• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tell Me I Did The Right Thing!

DisneyStarWisher

Love My DVC!!!
So I have changed my reservation for October a thousand times. First, we were going the first week. Then we had to change it to the last week. We were in a value studio at AKV for the first night and a standard for the remaining trip. Then I decided I didn't want to move rooms, so I was able to change the first night to a standard. Well, I just changed again! I was able to get Copper Creek the last two nights of our trip. So we will be in a standard studio at AKV for the first 3 nights (plans are to go to AK, Epcot, and MK and to just enjoy the resort such as pool time, dinner at Jiko, breakfast at Boma) and then move to a standard studio at Copper Creek for the last 2 nights (plans are to go to MK and Epcot, dinner at Kona, fireworks on the Poly beach, more fireworks at TOTWL, lunch at WCC--these were our original plans and we plan to keep them obviously). So the convenience of being in the MK area the last two days seems great, but this does mess up my resort day in the middle of my trip and I dread moving luggage. Please tell me this makes sense and will be worth it!

I'm debating the same thing. Tomorrow is the 7 mo booking day for our trip. I'd like to try Copper Creek especially at Christmas. We've never stayed at WL. We'd have to do a split stay since nothing is available for the entire trip. I just don't know if I want to bother with that. We can still visit the resort so we may just stick with AKL. It's beautiful at Christmas too.

So the convenience of being in the MK area the last two days seems great, but this does mess up my resort day in the middle of my trip and I dread moving luggage. Please tell me this makes sense and will be worth it!

I think you will enjoy CCV and shouldn't have any issues with the transfer. Just have bell services pick up your bags from AKV and deliver them to CCV while you head out to the parks. Come back around 4:00 and pick up your bags and move into your CCV villa. Nothing to dread except packing again but that doesn't take all that long. Enjoy your trip planning! :)

I'm debating the same thing. Tomorrow is the 7 mo booking day for our trip. I'd like to try Copper Creek especially at Christmas. We've never stayed at WL. We'd have to do a split stay since nothing is available for the entire trip. I just don't know if I want to bother with that. We can still visit the resort so we may just stick with AKL. It's beautiful at Christmas too.
We have stayed at VWL but not at Christmas. It's my DH's favorite resort, so he is happy. I didn't get to go to AKV last year and miss it so much. So we will have the best of both worlds. And you are right, AKV is beautiful at Christmas, too!
I think you will enjoy CCV and shouldn't have any issues with the transfer. Just have bell services pick up your bags from AKV and deliver them to CCV while you head out to the parks. Come back around 4:00 and pick up your bags and move into your CCV villa. Nothing to dread except packing again but that doesn't take all that long. Enjoy your trip planning! :)
That's the problem. Check out day is not a park day. We had planned on having a resort day that day. I just keep telling myself that the ease of transportation those last two days will make up for the inconvenience of repacking and being homeless on our resort day.

I know that a lot of people do resort days on the days they move but I'd personally be switching my schedule around a bit to do a park day on the moving day and choose a different day for a resort day. But, as I mentioned lots do resort days and are happy with it.

I know that a lot of people do resort days on the days they move but I'd personally be switching my schedule around a bit to do a park day on the moving day and choose a different day for a resort day. But, as I mentioned lots do resort days and are happy with it.
I really thought about it. But we are there only 4 1/2 days, and we are doing only 2 park days. We will be arriving so late the first night that we plan on sleeping in and doing Disney Springs that day and Jiko that night. Our first park day is Day 2. I really don't like back-to-back park days, thus why we are waiting until Day 4 to do our second park day. I would rather do it that way than to have my last 1 1/2 days with no parks. I also don't want to do MK on a non-party day since we are trying to avoid crowds on this trip.

Last edited:
My family hates split stays. We have had really bad luck with being homeless on moving day - some trips not getting into the new room until after 6:00. Add to that all the packing and unpacking, it just isn't for us.

I agree with pp about having a park day on moving day. You will have no "home base" for most of the day, and being at a park all day makes that easier.

My family hates split stays. We have had really bad luck with being homeless on moving day - some trips not getting into the new room until after 6:00. Add to that all the packing and unpacking, it just isn't for us.

I agree with pp about having a park day on moving day. You will have no "home base" for most of the day, and being at a park all day makes that easier.
I don't like split stays either, but we don't have enough points (even if there was availability) at Copper Creek, plus I really miss AKV and want to stay there, too. If we are going to try out Copper Creek, this is the year to do it. We won't have enough points next year.

It's weird, usually when I do split stays, I plan on Disney Springs on moving day. We don't want to go to a park on moving day since you have to get there so early and we are ready for a rest in the middle of the day. I think this will work out since we can sleep in and then enjoy AKV in the morning. Then we can move to CCV and enjoy that resort and maybe swim until our room is ready. I just hope it's not 6:00 before we get in! We will definitely be wanting our nap by 4:00.

What did you decide to do?

What did you decide to do?
No studios available anywhere. Copper Creek did have 1 bedrooms but I just didn't want to spend 60 points for 3 nights when all 8 nights at AKV is only 96. We'll just visit Copper Creek for a day. Settling in & not having to move sounds good to me. I'd have done the split stay if studios were available though. I still want to try WL some day. Only resort we haven't stayed in yet.
Are you staying with you're plans?

No studios available anywhere. Copper Creek did have 1 bedrooms but I just didn't want to spend 60 points for 3 nights when all 8 nights at AKV is only 96. We'll just visit Copper Creek for a day. Settling in & not having to move sounds good to me. I'd have done the split stay if studios were available though. I still want to try WL some day. Only resort we haven't stayed in yet.
Are you staying with you're plans?
Yes, we're sticking with them. The more detailed plan is...
Sleep in on moving day. Drop off luggage, then eat at Boma around 10:30. Relax in the AKV lobby and go check out the savannas. Then we will head over to CCV and check out the renovations, probably swim after that until our room is ready. Nap, shower, and head to Kona Cafe for dinner and fireworks on the beach. A relaxing day, hopefully we won't miss our room.

Yes, we're sticking with them. The more detailed plan is...
Sleep in on moving day. Drop off luggage, then eat at Boma around 10:30. Relax in the AKV lobby and go check out the savannas. Then we will head over to CCV and check out the renovations, probably swim after that until our room is ready. Nap, shower, and head to Kona Cafe for dinner and fireworks on the beach. A relaxing day, hopefully we won't miss our room.
Sounds like it'll all work out fine. Enjoy your trip!

So the convenience of being in the MK area the last two days seems great, but this does mess up my resort day in the middle of my trip and I dread moving luggage.

Have them move your luggage.

We generally have a car and will stash bags with Bell Services at the first resort until later when we're ready to move. We've also sent an adult with the car and bags to resort 2, then meet up and do whatever.

Resort day on moving day means you have TWO resorts to play at that day. Double the pools, double the grounds, etc! Extra fun! Make sure you have your swimsuits, sunscreen, any medication you need, coverups, etc etc, and have some fun. Move to resort 2 when ready and repeat the fun from resort 1.

It's less obvious that you don't have a room if you do a resort day vs a park day, but all it takes is some planning and you don't have to feel that your day is diminished by not having access to your "own" space.

Have them move your luggage.

We generally have a car and will stash bags with Bell Services at the first resort until later when we're ready to move. We've also sent an adult with the car and bags to resort 2, then meet up and do whatever.

Resort day on moving day means you have TWO resorts to play at that day. Double the pools, double the grounds, etc! Extra fun! Make sure you have your swimsuits, sunscreen, any medication you need, coverups, etc etc, and have some fun. Move to resort 2 when ready and repeat the fun from resort 1.

It's less obvious that you don't have a room if you do a resort day vs a park day, but all it takes is some planning and you don't have to feel that your day is diminished by not having access to your "own" space.
I think it is a great idea. Have fun.
Thanks! You all are making feel better about it! I actually think it will be a great way to spend the day. Bumbershoot, I especially love the way you look at it!

I love split stays. DW is tolerant. It's like getting 2 vacations back to back. We always drive to WDW, so moving our luggage is not a big deal. Any day at WDW is great! Enjoy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter