• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tell me about Bay Lake Tower

JenJen88

Earning My Ears
Hello,
I am trying to plan a trip for my husband(29) and I(25) for our first anniversary and hope that someone may be able to give me some good information. My husband broke his neck at c2 4 years ago, ultimately resulting in his neck being fused with rods and screws and etc. He is extremely lucky and is still able to walk, however his endurance is low and results in the need of a scooter for around the parks. He however out of pride likes to walk to and from the resort transportation. For our Disney wedding we stayed at POFQ and it was very nice because the distance from our room to the main lobby and buses was short. We have saved and are looking at staying in a magic kingdom view room at Bay Lake Tower, so the question is how much walking will this entail for him to get to monorail, buses, etc.? We just don't want to get back after a day in the parks and then have long trek to get to comfort.
Thanks in advance :)

There is a lot of distance. From BLT there is the sky bridge over to the 4th floor of the CR. You have to go to the CR "core" to get on/off the monorail, or take an elevator down to the lobby to get to the buses.

Definitely plan to rent form an off-site supplier.

If you click on where it says "disABILTIES" at the top of this page it will take you to the Index. One of the top items is the "disABILTIES FAQ" which will gives lots of useful information, including in Post #2 where people rent ECVs.

Or, if you want an easier route to the FAQs, click on the link in my signature.

Also, request a room closest to elevator by the covered bridge that connects the BLT and the Contemporary. We stayed on the 7th floor by that elevator. It was still very quiet, close to the monorail, and close to the bus stop. If you looked out the window, the bridge was just underneath the room and the castle was in front of us a little to the right.

My husband and I just got back from a week long vacation at the BLT and we loved them. We took our two small boys and had a stroller the whole time.
It won't be too much walking for two adults from the resort to magic kingdom. The monorails are a little tricky at first. We found ourselves taking the full loop a few times to get back to the towers.

Thanks for all your advice, I will be sure to remember it for our next trip down to the world, but I found out tonight that our parents went together for my graduation from law school/early anniversary present and booked us a week trip where we were for the wedding :)

Thanks for all your advice, I will be sure to remember it for our next trip down to the world, but I found out tonight that our parents went together for my graduation from law school/early anniversary present and booked us a week trip where we were for the wedding :)

What a great present! Enjoy your trip, and congratulations!

If he had an ECV at the resort, there is a nice walking path that goes from Contemporary to MK. When we stayed at Contemporary, we felt it was a lot less trouble to use the path to get to MK than it was to use the monorail (faster too).

If he rents at the park, you need to be aware that there is no guarantee that any ECVs will be available when you get there. If you get there consistently by 10 am, yu should be OK, but any more than that is not a for sure thing.

My DW has a similar issue to your husband and we own at BLT. We do find it easier to walk to MK than to take the monorail. DW always rents a power chair and we take our own manual. She will use which ever she feels like on any given day.

We have had some issues with the bed height in the rooms. DW can get out of the bed but it kind of has to be in a sweet spot height wise. If it is too high she can't get in it. If it is too low she can't get out of it. So we get an ADA room with roll in and ask that the master bed be swapped out for a "regular" room be. Works for us. We have found house keeping and engineering are willing to do a lot to the room to make it work for us.

If he had an ECV at the resort, there is a nice walking path that goes from Contemporary to MK. When we stayed at Contemporary, we felt it was a lot less trouble to use the path to get to MK than it was to use the monorail (faster too).

Ditto to this. I loved how easy it was to go to and from MK. It is especially great if you are leaving the park after Wishes or at park close with the crowds. It was nice to look at the monorail, boat, and bus lines and realize I don't have to wait.

Ditto to this. I loved how easy it was to go to and from MK. It is especially great if you are leaving the park after Wishes or at park close with the crowds. It was nice to look at the monorail, boat, and bus lines and realize I don't have to wait.

Exactly how we feel. My autistic DD would absolutely melt down if we had to wait with the post Wishes throng for the ferry monorail. Not to mention the crush of people we would be in once on the monorail. Walking to the MK was the reason we purchased at BLT. We drive to the other parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter