Tell me it is ok to splurge on a on a Disneyland Hotel

You can use the monorail to get into the park (passes are shown before getting on). I don't know if they deliver the stuff to the room or if you just pick up from the front. I know we've had stuff delivered but we have always picked it up from guest services.

Thanks Everyone!!! I slept on it and i am going to call and see if I can switch to DLH. I almost called last night, but decided to wait so that I call when no one is home so that it can be a surprise to DD and DH. DH can not keep a secret so he can't know when I do book it. all our bdays are in January so it will be a Christmas /birthday gift to ourselves(right??)

Now is there anything I should know about DLH?
If I buy something to they deliver to your room or leave it up front?
Do kids need to know how to swim for the pool slides(niece doesn't know)
what other restaurants are there that we might have missed?
Any special places to see fireworks etc.
Can we use the monorail to get back in? ( have only used to to get out)

I don't know about purchase delivery.

They do NOT need to know how to swim for the pool slides. Swim vests are available, courtesy of the hotel, if they want to do the bigger slides and you want to use them. They're really awesome vests. I actually bought one for my daughter for home use after she used them the first time there.

Restaurants at DLH include Goofy's Kitchen, Steakhouse 55, Tarrangoa Terrace (counter service - you can eat there or ask for to go for your room), Trader Sam's (table service) and The Coffee House (coffee, snacks, etc.). There is also a very small sundries shop in the lobby of the Fantasy Tower.

There are a couple of ways to watch fireworks from the hotel. One, is to book a premium DTD view. If you book a premium concierge room (option 2) you will not only have a view from your room, you will be able to go to the E Ticket lounge and view fireworks while you have some desserts (you can also take them back to your room). The third option is based on luck. We've stayed in 1 bed suites and gotten put on the 14th floor of the Frontier tower the last two times, with a view of the inside courtyard of the hotel. From there you have an AMAZING view of fireworks. Other than that, you can go into DTD to view fireworks too.

You can take monorail to and from park, as long as it is operating.

IF you can afford it, of course it is okay. It is all up to personal preference. Personally, even though we could easily afford it, we decided against it. I'm kind of glad we did. Our off-site room was spacious, brand new, and had a microwave that we ended up using a fair bit. It was about as far as PPH or DLH would have been, and we saved hundreds of dollars. We also aren't pool people like your family is, so that made our decision easier. ;)

Parcel delivery is to the desk just out front of the main lobby. All the times we went, any shopping we had done in the park was available for pick up at the desk the next morning by 7 am.

We love the DLH, won't stay anywhere else (well, we would stay at the Grand if DLH was booked). I don't like motels which most of the lodging on Harbor is and the Disney resorts are as much a part of the experience for us as the parks. That being said, I have noticed that when people go back and forth about trying to "justify it" they are often disappointed. You are not going to have a perfect stay and it is not going to be a 5 star resort with a personal butler. You will have a nice room, close proximity to the park, and if something is wrong they go above and beyond to correct it. We don't think it can be beat, but just beware that if you are thinking the price tag is a little high you may be in that group that has buyers remorse after the trip. Again, I can't recommend the DLH enough, but I'm not sure you can justify the price if you are already leary about it.

I don't know about purchase delivery.

They do NOT need to know how to swim for the pool slides. Swim vests are available, courtesy of the hotel, if they want to do the bigger slides and you want to use them. They're really awesome vests. I actually bought one for my daughter for home use after she used them the first time there.

Restaurants at DLH include Goofy's Kitchen, Steakhouse 55, Tarrangoa Terrace (counter service - you can eat there or ask for to go for your room), Trader Sam's (table service) and The Coffee House (coffee, snacks, etc.). There is also a very small sundries shop in the lobby of the Fantasy Tower.

There are a couple of ways to watch fireworks from the hotel. One, is to book a premium DTD view. If you book a premium concierge room (option 2) you will not only have a view from your room, you will be able to go to the E Ticket lounge and view fireworks while you have some desserts (you can also take them back to your room). The third option is based on luck. We've stayed in 1 bed suites and gotten put on the 14th floor of the Frontier tower the last two times, with a view of the inside courtyard of the hotel. From there you have an AMAZING view of fireworks. Other than that, you can go into DTD to view fireworks too.

You can take monorail to and from park, as long as it is operating.
Thank you so much for all the info!!!

It's not worth it at all to us but you do you, girl! :flower1: People spend their money in different ways (like we upgrade on our airfare tickets so we can be first on/first off, but not everyone sees the value in that). If you see the value in staying on-site, do it. If not, the hotels across/down the street can be just as nice ($200-$300 per night savings ain't too bad either ;) ).

I haven't done that at DLH, but at the Grand, they deliver my items to the concierge desk between midnight and 6am. I pick it up from the concierge anytime after 6am.
No, but keep a close eye.
Goofy's Kitchen and Steakhouse 55 are the table service restaurants. You can look at Steakhouse 55 menus online. They have breakfast, dinner and afternoon tea on the weekends. Tangaroa Terrace is counter service and right next to it is the Trader Sam's tiki bar, which will serve some food items and is a very enjoyable place to sit outdoors or indoors if you don't mind dark/crowded. There's a coffee place, too. I cannot remember the name of it, but it is right in between the 2 sit down restaurants and it closes early in the day.
You can. It will drop you off in downtown Disney, but very close to the hotel. The lines can be really long and in some cases, you might find it quicker to walk to back.

When we went to DL, we upgraded our room from off site to DLH. We didn't LOVE the location, we found the walk far back to the hotel after a long day in the parks. But we are not mid-day break people, We got up early, used the EMH at the parks, and stayed until after supper all 3 days. We were usually asleep by 9:30. LOL When we were there, the slides were down for maintenance which was VERY dissapointing, the slides were part of the reason we had booked that hotel. I don't know. DH said he would stay there again if given the chance, but I personally am ok with booking a good neighbor hotel as we only use it for sleeping anyways!

Put me in the category of once I stayed on site, there was no turning back. First time I went to DLR, I stayed off site and really didn't like the going to and from the park (either on foot or by transportation). It just seemed to take some of the magic away. The next time we went we decided to stay at DLH and LOVED it. I have since stayed at the DLH 3 more times and the GCH twice. We have an upcoming trip in December and are once again staying at the GCH.

When we used to have a stroller, carrying some merchandise around the park wasn't a huge deal but now that we don't have a stroller, that delivery service is HUGE. We buy a lot of stuff in the parks and just send it to the room. Kids don't always like this as you don't get it until the next day but oh well! I'm the one who'll get stuck holding it otherwise!

Also, just the ambiance - it's so much different in my opinion. I stayed at PPH once and didn't love it but the other two, it just feels like you're on vacation, like you're at a resort.

The pool at DLH is great, especially little kids as the slides are in more of a splash pad type pool and don't go into deep water. My little non swimmer did great on her own while I sat back and kept careful watch. But the lifeguards are ON IT.

The downside to the DLH, for me, is the walk. I find that the monorail isn't a reliable means of going to and fro. It's often down when I'm there. Also, I find myself in DCA a lot - which the monorail cannot be used from there.

Early entry is great at DCA. DL MM doesn't really blow my skirt up. Too many people are allowed in only two lands are open. They really need to limit to MM for 3 day PH tickets. It should be for onsite guest only.

I hope you can book it. I really do think you'll love it!! Let us know how it goes :)

For us, it's just not worth it. You can stay in a good hotel across the street for $200/night less. Honestly, if I had the extra $1000-1500 to spend at a Disneyland hotel, I'd probably just spend a little more and fly to WDW and stay at one of their moderates. In my opinion, mine, the moderates there are better than the PPH or DLH. And the Grand Cali is like the Wilderness Lodge, which is the low end of the deluxe at WDW. But at DL, it's like the premium of all premiums.

But that's just how we do it. We have stayed at DLH at a huge discount, and even at that price, it was barely worth it for us. But I think everyone should try it at least once.

Any special places to see fireworks etc.
1. Purchases sent back will be with the Bell Desk.
2. No, and they provide life jackets.
3. Steakhouse 55? GREAT breakfasts, even better dinners. We also enjoy grabbing Tortilla Jo's take out taquiera on the walk back.
4. If you have a park facing room, you can see them from the room. If you have club services, the E-Ticket lounge has a good view.
5. Yes, you can use the monorail both ways.

For us, it's just not worth it. You can stay in a good hotel across the street for $200/night less. Honestly, if I had the extra $1000-1500 to spend at a Disneyland hotel, I'd probably just spend a little more and fly to WDW and stay at one of their moderates. In my opinion, mine, the moderates there are better than the PPH or DLH. And the Grand Cali is like the Wilderness Lodge, which is the low end of the deluxe at WDW. But at DL, it's like the premium of all premiums.

But that's just how we do it. We have stayed at DLH at a huge discount, and even at that price, it was barely worth it for us. But I think everyone should try it at least once.
I used to be this way too. But as I have gotten older, things change and I now, I enjoy the hotel as much as I enjoy the park.

Everyone has their price points. I enjoyed the motels across the street, and do still enjoy the Candy Cane and Hilton, but I do really enjoy the Disneyland Hotel and Paradise Pier more now.

We are getting ready for our first trip to WDW. I am very lucky to have someone who has a handle on the 6 mos dining stuff and FP stuff. She keeps telling me she is going to get me a Xanax, as all this planning freaks me out. I think this may be a one and done for me.

I used to be this way too. But as I have gotten older, things change and I now, I enjoy the hotel as much as I enjoy the park.

Everyone has their price points. I enjoyed the motels across the street, and do still enjoy the Candy Cane and Hilton, but I do really enjoy the Disneyland Hotel and Paradise Pier more now.

We are getting ready for our first trip to WDW. I am very lucky to have someone who has a handle on the 6 mos dining stuff and FP stuff. She keeps telling me she is going to get me a Xanax, as all this planning freaks me out. I think this may be a one and done for me.
Isn't it funny how the perspective changes? When we swapped from WDW to DLR it drove me nuts to have to wait until 60 days to plan anything. Now I just hit my 60 days for DLR and I'm a little annoyed with having to commit to some plans. :laughing:

What room did you get, if you don't mind me asking?

Just a standard room. Trust me just staying on property is huge for me.
Can i ask for a specific tower/area? If so which one? I will take whatever they give being that it is xmas/nye and it will be booked but just in case lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter