Tell me about Yosemite

disneychrista

DIS Veteran
A sometimes friend just invited me to go with him to Yosemite this coming weekend. Tell me all about it. What are the highlights of the must see things?

It's going to be somewhat cold in November. It doesn't sound like it's going to be too bad, but it will be close to freezing at night over the next two weeks. Definitely bring layers. There's also a chance that the waterfalls could be dry. Right now Yosemite Falls looks pencil thin.

https://yosemite.org/webcams/yosemite-falls/

I've been to Yosemite during the off-season and it can be nice since the crowds are low. Waterfalls obviously won't be at their best, but the granite is still there. There won't be as many services.

The Ahwahnee can be pretty nice at night where they sell hot beverages and unless something has changed the double fireplace at the Great Lounge is really nice. However, I rather like The Mountain Room at Yosemite Lodge.

Going in autumn is a really beautiful time there. I was just up there a couple of weeks ago with my brother. Simple highlights:
  • Glacier Point/Washburn Point - Must sees. Glacier Point has the better of the two views, because you can see the valley itself, including what is left of Yosemite Falls (there was still some water a couple of weeks ago). However, weekend traffic is extreme so you should go early, or expect to wait some time before being able to park. One of the reasons being that the road to Glacier Point was closed all of 2022 for maintenance, and earlier this year due to the effects of the extreme snow.
  • Yosemite Village Visitor Center
  • Yosemite Falls-base -- it's a 10 minute walk from the road to the base.
  • Bridalveil Falls-base -- again, a short walk if it's open
  • Curry Village for their delicious pizza --- so good, and some of the best I've tasted. You eat out in the open and they make it fresh. If it's too cold they have a buffeteria at the Yosemite Lodge and some other simple dining at Yosemite Village.
  • You can also check out the Ahwahnee Hotel - It's really beautiful there (and pricey)
  • If you get to the valley early enough, or are staying in the valley, I'd recommend riding the shuttle (about 1-1/2 hours) and then on the second loop get off where you want
  • LeComte Memorial - has some interesting exhibits
  • Rent bikes at Curry Village and just bike around the valley and explore
If you like a little hiking:
  • Go to Happy Isles and check it out, then take the trail to the bridge where you can view Vernal Falls -- it's a pretty easy walk, but steep
  • When you're going up to Glacier Point there is a trail to Sentinel Dome - easy/moderate walk/hike (it's a hike if you're out of shape) and you'll have a great view from up there.

I go to Yosemite quite often - twice this year - even if it's just an overnight trip from Los Angeles. I've also camped there, stayed at Housekeeping, Curry Village, Yosemite Lodge (all in the valley), and stayed in the cabins by Wawona Hotel and Yosemite West (by the Glacier Point turnoff.) Going again in late November. When my brother and I went a couple of weeks ago, we drove up the 395 (east side of the Sierras), stayed in Lee Vining, and drove over the Tioga Road - it was beautiful.

All of it. Waterfalls . Half Dome. Wildlife. Google Yosemite images.

Maybe not waterfalls. It's looking pretty sad right about now.

yosfalls-t.jpg

We made our first trip ever in September. That's saying something as I am 66 and have lived all my life within 3 hours of Yosemite. My kids all went multiple times on school trips where they spend a week there. When I was in school the big wheel long trips were all to the coast. Survival trips were the big thing then....late 1960's...where you camp on the beach for a week and live on what ever you can catch or harvest.
As for Yosemite, allow lots of time because there is a lot of ground to cover. The free bus that takes you around the park is great, but we learned quickly that the map isn't too scale. Many of the bus stops are within easy walking distance of each other, no need to wait for the bus.

Weather and how much time you are there will impact if you can do these two things, but the highlights from when I have visited are Mariposa Grove and Tuolumne Meadows. And, not just the locations specifically, but the roads going there from the valley, Tioga Road (Tuolumne Meadows) and Wawona Road (Mariposa Grove), are filled with amazing scenery. Those drives take a lot of time though (especially if you take advantage of some of the lookouts along the way), so may not be possible if you have limited time. If I could only do one of those two, it probably would be Mariposa Grove, the Sequoias there are awesome, and it has an excellent system of easy walking trails throughout.

Weather and how much time you are there will impact if you can do these two things, but the highlights from when I have visited are Mariposa Grove and Tuolumne Meadows. And, not just the locations specifically, but the roads going there from the valley, Tioga Road (Tuolumne Meadows) and Wawona Road (Mariposa Grove), are filled with amazing scenery. Those drives take a lot of time though (especially if you take advantage of some of the lookouts along the way), so may not be possible if you have limited time. If I could only do one of those two, it probably would be Mariposa Grove, the Sequoias there are awesome, and it has an excellent system of easy walking trails throughout.

Easy access to Mariposa Grove is going to be closed on Nov 7 for storm repairs, so that's a no go unless the OP is willing to hike in.

• Mariposa Grove Road and shuttle service will be closed on Tuesday, November 7​

On November 7, access to the Mariposa Grove trailhead will be possible by hiking on the Washburn Trail from the Mariposa Grove Welcome Plaza and Parking (two miles each way with 500 feet of elevation gain).

https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/conditions.htm

Bummer about the waterfalls, that would have been nice to see. I know he mentioned The valley floor, half dome and El Capitan. I am for the most part leaving everything up to him. But it is nice having some idea about what is there. So thank you for all the insight.

What if you get there and it's not time to be friends???:duck:
HAHAHA! Let's up that doesn't happen. 😲

I still like how you can see the outline of the waterfall on the rock even when it out of water.

Some call it the "bathtub ring". I've seen photos showing the water even beyond that. I was there in a good year where it was just raging in late June, but some years it's already a trickle by early June.

Some climbers even go up it if it's completely dry, but there's always a danger of being swept over if there's sudden rain.

Going in autumn is a really beautiful time there. I was just up there a couple of weeks ago with my brother. Simple highlights:
  • Glacier Point/Washburn Point - Must sees. Glacier Point has the better of the two views, because you can see the valley itself, including what is left of Yosemite Falls (there was still some water a couple of weeks ago). However, weekend traffic is extreme so you should go early, or expect to wait some time before being able to park. One of the reasons being that the road to Glacier Point was closed all of 2022 for maintenance, and earlier this year due to the effects of the extreme snow.
  • Yosemite Village Visitor Center
  • Yosemite Falls-base -- it's a 10 minute walk from the road to the base.
  • Bridalveil Falls-base -- again, a short walk if it's open
  • Curry Village for their delicious pizza --- so good, and some of the best I've tasted. You eat out in the open and they make it fresh. If it's too cold they have a buffeteria at the Yosemite Lodge and some other simple dining at Yosemite Village.
  • You can also check out the Ahwahnee Hotel - It's really beautiful there (and pricey)
  • If you get to the valley early enough, or are staying in the valley, I'd recommend riding the shuttle (about 1-1/2 hours) and then on the second loop get off where you want
  • LeComte Memorial - has some interesting exhibits
  • Rent bikes at Curry Village and just bike around the valley and explore
If you like a little hiking:
  • Go to Happy Isles and check it out, then take the trail to the bridge where you can view Vernal Falls -- it's a pretty easy walk, but steep
  • When you're going up to Glacier Point there is a trail to Sentinel Dome - easy/moderate walk/hike (it's a hike if you're out of shape) and you'll have a great view from up there.

I go to Yosemite quite often - twice this year - even if it's just an overnight trip from Los Angeles. I've also camped there, stayed at Housekeeping, Curry Village, Yosemite Lodge (all in the valley), and stayed in the cabins by Wawona Hotel and Yosemite West (by the Glacier Point turnoff.) Going again in late November. When my brother and I went a couple of weeks ago, we drove up the 395 (east side of the Sierras), stayed in Lee Vining, and drove over the Tioga Road - it was beautiful.

Hi, I'm not the original poster and I do not mean to hijack this thread, but we are visiting Yosemite this summer and your post gave me some great ideas of things we should see while there. Thank you!

My question is, when we leave Yosemite, we'll be heading to Anaheim to visit Disneyland for a few days. Do you have a suggested route we should take? We've never been to CA so we were just planning on using Apple Maps, but if you have a better suggestion, please let me know. Thanks!

Hi, I'm not the original poster and I do not mean to hijack this thread, but we are visiting Yosemite this summer and your post gave me some great ideas of things we should see while there. Thank you!

My question is, when we leave Yosemite, we'll be heading to Anaheim to visit Disneyland for a few days. Do you have a suggested route we should take? We've never been to CA so we were just planning on using Apple Maps, but if you have a better suggestion, please let me know. Thanks!
Don't know how much time you have allocated, but Big Sur/Highway One south of San Francisco is one of the two most spectacular drives on the North American continent. Allow at least two days so you can stop frequently to soak up the views and take pics.

Don't know how much time you have allocated, but Big Sur/Highway One south of San Francisco is one of the two most spectacular drives on the North American continent. Allow at least two days so you can stop frequently to soak up the views and take pics.
We are planning on driving it, but only down to Monterey where we will then head inland.

There really aren't too many ways out. It really depends on where you're going to be. The southern entrance is generally going to be the fastest exit to most of Southern California, but that could be a bad choice if there's something like an accident or perhaps road construction. If you look up traffic info, going through Merced from Yosemite Valley is only marginally slower than a straight shot to Fresno. However, if you haven't visited the southern part of the park, it might be worth going that way for maybe a visit to Glacier Point or Wawona.

Obviously you can't control traffic, and Yosemite can be maddeningly frustrating trying to enter or exit in the summer. Especially trying to get out of Yosemite Valley during the peak season.

Traffic-at-Bridalveil-Straight.jpg

There really aren't too many ways out. It really depends on where you're going to be. The southern entrance is generally going to be the fastest exit to most of Southern California, but that could be a bad choice if there's something like an accident or perhaps road construction. If you look up traffic info, going through Merced from Yosemite Valley is only marginally slower than a straight shot to Fresno. However, if you haven't visited the southern part of the park, it might be worth going that way for maybe a visit to Glacier Point or Wawona.

Obviously you can't control traffic, and Yosemite can be maddeningly frustrating trying to enter or exit in the summer. Especially trying to get out of Yosemite Valley during the peak season.

Traffic-at-Bridalveil-Straight.jpg
We are staying at Yosemite Valley Lodge, so I guess we'll have some traffic to contend with, lol!

We are staying at Yosemite Valley Lodge, so I guess we'll have some traffic to contend with, lol!

It's a obviously a popular place. If you haven't already visited the southern portion of the park, I'd suggest going south that way and making a few stops.

However, the last few time I was in Yosemite I went camping so I knew I had a parking space. We preferred staying where we were (with our car parked) and then took the Valley Shuttle everywhere, unless it was Tioga Road or Wagon Road (including Tunnel View).

The best route, or most direct route is to take the southern exit, Hwy 41 that takes you through Fresno. From there catch the 99 south and it will merge with the 5 south that will take you to Anaheim. I always leave my Google maps on so I can be redirected in case of accident.

Fresno is about four hours from LA, and you will go through Bakersfield, which is about two hours. We always stop there for a bite to eat before our final leg into the LA area.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter