Tell me about dinner at Cabanas...

buzzrelly

DIS Veteran
Hello,all! We are going on the Wonder next week and are really excited! But since we booked kind of late, we were given late dining and it looks like our wait list for earlier dining won’t come through at this point. We will try again once we get on the ship, but I need to figure out our options if that doesn’t work either.

We just cannot eat that late at night, at least not eat a heavy dinner. We are used to eating around 5. I’m thinking we could just eat at Cabanas but what kind of food options will we have there? Also, I really want to eat at Tiana’s so could we just attend dinner for maybe a coffee and dessert?

Thanks!

Cabana's for dinner is sit down table service with a modified menu from the MDR's. It's open from 6:30 - 8:30 though and not on the first or last night of the cruise. You can get food on deck 9 from the quick service places or order room service, though many on these boards report successfully getting early dining once on board, though YMMV.

Last edited:
On our first cruise we had late dinning that did not work for our kids. Once on board we asked the head server about switching. He couldn’t give us assigned seating for the early dinner but he was able to seat us at the early dinner each night with a different server team as people had made reservations for Palo. Just an option you can try. You miss the experience of having the same team every night but you do get to enjoy the MDR.

We ate dinner in Cabanas in February. It was fantastic. Very quiet since it was not busy. We had the best steak we have had onboard after 8 DCL cruises. It was a steak not on a main dining room menu. We plan to do it again.

We love going to Cabanas for dinner. Once we started doing that it was really an eye opener, it frees up so much time and gives you a lot of freedom. After many Disney Cruises, we have totally stopped going to the main dining rooms for the last 3 cruises, and don't miss it one bit.

Yes, you should be able to go to the MDR's and order as much or as little as you want. I would tell your servers your plan though (be it appetizer/dessert or just dessert) so that they don't get anxious about you not ordering dinner.

I love Cabanas for dinner. On my last cruise I had late dining and only ate in the MDR 1 night. I loved being able to eat when I wanted and the servers I had did a great job. I meet a nice couple that didn't care for the MDR so they ate there every night as well. Also I think the food is better. I really loved the Steak and the Salmon I had. I thought it was better then in the MDR.

Also yes you can just get coffee and dessert in Tiana's if you don't get switched to main. Enjoy your cruise.

Hello,all! We are going on the Wonder next week and are really excited! But since we booked kind of late, we were given late dining and it looks like our wait list for earlier dining won’t come through at this point. We will try again once we get on the ship, but I need to figure out our options if that doesn’t work either.

We just cannot eat that late at night, at least not eat a heavy dinner. We are used to eating around 5. I’m thinking we could just eat at Cabanas but what kind of food options will we have there? Also, I really want to eat at Tiana’s so could we just attend dinner for maybe a coffee and dessert?

Thanks!
As noted, Cabanas is a sit-down table service with a menu of selections from the other dining rooms that night. Plus a carving station and salad bar.

You could just show up in your "regular" dining room for dessert & coffee, but you'd need to be toward the end of service (still late at night) as the courses come out in order. I don't believe that servers can pick up desserts until they are set up to be served.

Thanks, everyone! I guess Cabanas is mostly out for us since we are only going on a three night cruise :sad2: Maybe we can try on the second night. I'm still going to try to get switched, if possible, and of not, we will just make the best of it I guess. We actually really enjoyed our room service dinner last time we went so that may be what we do.

He couldn’t give us assigned seating for the early dinner but he was able to seat us at the early dinner each night with a different server team as people had made reservations for Palo. Just an option you can try. You miss the experience of having the same team every night but you do get to enjoy the MDR.

I am more attached to eating at a normal time for us, than I am attached to any servers we may get, so this just may work for us. Thanks :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter