• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tendon inflamed in wrist - experience?

Mrs.Milo

DIS Veteran
My issue started around Nov 1st. My right wrist, right-handed of course, became difficult to brush my teeth, write, open a bottle, move thumb, etc. I made a Dr appt mid-Dec but the office called to cancel the day before as Dr had the flu. Was referred to physical therapy on Jan 2nd and have now had 4 weeks of therapy with little improvement, still much pain. I believe that’s because part of the problem is also arthritis, it’s very stiff and painful in the morning. Not much change over 3 months. Anyone else with experience?

Have you had any imaging? Seems like that should tell you if you have arthritis and inflammation. Your course of treatment should come from the imaging.

I was hit by a car about 15 years ago and one of my dominant-hand wrist ligaments was partially torn when I was knocked to the ground. I opted not to have surgery and was told that physical therapy and keeping the surrounding muscles strong would help stabilize the area, increase mobility, and hopefully decrease the pain. I still do my home exercises when it starts hurting again. It took about 5 years for the pain to subside enough that I didn't want to chop my hand off.

The second time I was hit by a car landed me in a wheelchair and on crutches that I still must use (which of course aggravates my wrist issue). It was after more than a year of intense physical therapy and daily home exercises that some of the tendon inflammation began to settle down enough to not have multiple daily spasms. Perhaps a bit more extreme than your situation but the healing process is often not quick.

I'm no health expert but I can highly recommend watching Disney videos while doing mind-numbing and uncomfortable home physical therapy exercises. I've also found that a heating pad or warm water and gentle exercise helps with morning stiffness, though I don't know if that is recommended at your stage of recovery. If you were recommended to do exercises, do them all as many times a day as you were prescribed (and slowly too because many people rush through them).

Also don't be afraid to ask your physical therapist what his or her opinion is and what is the typical progress his/her patients make with similar injuries. I also found it helpful to do physical therapy only once every couple weeks if I was able to do most from home and then go in to be reevaluated and my exercieses made more difficult...since insurance normally limits the number of visits.

Hang in there!

After living with wrist pain from inflammation for a long time, a cortisone shot is what finally helped. It has been a couple of years since then, without any pain. (Just my experience.)

I was hit by a car about 15 years ago and one of my dominant-hand wrist ligaments was partially torn when I was knocked to the ground. I opted not to have surgery and was told that physical therapy and keeping the surrounding muscles strong would help stabilize the area, increase mobility, and hopefully decrease the pain. I still do my home exercises when it starts hurting again. It took about 5 years for the pain to subside enough that I didn't want to chop my hand off.

The second time I was hit by a car landed me in a wheelchair and on crutches that I still must use (which of course aggravates my wrist issue). It was after more than a year of intense physical therapy and daily home exercises that some of the tendon inflammation began to settle down enough to not have multiple daily spasms. Perhaps a bit more extreme than your situation but the healing process is often not quick.

I'm no health expert but I can highly recommend watching Disney videos while doing mind-numbing and uncomfortable home physical therapy exercises. I've also found that a heating pad or warm water and gentle exercise helps with morning stiffness, though I don't know if that is recommended at your stage of recovery. If you were recommended to do exercises, do them all as many times a day as you were prescribed (and slowly too because many people rush through them).

Also don't be afraid to ask your physical therapist what his or her opinion is and what is the typical progress his/her patients make with similar injuries. I also found it helpful to do physical therapy only once every couple weeks if I was able to do most from home and then go in to be reevaluated and my exercieses made more difficult...since insurance normally limits the number of visits.

Hang in there!

where do you live that you have been hit by a car twice? I’m guessing NYC?

i have tendonitis really bad in my elbow from overuse from mousing on the computer. I have had cortisone shots that helped but the one thing that really helped me with pain relief and to calm it down was acupuncture. They actually asked if i wanted it done at my PT place. It really didn't hurt at all except when they hit one really sore spot and then it was only a fleeting pain and it has helped calm the tendonitis down more than any cortisone shot or pain reliever ever did.

I got tendinitis in my left wrist after the birth of my youngest child. He was a large baby and the constant lifting took a terrible toll on my wrist. It got to the point where I couldn’t use it, the pain was so intense. Went to the dr. and he gave me a cortisone shot. Problem solved. Never had any more issues.

Thanks for all the replies. I go for my last pre-approved PT tomorrow morning. I will ask him what he thinks going forward.

I’m not taking pain medication now. I started with a z-pack of prednisone and have taken aspirin. I use ice packs daily.

Thanks for all the replies. I go for my last pre-approved PT tomorrow morning. I will ask him what he thinks going forward.

I’m not taking pain medication now. I started with a z-pack of prednisone and have taken aspirin. I use ice packs daily.
Some ibuprofen would probably take the edge off.

did the dr suggest PT without knowing the real problem through an X-ray or MRI? While therapists are generally excellent they are not diagnosticians And could be suggesting exercises that are actuaklly making the situation Worse. I’ve had a broken wrist and neCk and back surgery and all required consultation and imaging to determine the best course of action which eventually included PT but not before the real problem was identified. I’d go to an orthopedic dr specializing in hands and wrists Which is what I did when I broke my wrist. He did surgery and because of his specialty I was ensured of gettIng the right care.

OP here. My Dr referred me to PT without imaging, it did not help so cedricandsophie seem to be correct. Therapist is sending a note to my Dr that a MRI is needed. I would just like an answer. Again thanks all

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter