Tell me about cruising out of San Diego

Thanks! I will check it out. I actually did do a google search, which is overwhelming! :) It's hard to know the best / safe places without a trusted referral.

We just booked ours through parkingpanda.com the Wyndam was already sold out for May - WOW!

We parked at the Wyndham, right across the street. It's best to reserve a spot there, as they have limited space. But it's very convenient.

If you do a google search for "cruise port parking san diego" you'll get lots of hits.

Quick question... Does the Wyndham have covered parking? Or is it only uncovered? Thanks!!

Quick question... Does the Wyndham have covered parking? Or is it only uncovered? Thanks!!
There's a small parking structure. I think it's only two (maybe three) stories. And a small uncovered area. That's why the reservations for parking go so quickly.

There's a small parking structure. I think it's only two (maybe three) stories. And a small uncovered area. That's why the reservations for parking go so quickly.

Thanks for answering so many questions!! We were able to get a reservation, so we will make sure to get there early in the morning. :)

Happy Friday!! Does anyone know what the earliest port arrival time is for San Diego? Thanks!

I am considering a 5 night on the Wonder out of San Diego next October. I have only sailed from Port Canaveral, so I feel so lost. Tell me about where you stay; how far are hotels from the port? are there Disney shuttles like at MCO? Are there hotels that offer a shuttle to the port? from the airport? How far is the airport from the port? What is the earliest departure time to consider after leaving the ship? I feel like I have so many questions..Can anyone offer some thoughts about this process? and just anything about sailing from San Diego? thanks
ulou
I am considering a 5 night on the Wonder out of San Diego next October. I have only sailed from Port Canaveral, so I feel so lost. Tell me about where you stay; how far are hotels from the port? are there Disney shuttles like at MCO? Are there hotels that offer a shuttle to the port? from the airport? How far is the airport from the port? What is the earliest departure time to consider after leaving the ship? I feel like I have so many questions..Can anyone offer some thoughts about this process? and just anything about sailing from San Diego? thanks

Hi,

I am originally from San Diego, I currently live in Northern CA, and we are taking the September 24th Mexican Riviera cruise on the Wonder. There really is no need to take the DCL transfers, because the airport is very close to the cruise terminal in San Diego so I would take Uber or catch a cab. It should run you no more than $10 - $15.00 without tip.
Where to stay. That really depends on if you've decided to do any pre or post cruise do it yourself San Diego excursions. I'm not sure where you're from but Diego is the most desirable place to live in CA for a reason. There are SO many attractions to visit and a ton of history. we are arriving the day before and are staying in the Gaslamp District. I seriously considered staying on Coronado Island (you access the island by ferry, again not too far from the airport). But decided against it, only because I absolutely love breakfast and there is this place near the Children's museum I want to visit before embarkation :-) We are staying at the Horton Grand Hotel. But here are a few other places you may want to consider. Most expensive is the US Grant Hotel near the this Historic area. The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, Hilton San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, The Marriott, Hard Rock Cafe, and The Horton Grand. There are plenty of hotels near the airport and on the Harbour as well.
If you decide to stay on Cornado, here are a few suggestions. the most expensive is The Hotel Del Coronado. This hotel was the inspiration for WDW Grand Floridian Resort and Spa.But there are great options as well. There is the 1906 Lodge (this is a B&B, great breakfast also in Napa, CA), Glorietta Bay Inn, Lowes Coronado Bay Resort, Coronado Marriott (very business savvy), and the El Cordova Hotel.

Bon Voyage :-}

We live in Wisconsin, but San Diego is our all time favorite city to visit. You don't have to spend a fortune either. The Gas Light District is very walkable and offers tons of options for restaurants. We stay at the Downtown Holiday Inn Express and just walk from there to Little Italy, Gas Light District and down to the Marina. They do provide a shuttle though from the airport and it will take you to the Convention Center, Balboa Park, the Zoo, and the Port, etc. We disembarked there from our WBPC back in 2015 and they picked us up at the Port. We stayed overnight before flying home. The Holiday Inn Express near Old Town is also an excellent place to stay and provides shuttle too the same locations or you can take the Metro Train for small fare into town.

And great food! There is also a CVS and Grocery Outlet in tge neighborhood. Great places to get your goodies before you board your cruise.

Don't forget to visit USS Midway. If you have kids they will love exploring this aircraft carrier.

Just cancelled the Wyndham parking reservation for the October 15 sailing (had to change our sailing), if anyone was looking.

we stayed at the Hampton Inn. Literally 4 blocks from the port (across the street from a park and government building). We had a rental car from Enterprise - about 4 blocks the other direction. Dropped off our car, they (Enterprise) drove us back to the hotel (could have walked easily!!) Checked out of the hotel, Walked a block, crossed the street, walked a couple of more blocks to the terminal building. Way Way WAY faster than driving and getting dropped off there. Very busy around the port on the road and parking / drop off areas. There was one other ship in port that day and it really was a mad house getting into the building and through security.

While we were trying to get into the building, the line kept growing. They tried to check cruise documents and passports (initial screening), but gave up on the looking at everyone's passports. Then dropping off checked luggage - the Celebrity ship people were to give their bags to the people on the right (building side), DCL to the baggage handlers on the left (open "plaza" / dock between the ships. Lots of yelling and trying to make sure that your bags made it to the right place. No time for tipping the porters or anything. Then moving to get into the building - it appeared to be a waiting area to get into the queue for security. The people sitting down were on Celebrity and just as we got there - they got up en mass and headed into a security line. DCL people were to keep walking / getting into the security line, the Celebrity cruises in line were to go to the "waiting area". Mad House!!! Luckily they just opened 1 or 2 more x-ray machines and we were able to slip into a line that moved / jumped a lot. I think that they got some true Disney people to come and manage the queue :worship: to make the process go better. Once through security, then "they" had to sort us by ship - DCL to one side and Celebrity to the other. Looked like the Celebrity people had to go and sit and wait again before checking in. We were shunted to the DCL set up and then things started looking "Normal" to us with the LOOONG line of CM's manning the check in stations. There were the three queues: first timer / sliver, Gold, Platinum / Concierge. We headed right towards the Platinum line. Were stopped to be given the health questionnaire. Only the person manning the First Time / Silver line had the Personal Navigators (found out later - had to go back to pick one up). No one was at the Platinum entrance, but as we approached the counter (no one was in front of us), the CM that was supposed to be working the entrance came up and had to check our paper work.

Check in itself was very easy. Had to have our security pictures taken again (but we were just on the Wonder 4 months ago!!) got our lanyard and KTTW card and headed off to the endless lines of chairs to wait for the boarding announcement. We really had a pretty short wait - less than 20 minutes before the "Family of the Cruise" was announced, then it was off to get into the line to get out of the building. My memory is a bit fuzzy here, but I think that we got our embarkation pictures taken before exiting the warehouse (or we had them taken after getting checked in :confused3)

the next steps were to get out of the warehouse (cruise terminal) and into the "obstacle course" to get across the dock (no actual obstacles, but several corners). CM's were at various points across the dock, since crew and machinery had to get through the line to get to the other part of the dock to access the ship, so periodically, they CM's would hold up guest to allow equipment through. Then we made it to the scaffolding walkway that would take us up to deck three to board the ship. We tapped ourselves in, were announced and applauded by the staff and then was given a plethora of incorrect information by quite likely a long time CM that remembers the names of places and the way things worked Before the Dry dock. Since we were just on the Wonder 4 months prior, we new the drill and the Cruise Officially Began!! :jumping1: And our luggage made in onboard OK (that was a concern with the way it was going outside the terminal!!):thumbsup2

So glad that our next cruise, we are the only ship scheduled to be in port that day!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter