Tell Me about Birthdays in TS Restaurants....

SnipsNSnails

DIS Veteran
My DS will be turning 7 during our next trip. It's the first time we have ever been on someone's birthday. I'm trying to decide where our ADR for that evening will be. Tell me your stories about celebrating a birthday in a TS restaurant. Where should I choose? We will be at Chef Mickey's our first night of the trip per family tradition so not there. I was thinking a character meal, possibly Garden Grill, but I am not set on that. I want it to be fun and special for him since we won't be having a big party (though my parents and grandma will be with us). I am not going to order a cake. We will be on the DDP, and we don't need more dessert! But will they stick a candle in his dessert or let me bring one?

We let our niece Lexi wear a button all week last month. Pretty much everywhere we went they brought a cupcake and a candle. The cupcakes are in addition to any other dessert. 50's Prime Time was fun because they got the entire restaurant to sing happy birthday. You really can't choose wrong. Tell them upfront and wear a button - you are golden!

Yep, note it on your reservation, and he will get a cupcake at every TS, including breakfast! We went when DD turned 9. By the end of the trip, she didn't even eat the cupcake any more!

I'd recommend Ohana breakfast as a great start to a birthday. Character interaction is great!

BIRTHDAY-ANNIVERSARY-HONEYMOON-GRADUATION-ETC Celebrations by Cast Members:
1) It is a matter of the CM's personal initiative.
. . . depends upon how much they like you as a guest
. . . it always helps to wear a Happy Birthday button
. . . depends if they feel like doing anything special today
. . . depends upon the phase of the moon
2) CM's can do a lot, or they can do nothing at all as they have immense control
. . . they are under no obligation to give goodies or even acknowledge special day
. . . they can go way overboard, give lots of gifts
. . . they have A LOT of leeway for what they will or will not do for you
. . . they can see the event if listed on the ADR or hotel ressie and you hope for the best
3) Some of the things a CM can do for free are
. . . table with Mickey confetti
. . . your name/celebration on menu at TS locations (except BOG)
. . . best table location
. . . special personalized menu
. . . character-autographed birthday cards
. . . balloons
. . . balloon animals
. . . wine or champagne or Shirley Temples
. . . room towel animals
. . . appetizers or desserts
. . . cakes
. . . cupcake with candle (almost always available for the asking)
. . . place mats autographed by characters
. . . free appy or free dessert
. . . ride an attraction with a character
. . . personalization items for the Magic Bands
5) Some other items CM's can give for free
. . . room full of balloons and/or flowers
. . . fruit basket or wine basket in hotel room
. . . individual fast passes or booklets of several fast passes
. . . food and snack items (candy, popcorn, sundries)
. . . room upgrades
. . . attraction rides with characters
6) If you really want something special, buy it yourself.
. . . eatery: carry presents in and keep/hide them in a paper bag
. . . eatery: carry a cake in, but, WDW won't prepare, store, or serve it
. . . eatery: order non-decorated cake at the eatery podium check-in
. . . eatery: order decorated cake from the WDW Cake Hotline
. . . room: order special in-room celebration decorarting by Disney
. . . room: order strawberries and cream, if resort has room service
. . . room: decorate the room yourself
7) If there are multiple celebrations for people during a trip
. . . do not do separate celebration locations or tables
. . . one person may get an enthusiastic CM and get goodies
. . . one person may get a lazy CM and get nothing
8) Hundreds, or thousands, celebrate everyday at WDW.
9) It is too much time/money for CM's to attend or recognize all.

NOTE: I have personally given out freebies such as major room upgrades, fruit baskets, wine & cheese baskets, fast passes. It all depends upon how you act toward us and the mood we are in at that time. Of course, there are those guests for whom I would do absolutely nothing involving personal initiative.

How do you note a celebration on your reservation? DH and I are celebrating our 10th anniversary in Sept.

How do you note a celebration on your reservation? DH and I are celebrating our 10th anniversary in Sept.
There's no way to do it online. I believe you have to call. We need to do the same for our resort reservation & ADRs in September for my birthday.

DD turned 5 on our last trip and we had dinner at BOG (also had lunch there that day as well). We ordered her a dessert and then asked the CM if he could please bring a candle. He brought out a big birthday card and a small plate of gray stuff with the candle on it.

We go for our sons birthday every year. As Rusty noted above, it really differs in what you may experience. We have had absolutley no recognition, to a cupcake, candle and card.
If you want to insure a celebration, you have to arrange and pay for it yourself.
Enjoy

We go for our sons birthday every year. As Rusty noted above, it really differs in what you may experience. We have had absolutley no recognition, to a cupcake, candle and card.
If you want to insure a celebration, you have to arrange and pay for it yourself.
Enjoy
I agree. If you want it to be special, don't leave it up to chance. We have had lots of experiences with birthdays at DW restaurants. Getting a cupcake or acknowledgement is hit or miss.

1) As mentioned, you need to make the phone call to have it noted on the ressie.
2) Plus, make sure you wear an Anniversary Button.
. . . it might not get you goodies
. . . but, it usually gets you a word of "Congrats" (SOMETIMES)

My DS will be turning 7 during our next trip. It's the first time we have ever been on someone's birthday. I'm trying to decide where our ADR for that evening will be. Tell me your stories about celebrating a birthday in a TS restaurant. Where should I choose? We will be at Chef Mickey's our first night of the trip per family tradition so not there. I was thinking a character meal, possibly Garden Grill, but I am not set on that. I want it to be fun and special for him since we won't be having a big party (though my parents and grandma will be with us). I am not going to order a cake. We will be on the DDP, and we don't need more dessert! But will they stick a candle in his dessert or let me bring one?
Unfortunately, the best place to go for a certain recognition is the one you said is out. Chef Mickey's does do something special during the meal to recognize celebrations such as birthdays or anniversaries. Why not add the birthday celebration to that meal?

And yeah, if you wanted to stick a candle in a cupcake they would let you.

Enjoy
This is the same experience I've had at celebrating a birthday at Disney. It is very random.

This isn't precisely on topic, but we celebrated my son's 1st birthday at Disney Land. With the note about our celebration in the system, we got a birthday button and card when we checked into our hotel. He wore the button on his birthday and he got a free cupcake at lunch and a free kids entree at dinner. (The CM felt we shouldn't have to pay because he didn't eat much, which I thought was really above and beyond as customer service goes).

when you get your birthday button do they check somehow that it's really your birthday?
My daughter will be turning 6 during our trip so I'll definitely will be getting a button for her. My birthday is 2 weeks prior to our trip, not sure if I can get a button too.

when you get your birthday button do they check somehow that it's really your birthday?
My daughter will be turning 6 during our trip so I'll definitely will be getting a button for her. My birthday is 2 weeks prior to our trip, not sure if I can get a button too.
No. There are no rules in regards to how you opt to celebrate your birthday at Disney. We are never able to go ON our actual birthday due to school. So we plan a trip near as we can and celebrate then. In my mind, if we made the trip to Disney as part of our birthday celebration the date of the birthday makes no difference at all. It's still the reason we are at Disney.

Enjoy

Yep. We have been lucky enough to be at Disney for birthdays and anniversaries and it has varied wildly. You need to keep your expectations low and be surprised if something nice happens. I would bring your own candle, just in case, they will not have a problem with that.

I would note his birthday on all your TS. Chef Mickeys has always acknowledged our special occasion...it is the only consistently celebratory TS. They bring out cupcakes for everyone celebrating and, usually, a signed card.

I went to Disney World the week after my birthday and celebrated there. Most TS places just added a candle to the desert I ordered and sang Happy Birthday (we were on the dining plan so dessert included with each meal). Chefs de France was especially fun since they sang in French. At BOG I did get the small plate of "grey stuff" and a card signed by Belle and the Beast. Since the celebration was marked on our reservation at POP we returned to the room one day to find an autographed picture of Mickey.

Obviously nothing is guaranteed but they do sprinkle some magic on when possible.

No one checks to make sure it is really your birthday. We went a little less than a month after DH's birthday a couple years ago and he still wore the button all week. It was our "birthday celebration" because for his gift I had upgraded our hotel to the Poly.

This year we are going in November and our anniversary was last week (mid July), but we have had a tumultuous year marriage wise, so gosh darn it, we are going to be "celebrating" our anniversary in the World in November.

No one checks to make sure it is really your birthday. We went a little less than a month after DH's birthday a couple years ago and he still wore the button all week. It was our "birthday celebration" because for his gift I had upgraded our hotel to the Poly.

This year we are going in November and our anniversary was last week (mid July), but we have had a tumultuous year marriage wise, so gosh darn it, we are going to be "celebrating" our anniversary in the World in November.
Exactly. As long as you go in to it with the idea of just having everyone join in your celebration, vs wanting something then I think it is all good and the date of what you are celebrating doesn't matter

The only place I have seen them consistently celebrate birthdays is Tokyo Dining! We've been there quite a bit and it seems most everyone is celebrating a birthday in there! Lots of singing and desserts with candles.

Our birthday experiences - my DS got a candle in a cupcake and at O'Hana when he turned one. The waitress also held bread plates behind his head so it looked like he had Mickey ears - made for a super cute picture.

Last year, we checked in for Cali Grill and I heard my DH mutter under his breath that it was my birthday. In the short time that we went up the elevator and were seated, the CM's had sprinkled mickey confetti all over our table and I got a special dessert. It was very sweet.

That being said, as others have stated, it can be hit or miss. I would have it noted on your reservation, mention it again when you check in and see what happens! I know you are on DDP, but you can order an inexpensive podium cake as well if you want something special.

if we made the trip to Disney as part of our birthday celebration the date of the birthday makes no difference at all.
1) This is lots all of us do not do "special" things for events for everyone.
. . . we get very selective who and when and how we celebrate
2) There is no way to determine if the day is really an event.
3) If we did this across the board, we wouldn't have time to do our job.
. . . it would take time away from other guests who actually might be there on-the-day of their celebration
4) Sorry, but many of us CM's feel this is "gaming the system".

. . . I think it is all good and the date of what you are celebrating doesn't matter
1) Yes, it does matter.
2) Do you go to Denny's for free birthday food and claim it is your birthday when it s not?
3) Do you give Christmas gifts on Columbus Day?
4) Do you dye Easter Eggs on Halloween?

:cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter