Teen went to the ocean with sunblock and still got burned---what can we put on it

Krischaser

DIS Veteran
DVC Silver
So my teen is on spring break and went to the ocean with sunblock on and still got pretty burned. Anything he can do to help his skin?

Thanks!

I swear by lavender essential oils mixed into the aloe Vera. I burn quite easily and usually notice a big improvement using that mixture within a few hours.

Ouch! One thing to be careful of is to not use lotions or creams that have any of these things listed in the ingredients: petroleum, benzocaine, or lidocaine. Things with petroleum trap the heat in your skin. Benzocaine and lidocaine can bother and irritate your skin.
Encourage him to drink lots of water. Hope he feels better soon!

After this, direct him to a shop that sells swim shirts. My son burned on a trip to the beach and learned a lesson about how strong the sun is nearer the equator. I easily convinced him to let me buy him a shirt to allow him to enjoy our vacation without further pain. You can put sunscreen on until the cows come home, but if you are out in the sun long enough some people are going to burn.

Coconut oil works awesome on sunburn AND kitchen or curling iron burns. Get the good stuff though.

Aloe vera gel or lotion without the petroleum

Also pure cocoa butter is good for restoring the moisture, calming the burning sensation etc.

Drink plenty of Water!

This happened to my middle son a few years ago....my lesson learned
Do not apply OTC (Over the counter) products to large area before testing his skin's sensitivity to the stuff (my son had a bad reaction).
# number 5 is super important to avoid skin infections.
Remember Vaseline (petroleum jelly) , and oil based products can block pores,, preventing heat and sweat from escaping.

Follow the American Academy Assoc Of Dermatology
Quote:
"How to treat sunburn
Your skin can burn if it gets too much sun without proper protection from sunscreen and clothes. To help heal and soothe stinging skin, it is important to begin treating sunburn as soon as you notice it. The first thing you should do is get out of the sun—and preferably indoors.

Once indoors, these dermatologists’ tips can help relieve the discomfort:

1. Take frequent cool baths or showers to help relieve the pain. As soon as you get out of the bathtub or shower, gently pat yourself dry, but leave a little water on your skin. Then, apply a moisturizer to help trap the water in your skin. This can help ease the dryness.
  2. Use a moisturizer that contains aloe vera or soy to help soothe sunburned skin. If a particular area feels especially uncomfortable, you may want to apply a hydrocortisone cream that you can buy without a prescription. Do not treat sunburn with “-caine” products (such as benzocaine), as these may irritate the skin or cause an allergic reaction.
  3. Consider taking aspirin or ibuprofen to help reduce any swelling, redness and discomfort.
  4. Drink extra water. A sunburn draws fluid to the skin’s surface and away from the rest of the body. Drinking extra water when you are sunburned helps prevent dehydration.
  5. If your skin blisters, allow the blisters to heal. Blistering skin means you have a second-degree sunburn. You should not pop the blisters, as blisters form to help your skin heal and protect you from infection.
  6. Take extra care to protect sunburned skin while it heals. Wear clothing that covers your skin when outdoors. Tightly-woven fabrics work best. When you hold the fabric up to a bright light, you shouldn’t see any light coming through.
Although it may seem like a temporary condition, sunburn—a result of skin receiving too much exposure from the sun’s ultraviolet (UV) rays—can cause long-lasting damage to the skin. This damage increases a person’s risk for getting skin cancer, making it critical to protect the skin from the sun."

Hugs Mel

Last edited:
Poor guy! Yep, in terms of prevention, I put my kids in swim shirts all the time. Also, because we also get to deal with uber sensitive skin (as in neutrogena baby sunscreen gave DD a chemical burn), we have to be careful with the sunscreens we use. We use vanicream. I like Blue Lizard but that made DS break out in a rash. There is also COTZ but that's hard to work in. Remember to reapply, reapply, reapply. For the sunburn, aloe vera is your friend. Lots of water to help the new skin. Also a cool baking soda bath can help too. You can google how to do that. Good luck!

An ER doctor told me years ago to use Preparation H and it worked very well.

I had a sunburn bad enough to go to a Doctor. He gave me a prednisone shot and prescription strength cortisone cream. Drugstores sell a lower strength cortisone cream. I would have him use that and take aspirin or advil, both for pain relief and to knock down inflammation.

Your son probably isn’t but I’m allergic to aloe so I cannot do aloe vera when I get burned (makes it a million times worse).

I make sure I drink plenty water and use lotion for sensitive skin. If it is really bad I will take a lukewarm bath with oatmeal.

Aloe Vera- check the ingredients list to make sure there is no alcohol. Accidentally applied that to a cousin once swearing up and down it would help her and to get better and then to my bewilderment it burned like heck (it was a new bottle and we looked closer and saw “alcohol” in the ingredients list, she was fine with our older aloe). If the skin absorbs it, another layer. Repeat until the skin stops absorbing and let the remnants stay.

Staying hydrated will certainly help as well.

To prevent it I recommend throwing that sunblock out. By a different brand or a higher spf version. I once tried an all natural type block at the ocean and came back a lobster. Another time my favorite sunblock failed me in HI but upgrading to a higher spf of the same block worked. (And then there’s the classic expired sunblock, it works until one day it doesn’t.)

Destin-when my oldest was 6 weeks old, we went to Maine. Being a new mom at the time it was “don’t put sunscreen on you babies”. An older mom with kids in their 20s told me back in the 60s her ped said to use destin on it. She never peeped, peeled and the burn went away super quick.

But a swim shirt for now and reapply sunscreen every 1/2 hr, at least 30spf.

I swear by vinegar diluted in bathwater. Followed by liberal application of BioOil (stretch mark oil).

First of all, get a higher quality sunscreen with a higher SPF, and NOT the spray crap. Certain skin type can become intolerant to low quality sunscreen, I now must depend on ensuring all my sunscreen has actual Zinc in it. Then cover it up.

Hydrate your body from the inside out. It's going to hurt, its a burn, drink as much healthy clear liquids as you can tolerate.
If you are to the point where you are depending on Tylenol to not be in pain, you may actually have sun poisoning, which I have had twice.

TEA Bath, fill a tub with luke warm water and dump a whole bunch, as many tea bags in the water as you can. Specially if you can get black tea. The tannis in tea will draw the heat out of the burn in just one bath. If you can, brew the tea extra heavy duty strong and then pour it in the bath. If you don't have a bath to use, brew the tea extra strong and soak washcloths or tea towels in the brew and very lightly drape over the skin.

(Long story short, yes, I've had to do this once, for my bonehead DH who shaves his head bare. He insisted he would be fine all day long at Blizzard Beach only putting sunscreen on twice in 10 hours, cause we're "from Florida" so he would be fine, yeah, well the rest of us we reapplying every hour. I went to the front desk and asked for 10 black tea bags to brew in the single cup Keurig and two extra washcloths)

If they are staying at a hotel, they can even get black tea bags from the front desk, almost every store sells black tea very commonly now.

Last edited:
yup I think a high quality sunscreen lotion with high spf is the best, facial sunscreen should also be use to prevent skin burn

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter