Tell me what you know about LAX ***Update pg 2***

CamColt

I will be flying into LAX for the first time this week, and worse, I will be alone. I am having nightmares of getting off the plane and not being able to find my way. I'm not used to traveling alone,especially to new places.

I'm flying on Song airline so it looks like that is terminal 5. So can anyone walk me through from the plane at Terminal 5 to Disneyland? I have a voucher for Super Shuttle.

Thanks! :)

Gosh, you know I just can't remember the layout of the LAX airport since we usually fly into the John Wayne Int. airport in Orange County since it's the closest to Disneyland.

My only advice for you is try not to worry about it. Whenever I fly into an airport that I don't know, I just follow the crowd off the plane and enevitably they lead me to the baggage claim area, which is always right next to the main outside passenger pick-up area for buses, shuttles, taxis, limos, etc...

You should be fine, and no more nightmares! :sunny:

First, LAX is a U-shaped airport and you can only enter and exit the airport in one direction. LAX is also 2-story. The top level is for departure while the lower level is for arrivals. Baggage claim is on the lower level. After you pick up your checked-in bags at baggage claim, if you have any, exit out the sliding glass doors to the street. The first streets you come to is for passengers unloading and loading. Cross the street at the designated crosswalk and you'll see an island where the shuttles meet. Above the island are signs like Parking Lot Shuttles, Hotel Shuttles, etc... This is where you should keep an eye out for Super Shuttle. You should probably give Super Shuttle a call and ask them where they will pick you up.

Thanks, lap 3. Thats a great description. My voucher says they pick up under the orange sign for "Shared Ride Vans", so I figure if I can find that sign, I'm good...or I'll just go chasing the first SS van I see, LOL!

Good tip, Disney super mom. Following the crowd should help,if I dont notice any baggage claim signs. I'm hoping everything is spelled out. The only other time Ive been to CA we flew into Long Beach, and that was so small, I know I would have had no problem there alone. The thought of big scary LAX is a bit nerve wracking. :bitelip:

Here's a map of the airport - http://www.lawa.org/lax/terminalMap.cfm

It's hard to get lost on arrival as everyone just gets funnelled in the same direction towards the baggage collection. After that, as mentioned, just walk out the front, cross the first road, where the taxis drop off, and head for the traffic island right next to the main circuit road and follow the signs for "shared ride vans".

Then, approach a super shuttle person with the clipboard, tell them where you are going and within about 20 minutes (may be less) you should be on your way direct to your hotel.

Hey there. :sunny:

Everyone gave you great advice. When you leave the building you'll see signs hanging above that point where the colored curbs are. Also, there are signs hanging over each section of the outer curb - blue for airport shuttle & long-term parking lots (I know that one well). I do believe that the orange curb will be practically in front of you, so you'll just need to cross at the crosswalk. There will be a Supershuttle person there with a blue vest on to help you get on the right one to go to your destination. It's a lot easier than it sounds....

Hey, I just used the Los Angeles bus & metro system to get to work for the first time yesterday, and the first time in the rain today. If I can figure this stuff out, I know you can! :)

Can I just add a question - are the car hire shuttles in the same place?

We fly in from heathrow and apparently the dollar pick up is off site and we need to get a shuttle (something we weren't told until after we booked and not fun with three children, lots of luggage and me in a wheelchair!!)

Sue

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I'm getting more confident.
Now I just have to worry about getting back to the plane on Sunday. ;)

Sue & Co. said:
Can I just add a question - are the car hire shuttles in the same place?

We fly in from heathrow and apparently the dollar pick up is off site and we need to get a shuttle (something we weren't told until after we booked and not fun with three children, lots of luggage and me in a wheelchair!!)

Sue

Sue - Same as above, there is a certain "color" to look for (not sure off the top of my head) but there is a designated spot for car hire (or rental) bus pick ups. Sometimes in baggage claim, there is either a car rental stand and/or telephones to the agencies if you need additional assistance. If you can, I would see if I could call to make sure they are accomodating of a wheelchair (I would assume so, but perhaps not every shuttle is??)

(Side note...my aunt/uncle live in Hertfordshire...Welwyn) :)

Katie, I just made the exact trip. Just follow the signs to baggage claim. Once outside, you'll have to cross the street to an island, where the orange signs are. It was actually pretty easy.

Coming back, just call them the day before, and they will come and get you at a time about three hours prior to your flight.

Karen

CamColt said:
Thanks for all the advice everyone. I'm getting more confident.
Now I just have to worry about getting back to the plane on Sunday. ;)
Just give yourself ample time for your return flight. It's best to get there early rather than possibly fighting traffic and hurrying to make your flight home.

Sort of a bit off topic but does anybody have any opinions they want to share on which shuttle service is the best one to use :confused3

The prices all seem to be in a similar range.

We need to go from LAX to San Pedro and back again.

thanks for any info you can give me.

Cruisin said:
Sort of a bit off topic but does anybody have any opinions they want to share on which shuttle service is the best one to use :confused3

The prices all seem to be in a similar range.

We need to go from LAX to San Pedro and back again.

thanks for any info you can give me.

If you're going to the San Pedro Cruise Center, you can try Roadrunner Shuttle. They mainly service the Ventura County area but looking at their website, they will take you to the San Pedro Cruise Center or LB Airport.

I use this company when going on business trips and I've never had a problem with them.

Thanks for the info lap3, I will certainly check them out.

***UPDATE***

As you can see, I made it home. :cool1: Thank you so much for all the advice here. I couldnt believe how simple it was.

I got off the plane and followed the signs to baggage claim which were very well displayed. I detoured to the ladies room then by the time I got to the carousel and found my spot, my bag was coming around the corner. I grabbed it and thought of all of you as I made my way out the sliding doors, and crossed to the island. I found the sign and a man in SS clothes. He asked where I was going, I told him Paradise Pier. Within 10-15 minutes a van showed up and I was on my way.

My return trip was just as painless and I was able to find my way around the airport, and to my gate. The signs are very clear thank goodness. They did have me bring my bag down to be xrayed and I wasnt quite sure where I was going with that, but at the first one (that was closed with the rope up) they told me to go down to #3 which was way down, but I found that. My only real glitch was my bag was 4 lbs over weight! :earseek: I had to manuever some stuff around into my carry on. Of course I didnt take much out and the weight went down 10 lbs, so I wonder if that first reading was off. :rolleyes:

But I made it, safe and sound, and now realize I was worried for nothing. So if anyone else is concerned about making a trip to LAX, don't be. Everything was very simple. :goodvibes

To Sue & Company,
Just thought I would let you know how we have handled the rental car in the past when I happened to be in a wheelchair. I would stay at the curb (or just inside the doors if it was hot outside) with the kids and hubby would get on the rental car shuttle and nip over and get the car then double back for myself and kids. We found this a lot faster than transporting us all over to the rental agency. Hopefully this would work at LAX (I have not been to LAX yet) maybe someone local would let us know how hard it would be for hubby to navigate back to the airport from the rental agency.

Hey CamColt,
See! I told you it was easy to navigate! Although LA traffic can be tough to deal with, LAX is pretty easy to get through...even for first-timers. BTW, how was your trip in general?

Thanks, lap3!

My trip was wonderful...tiring, but still great. I have to say, for someone who never thought they would have any desire to visit DL, I've been twice in the past 3 months now and love it. There really is a magic there...not the same as WDW, but still a magic, just different. :wizard:

albianne said:
To Sue & Company,
Just thought I would let you know how we have handled the rental car in the past when I happened to be in a wheelchair. I would stay at the curb (or just inside the doors if it was hot outside) with the kids and hubby would get on the rental car shuttle and nip over and get the car then double back for myself and kids. We found this a lot faster than transporting us all over to the rental agency. Hopefully this would work at LAX (I have not been to LAX yet) maybe someone local would let us know how hard it would be for hubby to navigate back to the airport from the rental agency.

I have been in & around LAX quite a bit, but never done the rental car thing there. I do know that the rental car places can be a bit far, so you may end up with a bit of a wait (especially if it is busy at the rental car agency / airport or both.) If you can call ahead to see if they have a wheelchair accessible van / bus (I would imagine they must??), it may be quicker & easier.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter