Tell me about Epcot Friendship Boats

mamaofsix

DIS Veteran
Interested in using the Epcot Friendship Boats to help reduce walking for our kids on an upcoming trip. Don't really mind if they take more time than walking, more interested in saving our feet.

Who has used these? Is there usually a long wait or long line to ride one?

Of course, opening times and closing times there will be possible waits, but other times shouldnt be bad..

Where do these boats go?
The ones inside Epcot? Just between the one side of WS plaza and the station near Morocco and the other from the other side of WS plaza and station nearer Germany

They do so well before closing due to illuminations

I guess I was thinking boats outside international gateway to the resorts and DHS.... Not sure exactly which ones OP was asking about..

Interested in using the Epcot Friendship Boats to help reduce walking for our kids on an upcoming trip. Don't really mind if they take more time than walking, more interested in saving our feet.

When we were there in early Nov, they only had one side running (Canada to Morocco). The captain of our boat said they closed down the other side and there were no plans to reopen it. We use it more for a break, but it does save some feet impact if you're looking to get to the back of WS. The only wait we had was for the boat to get to the dock.

If leaving out of International Gateway they stop at the Yacht and Beach Club, The Boardwalk, Swan and Dolphin and Hollywood Studios.

If you're going from Epcot to Hollywood Studios, or to any of the resorts between, the Friendship boats are great. But, the one from Canada to Morocco really doesn't reduce your walking within Epcot very much. Especially since, even with no line, you'll be standing for a bit waiting to board. And if your goal is to get to the Mexico ride, the Friendship boat won't save you any walking at all since it's on the wrong side of the lagoon. It's shorter to just walk up from the lefthand side of the World Showcase.

We generally find that picking one side of the World Showcase to explore is a good approach, followed by the other side on a different day. The Friendship boat is sometimes pleasant, if we're headed back from Morocco, want to go to Canada, and the boat is sitting right there. But, that's a very specific set of circumstances.

The boat can be fun, as boats are. It can also be hot and a bit stinky, on very hot days, since it's enclosed and there's only a few seats on the back open part.

(I've never seen both sides running - just the Canada to Morocco bit. Maybe we just don't visit during a busy enough time.)

When we were there in early Nov, they only had one side running (Canada to Morocco). The captain of our boat said they closed down the other side and there were no plans to reopen it. We use it more for a break, but it does save some feet impact if you're looking to get to the back of WS. The only wait we had was for the boat to get to the dock.
Oh, bummer that the one between Mexico and Germany is closed!

Thanks for the info. Sounds like the one from Canada to Morocco should do the job in saving our feet and getting us to the other side of the World Showcase...

We have used it when we had elderly parents with us. As Magpie said, it doesn't necessarily save you from walking if you have to stand and wait for it, but if you time it just right as it is arriving, it can be worth it.

I guess I was thinking boats outside international gateway to the resorts and DHS.... Not sure exactly which ones OP was asking about..
The boats in Epcot. The ones from HS to Epcot only apply for people park hopping. OP is taking about staying in Epcot.

As folks have pointed out they are not much of a foot saver and no time saver at all even if you hit it right when a boat is leaving

The ones in WS are likely to be closed (for Illuminations setup) around dinner time. I’ve had several loooong walls getting to Italy/Japan for dinner since the boats closed before my ADR’s :confused3 (usually past 7pm)

When we were there in early Nov, they only had one side running (Canada to Morocco). The captain of our boat said they closed down the other side and there were no plans to reopen it.

Just to add to this info,there is a report on another Thread that the World Showcase Plaza to Germany route has now been REMOVED from the Epcot park map.

Yes, in early November the boat on the Germany side was closed and no longer on the map...

As stated by pp, you can certainly give it a shot but in the end it will not save you as much walking as you would expect, the locations of the docks are limited and not at the most convenient locations, the boats also stop running in the early evening to make way for Illuminations setup.. Epcot is a very large park and there is really no way around having to do lots of walking..

With that said, the boats that ARE useful are the Friendship boats outside of the IG entrance (between UK and France) which lead to YC/BC/BWI/Swan/Dolphin and end at DHS..

While the World Showcase Lagoon Friendship will not save much walking other than in specific scenarios,we consider it an "attraction" and ride it as such-it gives a different "look" to the Showcase out on the water(especially outside on the back).:)

Yes, in early November the boat on the Germany side was closed and no longer on the map...
That's a shame. Not that we used them much, just on occasion. At least the other side is still open. We considered them to be like an attraction too as we always walk around all of World Showcase

Just wanted to add, that you can take a stroller on board the small boat. There isn't much room for many so if there are a lot of others in line you may have to wait one turn. Still, this was important information for us. I had looked all over to see if they would accommodate a stroller or wheel chair and they do. Yeah.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter