• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tell me about visiting Daytona Beach in early November

markers

Earning My Ears
My husband and I are looking for a quick get away long weekend. We want to be at a beach in warm weather (coming from New England). It's been so many years since we've been to Daytona Beach - can you tell me what it's like? Would you recommend it for a long weekend? Thanks :)

Of all beaches all across Florida, is there any particular reason you are picking Daytona? I guess Daytona will work but its definitely not near the top of the list. All the money and investment is centered around the speedway. The beach itself is a dump if you ask me. Now south Daytona, near the inlet is pretty nice.

My husband and I are looking for a quick get away long weekend. We want to be at a beach in warm weather (coming from New England). It's been so many years since we've been to Daytona Beach - can you tell me what it's like? Would you recommend it for a long weekend? Thanks :)
Yes it’s a nice time to go. The sand and water seem clean that time of year. There is a lunch spot in Ponce inlet that we like eating at every few months. If it were me I would go to the Sarasota area. But that’s just me.

Of all beaches all across Florida, is there any particular reason you are picking Daytona? I guess Daytona will work but its definitely not near the top of the list. All the money and investment is centered around the speedway. The beach itself is a dump if you ask me. Now south Daytona, near the inlet is pretty nice.
I agree. The Daytona Beach area is very touristy and more than a little tacky to me.

I would go further north to St. Augustine and north, or further south to Cocoa Beach or just about anywhere further south, all the way down to Miami. Which specific place you pick would depend on what you want to do, but Daytona would not be my choice. Coming in early November will be prior to our main tourist season, so prices may be good.

Also for Daytona, you would have to check and see when any of their speedway events or other events like Bike Week are. Any of those would be deal-breakers for me.

Sarasota or any of the other Gulf Coast beaches might be an option, but I would check on Red Tide. There are still some spots over there with heavy Red Tide, but I have no idea how it normally is in November.

The other bit of advice I have for you is that Florida weather in November can be very tricky -- especially anywhere north of West Palm Beach.

When we get winter fronts coming through, the weather in central and north Florida might be colder than New England -- but it will be 80-85 in Miami. Most fronts don't make it any further south than West Palm, so our weather in South Florida is usually good except for a handful of days in the winter.

Just a heads up, there's a music festival happening November 11-14 called Welcome to Rockville. It's at the Speedway, but it's a pretty big festival and will have a big outcome, so that area will be pretty busy. I would avoid that weekend

South Daytona is much quieter. The closer you get to the National Seashore the quieter it will be. Accomodations in the area will still fill up for major events, though. The water in that area will be way too cold for swimming in November unless you're a seal.

The water in that area will be way too cold for swimming in November unless you're a seal.
Many people don't understand the differences in sea temperatures in Florida. The differences are caused by the fact that the Florida Peninsula is quite long (over 400 miles from the northernmost beginning of the Keys to Jacksonville), the shape of Florida's east coast, and the flow pattern of the Gulf Stream. Ocean temperature can vary 10 degrees between Miami and Daytona, for example.

Below is a beach water temperature map. It's only for one moment in time, but it can give you an idea of the differences in temperature.

Very true, Jim, but that's current water temp. for early September.

Avg for Daytona Beach in November is around 70F, which is too cold for most people to be comfortable swimming, or even wading more than ankle-deep. The November average for Miami Beach, by contrast, is around 78F. (Which is still too cold for most Floridians, who usually won't swim unless the water temp is at least about 82F)

Very true, Jim, but that's current water temp. for early September.
Right. That's exactly what I said. The map only shows one moment in time, but it can give OP an idea of the differences.

(Which is still too cold for most Floridians, who usually won't swim unless the water temp is at least about 82F)
Truth be told, when the AIR temp plunges below 70 F in Miami , the ski parkas, high boots, and scarfs come out!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter