Tell me about Jaws ...

mloren

Mouseketeer
Trying to decide if Jaws will scare DD(8).

Can somebody describe exactly what happens on
the ride? DD usually does better on rides like this
if they've been described to her first.

Is there any fast movement / drops?
How wet do you get?
In what way is it scary (what happens)?

Thanks!

1. no drops/fast movement
2. you only get wet if you sit on the far side of the boat
3. it could be a bit scary, but not that bad

Basically here's what happens:
You get in the boat. The Captain does a little banter and such. You turn the first corner and see a boat ripped to shreds. The Captain freaks out and sees a shark fin. He tries to use his grenade launcher or gun or whatnot to shoot the shark. A few splashes occur and then you head for a boathouse for safety. Another shark encounter here on the right of the boat. A few engine sputters and you're out of the boat house. This time when Jaws attacks fire errupts from a structure on the left of the boat. You the then pull up to a dock planning to escape when Jaws comes a strollin on up from the left. This is where if you're on the left you may get wet. A few shots are fired, Jaws bites into an electrical cable. His carcass appears and as you think it's over the carcass gives itself a lunge towards the boat, but he's dead. You pull around and you're heroes!

My kids are 7 & 9 and the younger one is a bit of a fraidy cat (he likes fast rides, but is afraid of "things that go bump" if you know what I mean!?
Anyway, younger son has been going on Jaws for a year now, and he's fine with it...and he was very afraid to go on. It's just not that bad, and stress the "it's not real" angle!

My suggestion would be to sit her on the inside, you are in a boat where there are just rows that seat 4 or 5 across, so if you're in the middle, it's going to be a little less "in your face" - especially for a child.

And I've had quite a "bottom" soaking a few times on it, but only on the outside.

if you are on the left side of the boat in rows 2 and 3 plan on being wet :eek:

Originally posted by MIB999999
if you are on the left side of the boat in rows 2 and 3 plan on being wet :eek:

I always get a kick of the non-English speaking tourists, who can't read the "you'll get wet" warnings, and very carefully wipe off the wet seats before they sit down.

Originally posted by kellymonaghan

I always get a kick of the non-English speaking tourists, who can't read the "you'll get wet" warnings, and very carefully wipe off the wet seats before they sit down.

kind of an added bonus chuckle :D

Prime locations to get wet on Jaws:

1.) Left hand side of row 1
2.) Left hand side of row 2

Ground zero: Left hand side of row 3 (possibly the left side of row 4 too)

Prime locations to get nearly singed: Anyplace on the left side of the boat (although you can feel the heat from the other side of the boat).

Prime locations to get nearly singed: Anyplace on the left side of the boat (although you can feel the heat from the other side of the boat).

There is nothing quite like going on Jaws after you have gotten a day in at a water park and are sporting a red-lobster sunburn!!!:D :D :D

Karen

Hi, My daughter went on Jaws when she was 7, she hated it. She cried almost the whole time.
When we were back there last summer she refused to go on it again. (she waited at the child swap area). She has already told us that under no circumstances will she be going on it during our next trip in January.

She wont go on twister or jurrasiac park either. But she loves the Hulk and Dueling Dragons.

Each kid is different, mine just happens to be terrified of sharks, fire and flying cows.

Patty

Patty,
You're daughter sounds like my son (7) - same sort of thing, and once he goes on something (as in, if he went on it at 5 and was scared) and doesn't like it, that's it! He went on Kong last year apparently....and remembered it as being scary. I KNEW he would be OK with it now tho...and I told him I'd give him 3 extra dollars for the arcade if he went on, and $5 if he HATED it so much that he'd never go back on!!! Well, he went on, and on the way down the ramp through the gift shop, he said, "THAT was scary!!!" Then he says..."Let's go on again!!!" He was just yanking my chain....gotta give him credit, he could have gotten away with $2 extra!!! :D

And Prof. Baxter...we went on last night and the fire was extremely intense....but it WAS night, so that may have had something to do with it...I couldn't even look at it tho!!:eek:

Karen

yeah, know I the flames are still intense but they use to be worse a few years ago. We have the power to change the level of the flames and the pond fire use to be a WALL offire but too many complain and got singed and we toned it down

It must have been PRETTY bad! I went when I was expecting my 7 year old...and I'm pretty sure I was sunburned and fried like an egg when we got to the fire...I hadn't really been back since, so I guess I didn't realize it had changed even a little!

Can you change it at will...like if you see someone lobster red walking into the queue.....

Naw...that's just mean!:D :rolleyes: :eek:

Karen

My son and I have been looking forward to FINALLY doing Jaws at night this time. Usually we go to Universal when the parks close while the sun is still up!

I remember going on Jaws for the first time when my son was 6. There was a boy of about 11 or 12 in the boat with us. Well, he was reduced to hysteria by the end of the ride and quite embarrassed by it, also, especially since my 6yo was looking at him as if he was a sideshow! As usual, all kids are different...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter