Teens - Europe - spending money?

Best Aunt

"That's the best-est present ever!"
Does anybody have kids who went to Europe on a school trip as teenagers? If yes, what did they do for spending money?

(As an adult I guess you put transactions on a credit card with no fee, but I assume the teens don't have credit cards.)

Trying to decide on a Christmas gift - not my kids. We usually give them pre-paid debit cards as gifts, but maybe this year we should be giving them cash which they can convert to the appropriate currency when they get there? I just don't know what the procedure typically is for kids on this type of trip.

I got currency from AAA, and gave them my credit card. You can bring foreign currency back and exchange it for dollars, but not coins.

Does anybody have kids who went to Europe on a school trip as teenagers? If yes, what did they do for spending money?

(As an adult I guess you put transactions on a credit card with no fee, but I assume the teens don't have credit cards.)

Trying to decide on a Christmas gift - not my kids. We usually give them pre-paid debit cards as gifts, but maybe this year we should be giving them cash which they can convert to the appropriate currency when they get there? I just don't know what the procedure typically is for kids on this type of trip.
It depends where they’re going but in most of Europe the currency is the Euro. You could easily get that a bank here and save them having to do the exchange. They also might get a kick out of receiving it for Christmas - seeing the actual currency and having it in their hands, and start getting a little excited about the trip. Personally, I’d buy a guidebook about their destination and tuck it in there.

I would order money from AAA. It's very easy, and would save them from having to convert the money themselves. I think this would be "cooler" on Christmas morning, getting some actual currency.

They could also use an ATM to get Euros (or whatever) from a debit card, or just use a debit card.

While I like the idea of a guidebook, if they're teens, it's likely that their trip is chaperoned and very defined, way ahead of time. My DD16 is going to Italy next June, and they have a very specific itinerary. Since my DD has been to Italy twice before, most attractions are repeats for her. However, when I went to Italy the first time, I really wished I'd read an art history book or three before I'd gone, just to more fully appreciate what I was seeing.

If you do want to get a guide book, Rick Steves is considered the best source for European trips. Just know that his books tend more for exploring on your own versus being in a tour group.

like @ronandannette said check the country / countries

Pounds Sterling - £
London/ England,
Edinburgh, Scotland,
Belfast/ Northern Ireland,
Cardiff / Wales

Euro
Austria
Belgium
Cyprus
Estonia
Finland
France
Germany
Greece
Republic of Ireland
Italy
Latvia
Lithuania
Luxembourg
Malta
the Netherlands
Portugal
Slovakia
Slovenia
Spain

Individual Country Currencies
Bulgaria
Croatia
Czechia
Denmark
Hungary
Liechtenstein
Poland
Romania
Sweden
Switzerland

While I like the idea of a guidebook, if they're teens, it's likely that their trip is chaperoned and very defined, way ahead of time. My DD16 is going to Italy next June, and they have a very specific itinerary. Since my DD has been to Italy twice before, most attractions are repeats for her. However, when I went to Italy the first time, I really wished I'd read an art history book or three before I'd gone, just to more fully appreciate what I was seeing.

If you do want to get a guide book, Rick Steves is considered the best source for European trips. Just know that his books tend more for exploring on your own versus being in a tour group.
For us, practically all of our travel planning is done on-line but having a guidebook in hand and reading little snatches here and there in advance just whets our appetite for the destination. An art history book, or something historical about the destination would be great also!

ETA: Guides or books about a destination also make nice little mementos. We’ve got a whole shelf devoted to displaying them and they evoke good memories whenever I glance at them. :goodvibes

As a European, I also think cash would be the better choice and here's why: Some parts of Europe are still not as card advanced as the US. Example: in Italy, you would be able to pay in most shops/restaurants with a card while in Berlin, Germany, most restaurants do not accept cards. Almost anywhere in southern Europe, it would be impossible to purchase anything in a street market if you don't carry cash. Conversely, you can pay with card in any street/square market in the Nordics.

Also, if you opt for a guide book, I also strongly suggest Rick Steves. My American parents in law used several of his guides around Europe and I can tell the quality is very very high.

I always gave my children whatever amount the school suggested, plus an emergency £50 in an envelope and a credit card in my name with a low (£500) limit for absolute, need to get away now type or my shoes have been stolen type emergencies. Cards like Revolut are good for this as they have no currency exchange charges and you can set up vaults.

I am a member of AAA, and they do have a local office here. How do I get Euros? Do I need to order in advance?

(P.S. I am Thankful to all of you for your suggestions!)

I am a member of AAA, and they do have a local office here. How do I get Euros? Do I need to order in advance?

(P.S. I am Thankful to all of you for your suggestions!)

Just go in and ask. There's no exchange fee--you'll get exactly what the exchange rate is. For example, I went in with $500 (you need cash, FYI), and I got exactly $500 worth of euro, down to the coins. It usually takes 3-4 business days.

Banks can also do this. I don't know if they charge a fee.

Another thought--if the travelers don't have cross-body bags, that might be a good gift, as well. My DD16 doesn't typically carry a purse, so a cross-body leaves her hands free, and she's not likely to put it down and forget it somewhere. I'm partial to Lug bags--they have a zippered compartment that goes against your body, among other features. Our AAA sells Baggalinis, which are also very popular. You could look, if you're interested.

And if they come back with unspent Euros, can I take them into the AAA office and exchange them back to U.S. dollars?

They could also use an ATM to get Euros (or whatever) from a debit card, or just use a debit card.

Just make sure your PIN is 4 digits or less. Most of Europe is not set up for PINs longer than 4 digits.
And CHIP cards are the norm in Europe, but some European CHIP readers don't recognize U.S. CHIP cards. They are set up to swipe too, but my daughter found that the workers often didn't know how to swipe a card and had to get a supervisor to help. She went to College for a year in the UK

And Euros (or Pounds if in the UK) are handy. A couple hundred dollars worth. Your bank can get those for you with a couple of days notice.

Just make sure your PIN is 4 digits or less. Most of Europe is not set up for PINs longer than 4 digits.
And CHIP cards are the norm in Europe, but some European CHIP readers don't recognize U.S. CHIP cards. They are set up to swipe too, but my daughter found that the workers often didn't know how to swipe a card and had to get a supervisor to help. She went to College for a year in the UK

And Euros (or Pounds if in the UK) are handy. A couple hundred dollars worth. Your bank can get those for you with a couple of days notice.

I know you've said this before (and found an article to back you up), but, I live in Europe and have used my credit card and debit card in at least five other European countries. Both of my cards have PINs of 6 digits (as demanded by my bank). So, "most" of Europe does not include - France, Belgium, Germany, Netherlands, Switzerland, or the UK.

A few hundred Euros cash and a prepaid credit card would have them covered.

I know you've said this before (and found an article to back you up), but, I live in Europe and have used my credit card and debit card in at least five other European countries. Both of my cards have PINs of 6 digits (as demanded by my bank). So, "most" of Europe does not include - France, Belgium, Germany, Netherlands, Switzerland, or the UK.
It is still the advice U.S. based travel agents give. And this article is from just a few weeks ago. https://www.touristbee.com/2007/12/use-your-atm-card-in-europe

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter