Tell me about using Costco to book on opening day

BrandyMcD

Mouseketeer
We have a placeholder with Costco and I hope to book an Alaska 2020 cruise on opening day (which hopefully is very soon). Looking through the threads I've seen a few people say it's possible to use Costco on opening day but could take awhile. Obviously, it's not an option to do it on my own because I want to use the placeholder.

So, can anyone tell me what to realistically expect in terms of phone wait time, etc when using Costco on opening day? We are silver.

We have a placeholder with Costco and I hope to book an Alaska 2020 cruise on opening day (which hopefully is very soon). Looking through the threads I've seen a few people say it's possible to use Costco on opening day but could take awhile. Obviously, it's not an option to do it on my own because I want to use the placeholder.

So, can anyone tell me what to realistically expect in terms of phone wait time, etc when using Costco on opening day? We are silver.

Call Costco right when then open and tell them you are using a Disney placeholder. At that point, two things might happen. They will put you on hold, call Disney and you will wait to convert the placeholder. On the last release date though, some people reported that Costco took their information and did the booking without having them wait on line. You would want to have a list of preferred cabins ready to give them.

As you are silver, you should be able to get some info about the platinum and gold experiences before your booking day.

I called on silver opening day (placeholder already transferred) and I think I was on the phone for two and a half hours. Obstructed balconies were all taken, but I kept an eye on the website and was able to call back a week later and move to the exact room we wanted.

Thank you for asking! I was wondering the same.
I don’t t have a placeholder- does anyone know if I can book on the silver release day via the Costco website or does it need to be a call?

Thank you for asking! I was wondering the same.
I don’t t have a placeholder- does anyone know if I can book on the silver release day via the Costco website or does it need to be a call?
Book it on DCL’s website and then move it to Costco. You have 30 days to transfer your reservation. If you call Costco they will have call into Disney.

I called on silver opening day (placeholder already transferred) and I think I was on the phone for two and a half hours. Obstructed balconies were all taken, but I kept an eye on the website and was able to call back a week later and move to the exact room we wanted.
That's helpful. And my understanding is that if I change rooms later I will be able to get the original booking day price on the new room, right?

I called as soon as they opened and the agent took all my info. She said they had one agent on the phone with DCL and he would get my sailing. By noon, I had a call back that I was booked and I needed to call in with downpayment. Calling it didn't take long, but I had to change the rooms, so this time, I was on hold with the agent. It was a half hour, max.

That's helpful. And my understanding is that if I change rooms later I will be able to get the original booking day price on the new room, right?

The prices didn't change for me in the time period. If they went up, I'm sure I would have had to pay more.

I called as soon as they opened and the agent took all my info. She said they had one agent on the phone with DCL and he would get my sailing. By noon, I had a call back that I was booked and I needed to call in with downpayment. Calling it didn't take long, but I had to change the rooms, so this time, I was on hold with the agent. It was a half hour, max.

That's awesome it's gotten better. I had called Fall 2018 opening day whenever that was.

Last edited:

I believe if you are already booked, a change of room only can be done at the pricing that was in existence on the day you booked.

I believe if you are already booked, a change of room only can be done at the pricing that was in existence on the day you booked.

Yes. But I think in this situation the poster was planning to book opening day. Therefore they would be locked into opening day pricing.

Yes. But I think in this situation the poster was planning to book opening day. Therefore they would be locked into opening day pricing.
I think we are saying the same thing. If you book Stateroom X on opening day, but later decide you want to change to Stateroom Y, the price difference would be what it was on opening day. Not on the day you switch.

I think we are saying the same thing. If you book Stateroom X on opening day, but later decide you want to change to Stateroom Y, the price difference would be what it was on opening day. Not on the day you switch.

Ok, I wasn't sure since you had just said "on the day you booked". It's just a difference in semantics - I probably would have said "Yes - as long as you book on opening day. Otherwise it will be at the price of the day you booked." to be clear.

It's all good! :D

Ok, I wasn't sure since you had just said "on the day you booked". It's just a difference in semantics - I probably would have said "Yes - as long as you book on opening day. Otherwise it will be at the price of the day you booked." to be clear.

Perhaps not clear, but actually, I was trying to make it a bit more general! If you book Stateroom X on Date1, but later want to change to Stateroom Y on Date2, the price difference is based on what it was as of Date1.

I got lucky when I book for October 2019. I was silver as well and called Costco a few hours after opening and only held about half hour for costco and they were able to get through immediately to Disney.

Was this for an Alaskan cruise? I'm worried about he rooms I wanted being booked as well.

Was this for an Alaskan cruise? I'm worried about he rooms I wanted being booked as well.

This was Eastern Caribbean. It sucked because I could see them on the website when I called but I had to wait because of the placeholder and they were gone by then.

Just keep an eye on them, a lot of people hold a reservation but don't follow through or change. Real easy to call back and get the room transferred.

You could look now and see what rooms are still available for this summers Alaska cruises. We booked public opening day for 2019 Alaska. We had many choices, although I’d didn’t check things like concierge. Our sailing is May 27 and there are still verandas open.

Does anyone know whether it's a requirement that one stays on the line with a Costco agent while he/she tries to contact DCL on your behalf? I will be at work and can't be on the phone for more than 10-15 mins.

LAX

Does anyone know whether it's a requirement that one stays on the line with a Costco agent while he/she tries to contact DCL on your behalf? I will be at work and can't be on the phone for more than 10-15 mins.

LAX
It probably depends on the agent you get. The first one I got just took my info and that was it. The second had me hold on line.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter