Ten COVID-19 cases identified on cruise ship approaching New Orleans

Even with testing right before the cruise, cases can slip through. Imagine that you pick up the virus on the flight down to the port, for instance. That probably wouldn't show up on the pre-boarding test. You could also pick up the virus when the ship stops in other ports during the cruise.

I understand that but they found the 10 cases after testing on the ship again. So why are they testing again?

I was wondering the same thing. I also read on Norwegian's site that since everyone is required to be vaccinated, they do not requite distancing or masks. I thought that was interesting.

I was wondering the same thing. I also read on Norwegian's site that since everyone is required to be vaccinated, they do not requite distancing or masks. I thought that was interesting.
This is why I only sail DCL . We just got off the Dream this morning and the they were very, very efficient when it came to minimizing the risk . Masks indoors were strictly enforced and social distancing in the shows were enforced. Tests were performed 3 days before for unvaccinated kids and all of us the day of embarkation. Also, test was performed before disembarking Castaway Cay on unvaccinated children. We were very pleased with Disney’s protocols and cleanliness throughout the ship.

This is why I only sail DCL . We just got off the Dream this morning and the they were very, very efficient when it came to minimizing the risk . Masks indoors were strictly enforced and social distancing in the shows were enforced. Tests were performed 3 days before for unvaccinated kids and all of us the day of embarkation. Also, test was performed before disembarking Castaway Cay on unvaccinated children. We were very pleased with Disney’s protocols and cleanliness throughout the ship.
Three of the four DCL ships are in yellow status per the CDC.

Reactions: Kae
So probably passengers from other countries?
My guess is at least 1 initial positive was a person from another country who planned to fly straight home at debarkation, therefore needing an onboard test. From there, it's anyone's guess if the rest of the positives were similar non-US or determined to be close contacts of the initial positive. The notice above indicates they are testing all passengers and crew before debarkation.

If you read the itinerary I think this was a PC transit and a long cruise. All of the PC cruises, including DCL, have been testing before the end.
No, it was at the end of a 7 night round trip cruise from NOLA with port stops in Hondoras, Belize and Mexico.

*edited*, this thread is probably going to be closed by the moderators soon and I do not want another smack on the head ;)

Last edited:
It said they were asymptomatic so why the test.
If the people were doing a B2B, they would have been tested the day before they arrived to disembark the first leg. That’s the only thing I can think of. When we did it in October there were probably 50 ppl staying for the next cruise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter