Teens meeting characters.

Some people just don't "get" it. Those who think Disney is for "kids" and think it's weird that some families (even with kids) go more than once.

They don't matter, what matters is if YOU'RE happy!

My group (me-25 dbf-26 and best friend-25 at the time) sat for 2 hours to meet Anna and Elsa in November. I loved it. We have selfies with them and everything. I also have a framed photo in our house of me meeting Doopey. Heck if your teenager can hold onto the magic of like don't let anyone knock it. I think a lot of people take life too seriously and can't sit back and just have fun.

WDW is the place for adults to act like kids. Our lives are so stressful and it is so nice to put all that aside and have fun. While I personally do not stand in lines for meet and greets we always book at least one character meal where we enjoy the character interaction. I have family that tease me constantly about going to WDW all the time but it is good natured. I tell them they just don't get it.

OP, just go have a blast meeting characters with your teen!

We are middle age and still get in line to meet characters. Though I no longer post them on facebook or discuss our disney trips with certain people.

Some people just do not get the Disney side of us!

Thank you so much everyone for the pep talk! Iam Even more excited for my trip now! And DD LOVED the selfie idea with the characters..:)

One thing I noticed is a lot of you that posted have teen daughters.

I have a teen son (will be 15 next month) and up until he turned 13 yrs old he loved meeting characters, now not so much.

Here is the thing, he is fine with doing character meals and getting pictures with the characters that way, but standing in line not so much in the parks not so much.
My theory is he feels a bit odd standing among a bunch of little kids. I truly think it is the age and I hope once he gets pass the mid teen age he will go back to loving characters again and willing to stand in line. We have a deal, he will only stand in line for the main characters, Mickey, Goofy, etc....no Disney Jr people and no princesses.

Here is a cute/funny story. Last summer I never met Rapunzel and I really wanted to meet her. This was when Cinderella, Rapunzel and Aurora meet in Town Theater. We had a paper FP for them. I made a deal with my teen son, you just come in with dad and I, take our picture with the princesses and we will be done. He agreed as long as HE didn't have to get a picture with any of them.

We first met Rapunzel, all went good, DS took a picture and we moved on to Aurora. Chatted with her, took a picture and moved on.
Cinderella, was very chatting. She asked me why the other Prince isn't getting in the picture (pointing to my son who was standing next to the photopass person) I looked at her and said "Oh well, he's a teenager, you know how they can be"
She looked at me and said "we will have none of that!"
She left the line and walked up to DS (Who had this look of "oh crap" on his face) and she said "Will you please do me the honor and take a picture with me?"
OMG! My poor teenage boy turned beet red!!! :rotfl: But he said "yes" and walked over with Cinderella and took a picture with her :thumbsup2

After we left Town Theater, I thanked him for taking a picture with Cinderella, he looked at me and said "Well what was I suppose to do, say No to Cinderella" :rotfl2:

But since then, if his dad and I want to meet certain characters, especially princesses, he waits on a bench near by, he tells me he isn't getting roped into pictures like that again :lmao:

My husband and myself love meeting characters, yes, even my husband will gladly stand in line to meet a character.

so I think for a lot of teenage boys, especially between 12 - 15 yrs old, it can be awkward for them to meet certain characters. A friend of mine told me the same thing happened to her son, but by the time he was 17 yrs old he was taking selfies with characters :)

I have a teen son (will be 15 next month) and up until he turned 13 yrs old he loved meeting characters, now not so much.

Here is the thing, he is fine with doing character meals and getting pictures with the characters that way, but standing in line not so much in the parks not so much.
My theory is he feels a bit odd standing among a bunch of little kids. I truly think it is the age and I hope once he gets pass the mid teen age he will go back to loving characters again and willing to stand in line. We have a deal, he will only stand in line for the main characters, Mickey, Goofy, etc....no Disney Jr people and no princesses.

Here is a cute/funny story. Last summer I never met Rapunzel and I really wanted to meet her. This was when Cinderella, Rapunzel and Aurora meet in Town Theater. We had a paper FP for them. I made a deal with my teen son, you just come in with dad and I, take our picture with the princesses and we will be done. He agreed as long as HE didn't have to get a picture with any of them.

We first met Rapunzel, all went good, DS took a picture and we moved on to Aurora. Chatted with her, took a picture and moved on.
Cinderella, was very chatting. She asked me why the other Prince isn't getting in the picture (pointing to my son who was standing next to the photopass person) I looked at her and said "Oh well, he's a teenager, you know how they can be"
She left the line and walked up to DS (Who had this look of "oh crap" on his face) and she said "Will you please do me the honor and take a picture with me?"
OMG! My poor teenage boy turned beet red!!! :rotfl: But he said "yes" and walked over with Cinderella and took a picture with her :thumbsup2

After we left Town Theater, I thanked him for taking a picture with Cinderella, he looked at me and said "Well what was I suppose to do, say No to Cinderella" :rotfl2:

But since then, if his dad and I want to meet certain characters, especially princesses, he waits on a bench near by, he tells me he isn't getting roped into pictures like that again :lmao:

My husband and myself love meeting characters, yes, even my husband will gladly stand in line to meet a character.

so I think for a lot of teenage boys, especially between 12 - 15 yrs old, it can be awkward for them to meet certain characters. A friend of mine told me the same thing happened to her son, but by the time he was 17 yrs old he was taking selfies with characters :)

You are definitely on borrowed time! When our son was around 15 Chip literally dragged him into a photo against his will. Good thing he's a good sport! :cool2:

I have the same additude towards those people, as I do towards the people who say Epcot (my favorite park) isn't worth their time - Just less people in front of me in line baby ;)

We are not big character chasers - Especially since my girls (7 & 9) know "the truth" about the characters... But we will still enjoy a character meal - Doing 1900PF dinner - and I'm sure we will do a character M&G or two throughout our trip. :)

I got some great pics of my 20-something kids meeting characters last month. They still love it, God bless 'em

In 10 days I'll be 38, and I still get star struck when I see Pluto. I freeze, and almost start to cry every time. I can't help it, and I think I'll always be that way.

I have many friends and family who don't get it. Luckily, my closest friends and family love Disney just as much as I do.

DH and I don't have kids, so some people are confused as to why we love WDW. Most of them have never been, and don't understand all WDW has to offer. One of my coworkers recently told me that she "better have kids soon" so she "can go to WDW too." :scared1: I didn't even know how to respond to her, so I walked away.

Every time I read posts like this they make me smile. My 16 year old dd LOVES seeing teenage boys meeting characters or at character meals with their families. In her words " It makes them 10x more attractive".
I love the line in your post about your husband meeting the characters as well because my dd has told me she would never be able to be with someone who wouldn't wait in line with her to meet Mickey Mouse. :rotfl2:
I love seeing teens meet characters especially when the teen girls are more excited to meet Cinderella than the 6 year old girls in line are.

DD16 still loves the characters. That said, she wasn't interested in giving up a FP for a ride to meet A & E. Hopefully, we'll have some opportunities along the way for some character interaction, just maybe not the "headliners" of the moment. It's a big part of the magic for us.

My 19 year old loved taking selfies and the characters act enthusiastic about it.

Ariel: "I love taking SHELLfies!"

Goofy wrote my daughter a quick note, asking her to tweet the pic. Lol.

My best friend and I are 22, and we couldn't get fast passes for A&E for our trip. So what did we do? We waited in line for an hour and a half, of course! We met other characters throughout our trip, and even ate dinner at Akershus one night. I definitely don't think you can ever be too old to meet the characters!

I'm 22 (going to be turning 23 while I'm down there in September-October...but I look and feel about 17, truly) and I still LOVE to meet characters princess:

i bet that friend is a blast at parties :sad2:
heaven forbid anyone do anything as unseemly as letting themselves take a dip in the pool of whimsy.
seriously, don't let anyone get you down or make you feel small because your kid is willing to have fun. i'd so rather hang out with someone who's fun and participates than someone who's too cool for school. people like that are a serious drag to be around.

She asked to see my MDE app so I showed it to her....LOl...She looked totally bemused at all the plans..she has told me several times she cant understand why we want to go on rides we have already ridden in previous yrs. She looked at me like I was cuckoo crazy when she saw all my fastpasses were booked..:rotfl2:

Had she ever been at that coffee shop before? Or listened to the same song twice? Maybe went to a movie and then watched it when it was HBO?

I have to laugh at people who say, "you already did that..."!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter