Temp taking when WDW reopens

Status
Not open for further replies.

flmom2rj

Earning My Ears
My daughter has dysautonomia and her body temp is affected by her environment. She will often have a higher or lower temp depending on whether she has been in the direct sun, or air conditioning . Does anyone know who I should contact about this? I do not want to have to explain this to every cast member who is simply doing their job, but will not allow my daughter with temp over 100 degrees to enter.

At this time, there is no way to know if Disney will be taking temps. I seriously doubt it because of visitors like your daughter who have medical issues that impact their temperature. But who knows??
We will have to wait until it is closer to the parks actually opening to know what will happen when entering the parks. My guess, and its only a guess, is that things will look pretty normal at the tapstiles when the parks actually open.

I agree with @dizneefan13 - it’s too early to know what may come with a re-opening. Personally, i just can’t see every random business taking people’s temperatures but who knows. I suggest waiting until WDW makes a re-openimg announcement, and then follow for a bit as procedures may well change and adapt over time.

I imagine if they go the temp-taking route something like this could be addressed with a doctor's note? How do people with pacemakers and metal in their bodies go through airport security?

I imagine if they go the temp-taking route something like this could be addressed with a doctor's note? How do people with pacemakers and metal in their bodies go through airport security?
No doctor's notes at Disney. They would violate the ADA.

Airport security, you tell them you can't go through the scanner because of medical implants, they take you off to the side and wand you over, pat you down, whatever the secondary screening for that airport looks like on that day :)

Doctor’s notes are not allowed due to privacy laws. That’s why I posted the question, to see if there were other ideas out there.
And yes, I know it’s early to be asking, but keeping the dream alive helps with these long days!

Airport security, you tell them you can't go through the scanner because of medical implants, they take you off to the side and wand you over, pat you down, whatever the secondary screening for that airport looks like on that day :)
for metal you tell them where and they extra wand that area at least that is what they have done for me

My daughter has dysautonomia and her body temp is affected by her environment. She will often have a higher or lower temp depending on whether she has been in the direct sun, or air conditioning . Does anyone know who I should contact about this? I do not want to have to explain this to every cast member who is simply doing their job, but will not allow my daughter with temp over 100 degrees to enter.

Could you go at a cooler time of the year, and thus her body temperature would be lower? Go to the parks early in the day, when it's not so hot out?

If Disney World does temperature checks when they reopen this summer, requiring forehead temps under 100 degrees, about half of the overheated, midday-arriving guests will be turned away. Kids in particular overheat easily, and they are Disney World's main demographic. I sometimes have to take steroids that can raise my temperature, and women's fluctuating hormones can cause temperature spikes. And forehead thermometers aren't extremely accurate. I recently was forehead screened by a nurse, and the automated thermometer announced 100 degrees on the right side of my forehead, so she immediately tried the other side of my forehead, and it announced 99 degrees. So...

I just don't see it happening. The delays and scenes at the gates due to families being turned away would be horrific. It would be just for show, anyway, as about half of coronavirus cases have absolutely no symptoms, including fever.

Last edited:
Funny story here.. At walmart my husband has to be temp scanned before entering.. the kid who was doing it failed a few times than it read 93 and the guy goes ok your fine. I dont think people know what your everyday temp should be. These things are totaly not even close to accurate.

Agree with others, too soon to stress about it. If this happens you may have to go at a cooler time as another poster suggested. If they do temperature checks and your daughter did have a fever due to her condition, there really would be no way of knowing 💯 whether it was her condition or covid 19( what they would potentially be checking for.) It is hard when a child has a health condition already😩. My son often runs a slight fever from 99.9-100.9 with his CVS. While I could think it was that effecting him that day if he ran that temp....I wouldn't know 💯. Going in a cooler month though seems like it will help for your daughter possibly, so hoping that works for your trip!!

I don't see this happening. Can you imagine the back up at the entry points? Which employees would be delegated to this task? What happens when one family has a high temp and the rest of the family is fine? Will they be refunding tickets for people with high temperatures? Can people with temps be allowed to still wander through the rest of the resort ( hotel, Disney Springs?) I'm thinking that if screening is the solution, then it is too soon to open.

I have doubts that every guest will be hit with a thermometer on the way in. It could happen, add one more person to each bag check station and hit each guest while their stuff is searched. Plus a station at the bag free lines... I wouldn't make plans based on such weak sauce just yet.

Disney's got some time to work with and I wonder if they'll go all in and buy FLIR cameras for the entrances and then take temps of people who show hot on the screen. It's what I would do.

That said...

First, I'm sure it will be a single action on entering the park and not something they'll be doing throughout the day.
Second, if you're very concerned about this AND you're very sure she doesn't have the COVID, ask her doctor if you can just give her an antipyretic (tylenol or Motrin) at breakfast.

Not if the CDC recommends temperature screening as a measure to stop or slow a pandemic. This is the case in Santa Clara County, CA, and Seattle-King, Pierce, and Snohomish Counties, WA. "employers in those jurisdictions may without running afoul of the Americans with Disabilities Act (“ADA”) conduct such health checks—including temperature checks and respiratory symptom screening—of all employees and visitors on a daily basis."

I would not be surprised if this sort of recommendation is made to support re-opening efforts.

Doctor’s notes are not allowed due to privacy laws. That’s why I posted the question, to see if there were other ideas out there.

There's actually a lot of latitude that can be given to business owners in the event of a pandemic like this, including conducting health checks. In which case, a doctors note might be helpful, except that it's such a clunky solution to this problem that Disney is more likely to just take you at your word on this then bother doing such an investigation.

Unless that sort of investigation (normally just taking a temp and waving you through) is mandated as part of a 're-opening' strategy.

In any case, I would recommend visiting Guest Services outside the parks, let them know what's up, hang out there for a while if needed to let kiddo cool down, then get scanned there and have them issue a DAS to get you through the gates of the parks.

When most people who have covid are asymptomatic this would make little sense to help that.

The best studies on this are ones in which an entire population is tested or when testing includes non-symptomatic subjects. Where that's the case (like the Diamond cruise ship, a complete town in Italy, the voluntary screening in Iceland) the rate of covid-19 positive results that were actually asymptomatic is around 50% or less.

Temperature checks and symptom screenings, then, could reduce the number of infectious people in an area by up to half, which is a good first step. With the rare exception of people like the OP's kiddo, most fevers are a reaction to either a bacterial or viral infection which, even if not the coronavirus, can be catchy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter