help to make it clear that the scooter solves a problem that you did not create. Go get one of those full length knee braces, or where an eye patch.

If you can, use a power wheelchair instead of a mobility scooter. People see one of those and assume something is up. People see those scooters every time they go to Walmart.

Likely, even if people do make comments, they will be cowardly about it and not do it so you can hear.

More than anything else, just do what you must to enjoy your trip. I recommend gin.

I used an ECV when I went to Disney the first time in 2013. I was in a massive car accident in 2010 that crushed my legs and required a five month hospital stay before I could even consider walking. Today, I walk small distances, exercise at the Y five times a week using incumbent bicycles and water walking to alleviate the pressure on my legs, and try to be as active as I can, but I still need an ECV when shopping at Walmart or other large stores. I can walk better than I can stand, if it makes sense. That ECV made all the difference in the world for my family being able to have a good time.

BTW, I weigh 320 lbs. I use a cane when I walk. Idiots who don't know my story can say whatever the heck they want...I'm doing what I need to do in order to get the most out of my Disney experience. I'm going back in March 2017 and look forward to the fact that more of the queues will accommodate my ECV.

Biggest thing that mortified me was keeping my speed down - I did bump into a couple of people and was extremely sorry. Under normal circumstances people wouldn't make a big deal, but with the stress of the park and whatever else is going on in their world, it's better for me to just slow down. If you're nervous about driving one, test a couple at Walmart and somesuch before you go, and see if you can rent one that has adjustable speed so you're not depending on your grip to determine the speed.

Have fun! I plan to!

I remember very vividly the first time I had to use an ECV at WDW. I thought I was going to die from sadness and humiliation and mortification. We were in the parks, and I had to call a vendor to bring out an ECV because I just couldn't walk anymore.

And then a funny thing happened.

I didn't die! (Look! You can tell, because I'm right here! LOL)

In fact, I had an *awesome* trip! Because I didn't hurt, we could stay and play all day in the parks. Because I wasn't limping from bench to bench, we could actually make progress - and go and see more, and do more. Because I wasn't so physically and emotionally wrung out at the end of the day from dealing with my pain, I was a much more pleasant traveling companion, and so by extension, everyone with me was happier as well.

Sounds just like I was the first time I used an ECV. I was solo and I remember calling home and crying so hard-"I actually had to get an ECV!" Like the OP, I was terrified of what people would say. But I found that everyone was so nice and polite. One of my little fears was getting to a door and how to open it. Well, that never happened-I had always had people running to hold open the door for me. Isn't it a shame that so many of us experience that feeling of mortification?

I've been using a scooter at Disney for almost ten years. The first two trips I rented, but I've had my own for a long time and I bring it from home. I'm not overweight, but I am very small and I look much younger than I am. Apparently, I look too young to be allowed to drive a scooter by myself, and it doesn't help that I need it because of disabling rheumatoid arthritis, which isn't immediately visible. In other words I look like some smart alec teenager tooling around irresponsibly on a scooter so that I don't have to walk or wait in lines. I know this, because people used to stop me and lecture me while I was in the parks.

I don't worry about it much anymore because the last few years I've had a beautiful matching set of thick, livid purple scars on my knees as a result of a bilateral knee replacement, and a similar one on my shoulder. And this year, I'll be wearing tiny strap sandals that show off the fresh scarring on both sides of my ankle from a joint fusion. That being said, in the years when I only had a double hip replacement and the scars were hidden under my shirts, I found another way to stop people from looking at me and deducing that I didn't seem disabled enough to need a scooter.

It was simple: I wrapped a bright pink Ace bandage around my knee.

That's it. One look at that and nobody ever thought that I didn't "deserve" to use a scooter, ever again. Of course, it was never anybody's damn business to begin with, but I really understand how you feel. You're worried that people will see you as a fat person riding a scooter because you're too lazy to walk, and that's complete nonsense but some particularly nasty and judgemental small minds will think it anyway. Everytime you notice someone looking at you, you're afraid that's what they're thinking and it makes you self-conscious and upset, at Disney World, where nobody should ever feel bad.

Try the Ace bandage trick. People see it, and understand immediately why you can't walk through the parks, and stop assuming it must be due to your weight. It will help your confidence and make your trip happier, and everyone wins.
This is me too. I have 2huge scars on me knees that keep people from saying anything about the Ecv, but actually, that isn't the reason I need it, but it's easier to let people think it is.

Not all mobility scooters are created equally, and for many folks, they are using one for the first time. There is no excuse for running up on someone's foot or other body part. I tour in my own scooter, and can't tell you the times people have walked right into me because I was below their line of vision. They don't run into kids, but for some reason you and your scooter may be invisible. Take some time to learn how the scooter handles and be aware that the handles that push the throttle can be accidentally engaged by being bumped with a package or when you are getting on or off IF YOU DON'T TURN YOU KEY OFF everytime you stop. Seriously, it is easy to start moving unintentionally if your power is on. Other than that, let any comments roll off you and watch out for the distracted pedestrians who don't see you. There will be many as they are probably scanning the crowd to find their party. Scooters are not a part of most people's everyday, so they simply don't have them on their radar in crowds. My motto is "A day in my scooter at Disney is better than staying home or being in pain."

In my experience, rude people are rude. There is very little you can do to change it, so just ignore them.

I use a custom ultra-light very expensive manual wheelchair. It is very clearly NOT a park chair. I push myself, and I use it every day. And there are STILL people who are rude to me about it. They climb on me, tell me they wish THEY needed a chair so they can sit, complain about me being too fast or too slow, complain that I skip lines (nevermind I usually wait even LONGER), and - of course - suggest I don't really need a chair because I stand to get on a ride.

It really used to bother me, but at this point, I just feel sorry that on a magical vacation, in the happiest place on Earth, they are concerned about whether my rump is in a seat. It is just sad and kinda pathetic. So I ignore people who are determined to be unhappy and have a wonderful time.

I hope you have a wonderful trip!

Reading this thread has made me so ANGRY. What is WRONG with people? While of course people must try to use vehicles properly and safely, if anyone makes a comment regarding someone else who may or may not be permanently or temporarily physically disabled or otherwise not capable of handling the walking at WDW, instead of focusing on their own families at the Happiest Place on Earth, it is THEIR problem. They are miserable human beings with negative feelings in their hearts and we should all feel sorry for THEM (while of course going on our own merry way enjoying our vacations, whether it be from the vantage point of strollers, boogie boards, ECV's, wheelchairs, feet, walkers or canes or otherwise)!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter