• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

TEMPORARY Refrigerator Removal from WDW Resorts

Status
Not open for further replies.

luvs2travl

Dream BIG...Live GRAND
This was just posted on the Disney TA Blog:

"Due to a possible defect in the refrigerators in some of the Guest rooms at the Walt Disney World® and Disneyland® Resorts, as well as Aulani, A Disney Resort & Spa, Resort hotels at these locations have removed or temporarily disconnected Guest room refrigerators until the issue can be resolved.

Guests staying at these Resort hotels will be notified of the refrigerator removal via a letter in their room. Currently the schedule for replacing the refrigerators at these Resorts is expected to last several months."

Anyone have more details?

This comment was just posted by Disney:
"This is for all Resorts, except Disney Vacation Club rooms and the cabins at Disney's Fort Wilderness Campground. Currently we do not have an exact timeframe for when the fridges will be replaced, but it is expected to take at least 4 months. At each Resort there will be a limited number of refrigerators available by special request"

In response to the comments on the DTA blog, this is the only additional info offered via Disney:

"This is for all Resorts, except Disney Vacation Club rooms and the cabins at Disney's Fort Wilderness Campground. Currently we do not have an exact timeframe for when the fridges will be replaced, but it is expected to take at least 4 months. At each Resort there will be a limited number of refrigerators available by special request."

FYI- Due to a possible defect in the refrigerators in some of the Guest rooms at the Walt Disney World® and Disneyland® Resorts, as well as Aulani, A Disney Resort & Spa, Resort hotels at these locations have removed or temporarily disconnected Guest room refrigerators until the issue can be resolved.

Guests staying at these Resort hotels will be notified of the refrigerator removal via a letter in their room. Currently the schedule for replacing the refrigerators at these Resorts is expected to last several months.

This is for all Resorts, except Disney Vacation Club rooms and the cabins at Disney's Fort Wilderness Campground. Currently we do not have an exact timeframe for when the fridges will be replaced, but it is expected to take at least 4 months. At each Resort there will be a limited number of refrigerators available by special request.

I have to say it would be nice to not have an in-room letter after you've already brought or bought food and drinks and planned to use it. It is bad enough you can't get cold water in your room during the summer months in Florida. A mailed letter would be better so that people who do need it for medical and dietary needs can have the fridge in room already.

Ugh, not good! :scared: I guess we could put ice in one of the bathroom sinks and put our water bottles in there. :scratchin If we were driving I would just bring a cooler, but I would hate to have to lug one on the plane. Cold water is a serious need for us, especially at night. Hmmmmmm......

Ugh, not good! :scared: I guess we could put ice in one of the bathroom sinks and put our water bottles in there. :scratchin If we were driving I would just bring a cooler, but I would hate to have to lug one on the plane. Cold water is a serious need for us, especially at night. Hmmmmmm......

I'm thinking of packing a soft-sided cooler to fill with ice.

keep it on the bathroom floor with a towel under in.

This is really going to mess up the casual DIS'er who comes to the boards asking if ________ Resort has refrigerators. Then 25 people tell them yes they have refrigerators and another 1 or 2 say yes but they're not fridges they're beverage coolers.
Hopefully they'll check back here or on the many other Disney message boards, blogs, facebook pages and twitter accounts so they'll be prepared.

what about if you need them for medical reasons? Wondering if I should send an email to my TA?

I think there will be a limited number of refrigerators available at every resort for clients with medical needs. I would contact your TA just to let her/him know, and that was she/he can note it on your reservation that you need one. :)

Edited to add that this is what Disney is advising their TAs, so YES, definitely contact yours in advance:
You can call the Disney Reservation Center to request a fridge in advance of your Client's vacation. Or, once at the Resort, your Client may request a fridge by dialing "0" on their Resort phone. The Resorts will do their best to fulfill these requests, however they cannot be guaranteed.

what about if you need them for medical reasons? Wondering if I should send an email to my TA?

Each resort has a few fridges available for guests with medical needs. However, they are limited and on a first come basis.

I'm guessing the front desk will have to be a back-up for those in need to utilize their fridge for medical purposes.

I would fax the front desk 3-5 days prior to your arrival that you need a fridge and if it's unavailable what are your options.

Please share what you discover.

Guess I will be making the stop at Walgreens for a cheap-o cooler on my way from MCO.

:scratchin

Hmmm...........

Will be there 8/31. Thank goodness they have ice machines. I just wonder if they will tend to be empty since lots of people will be using ice for coolers.

This is pretty awful! SO many people rely on the in-room mini-fridges to keep water cold, milk for kids or cereal in the morning, perishable snacks, etc. Not having one available is going to cause a lot of visitors a lot of grief. It may seem like a silly statement to make over a mini-fridge but when one stops to think about just how much they are utilized.. :scared:

The 4 month replacement timeline also seems a bit insane. Why would it take so long to replace them? It seems like a task that could be done in a 2 week time period, if that. Order new, remove old, connect new.

In October we're staying off-site because additional family members are joining us and while I WAS disappointed that we weren't on-site, I no longer am. I can't imagine not having cold water at the ready for me, cold juice for DD, etc!

not surprised we were at Port in June and the fridge sucked! it did not work right at all we called housekeeping and front desk it was not a major issues for us as we had a cooler with us we used. They had stated they were having issues with lots of the fridges then!.. and no cold water in tap is common everywhere in Fl in summer we live just outside Tampa and we cant get cold tap from april to oct!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter