Tell me what you love about th Magic

Little Mermaid 35

Earning My Ears
Cruising on the Magic April 2019...this will be our first time on one of the smaller ships. We've done the Fantasy and Dream and loved them both. Will we be disappointed on the Magic? My son LOVED the aquaduck...hoping he'll love the Aquadunk as well. He will be 7 when we cruise.

Share what you like/dislike about the Magic! Thanks:)

Cruising on the Magic April 2019...this will be our first time on one of the smaller ships. We've done the Fantasy and Dream and loved them both. Will we be disappointed on the Magic? My son LOVED the aquaduck...hoping he'll love the Aquadunk as well. He will be 7 when we cruise.

I love the smaller size. You just feel like more "family" with lesser numbers of people onboard.

The Magic was our first ship, and I really preferred the original atrium design over the current one. But I still like the Magic.

I love the smaller size. You just feel like more "family" with lesser numbers of people onboard.

The Magic was our first ship, and I really preferred the original atrium design over the current one. But I still like the Magic.

I second PrincessShmoo! While we love the Fantasy and the Dream, we love the coziness of the Magic and the Wonder. I love the European vibe on the Fantasy, but the Magic will always have the edge as the hubby proposed to me on the Magic on the secret deck, that is no longer accessible to guests, but will always be dear to our hearts <3

My son likes the Aqua Dunk more than the Aqua Duck. If your son is adventurous, he might feel the same way. Because the Aqua Dunk is slightly scary (if you're not used to drop slides), fewer people want to ride on it, so it has a shorter line than the Aqua Duck, as well. (You might want to check that your son is the right height/age for the Aqua Dunk, btw. I forget the guidelines for that.)

The Magic also has the fun but tamer Twist and Spout slide, which is open to passengers of all ages (unlike the similar slide on the Dream class, which is only for kids).

My son and I both prefer Animator's Palate on the Magic over the Dream class version. It looks completely different (better imo) and does not feature Crush, who we find a bit loud and annoying at dinner.

My son felt like he had better counselors at the kids' clubs on the Magic than on the Fantasy. The clubs were also less crowded.

The Pelican Plunge slide on Castaway Cay will have a shorter line.

We thought the Pirate Night party and Till We Meet Again event on the Magic were better than the Dream class version.

We enjoyed the family game shows more on the Magic than on the Dream class. There seemed to be more of them, too.

I personally prefer the Dream class because I really like some of their extra features, but my son actually asked if we could sail on the Magic again next year, instead of sailing the Dream two years in a row. He'd like to experience the Aqua Dunk & classic version of AP again. That doesn't work with our schedule next year (we only cruise during a specific part of Christmas vacation), but it proves the point that a kid can prefer a classic ship.

The Magic is the original DCL ship and is still a great ship today. If you go in with a positive attitude, your son will love it.

Last edited:

While the Fantasy is my favorite ship, I also really loved my cruise on the Magic. None of the public spaces ever felt crowded on board to me, except for the atrium and wish I had a chance to see it before the reimagining.

Not having the Aquaduck, which my family loves, was slightly disappointing however, the standard water slide on the magic is much more fun than the one on the Fantasy and made up for no Aquaduck in my kids minds.

My daughter also loved the Oceaneers Club on the Magic better.

The different shows, especially Tangled, will also add excitement to a few of your evenings.

And lastly Castaway Cay with a lot less people is a wonderful experience. You will have a great time!

As mentioned, the Magic is "cozy", I personally love the smaller size. Castaway Cay feels empty!

Also, the adult only Quiet Cove pool on the Magic/Wonder is so much larger than the Dream class ships.

Ahhhhh the Magic!! Sailed it when it was 6 months old and had several adventures since. DW and I both love the smaller ships because they give you more intimate experiences. You also aren’t walking forever to get back to your cabin or anywhere else all the time!!!! After trying the larger Fantasy, we now opt to cruise the smaller ones. It’s really each person’s personal preference. For us, smaller is better. :smooth:

Aqua dunk is better than aqua duck imo.

Magic and wonder will defintely be better than the dream and fantasy on castaway cay. I think everyone will agree with that.

I like the sports bar and the main bar on the smaller ships. The sports bar on the bigger ships is too small imo.

If the destination was the same I will pick the newer ships thou.

We’ve done the Magic twice and Fantasy once. We are doing the Wonder later this year. Overall, I echo the statements above about size. The pool areas feel more fun as well due to the size. I’m a fan of both the Dunk and the Duck, but will take the shorter lines of the Dunk every time.

I also felt like the food was a slightly higher quality on the Magic and our server teams had more time for small talk. My kids will really miss Midship Decetive, but there is still plenty to do. I’ll miss Remy, but also feel like Palo was superior on the Magic.

Last edited:
There's a height min of 48" on the Aquadunk - just fyi. My 6yo was very sad he was just under that on our cruise in May, and of course had a growth spurt as soon as we came home!

We sailed on the Magic last month for the first time. We loved how small it was. It was so nice to pop back to the room and get something and it not take a half house. On our last cruise on the Dream, we were on the back of the ship. I used my Fitbit and it was 0.3 mile to the top deck, forward. We had the back room on the Magic, and it was so close to get anywhere onboard.

The ship also seemed less crowded.

I love Tangled show with Ugly Duckling pub takeover. I am so excited about the new Tangled Restaurant. We also have had the best servers on Magic. We have sailed on all 4 ships.

We have only sailed twice, Fantasy in 2014/15 and Magic last month. Both were incredible vacations, but getting from point A to point B on the Fantasy seemed like a hike. Magic was more of a strole from one area to another. My children marvelled at the frequency of running into their new friends on the Magic. The Fantasy does have a bit more to keep younger children busy, but there is plenty to do on the smaller ships. In some minor areas, the Magic is showing her age. Nothing major, a bit of worn grout in the bathroom, carpets appearing a bit worn (though far from threadbare), and the like. She is still a beautiful ship. In port next to an NCL ship the Magic just looked like a happy place to be..the NCL ship looked like a sad box.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter