Temporary Disability

gadb1

Earning My Ears
We are visiting WDW in about 4 weeks. My wife is recovering from Radio and Chemo therapies adn she has to spend quite a bit of time in a wheelchair.

She is not registered disabled but cannot stand in line for long periods. Can anyone help me with the rules on using the disabled entrances for rides adn shows etc. I am worried that she will not be able to use the disabled entrance but also will not be able to stand in line.

Many thanks

Welcome to the DIS. If your DW is using a w/c she will be able to use what entrances she needs. When you get to the attraction you will either use the mainstream line if it is accessible to w/c or directed to an alternate entrance. The CM at the front of the attraction will direct you. You do not need a MD's note or proof of disability, the w/c is all you need. If your DW has other than mobility concerns, like not waiting in the sun then you miight consider a GAC. If the search option is running try typing in GAC or guest assist card. You will find lots of info there. Also learn about FastPass it can cut your wait time down by quite a bit.
Other than MK which is the oldest park, most lines are accessible to a w/c so you use the same line as everyone else. At MK there are more attractions when you will directed to another entrance, sometimes you enter through the exit.
Hope you have a great trip!

***Three hours to kickoff GO PATRIOTS!!!!***

Welcome to disABILITIES.:wave:
Here is a link to the official Disney website information about touring with disabilities.
They highly recommend that people who have concerns about their endurance or ability to stand in line rent/bring a wheelchair or ecv. That is very good advice because the distances involved in a WDW vacation are much farther than people realize. Just to go around WS in Epcot is over a mile! And, I've read estimates that the average visitor to WDW walks between 3 and 6 miles per day. With a wheelchair, she would be using the handicapped entrances, but in general, she will be waiting the same amount of time whether the handicapped entrances are used or not.
You can rent a wheelchair or ecv (electric scooter) at the parks (the Disney link above gives information on how to do this), but those at the parks can't be reserved ahead of time and there is no guarantee that there will be one when you get there (more of a problem with ecvs than with wheelchairs). They also can only be used in the park where they are rented.
If you are staying at one of the WDW resorts, your hotel may have a wheelchair the can lend (but no reservation and no guarantee). Some people have had good luck with getting one from their resort. Others have said that no wheelchairs were available or the one that was available didn't meet their needs (like extra wide when they needed narrow, or vice versa).
A lot of people choose to rent from one of the off-site companies. Here's a list of the places DIS posters have reported rented from:
Care Medical:
http://www.caremedicalequipment.com/
Phone (407) 856-2273 • Toll Free U.S and Canada (800) 741-2282

Walker Mobility:
1-888-726-6837
www.walkermobility.com

RANDY'S Mobility is in Kissimmee 407-892-4777
http://randysmobility.com/

Colonial Medical
http://www.colonialmed.com/about_cms.html
(800)747-0246

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter