Tennis Shoes or Sandals??

BraveMom3

DIS Veteran
It's about time to start thinking about my "touring" shoes for our upcoming 2 week stay in June, and I'm debating whether to try sandals instead of tennis shoes this year. It seemed that last year my feet were awfully hot. Never noticed this before, maybe it's age!!! Anyone have experience with both, and which worked out better? I've always gone with good shoes, but not too familiar with "walking" sandals.

Thanks!!

I have done long walking days in Docs or Sketchers at Cedar Point, but not Disney. We are going in July over the fourth, and I am going to take my favorite (very well broke-in) sandals with me. I am thinking about trying them on a half-day basis. The mornings in tennis shoes (for hard core touring) and then change half way during our afternoon break to sandals for evening. You could leave them in a locker if you aren't doing the mid day break. Just though I'd share my plans...anyone an expert on this subject????

What works best for me in hot weather was to start in the morining with sneakers & good socks. We always go back to the resort in the afternoon to swim. In the evening I had a good pair of CLARKS black sandles... they are wonderful. I tried Teva etc but was really comfortable in the CLARKS. I liked that they were black I felt a little more dressed to go to dinner. They were great tourning shoes but not what I would call "Sharp" I was trying not to buy them because they looked like Nun shoes. But comfort won out.

ps; Newbalance sneakers are the only kind that fit me right & give me the proper archsupport. If you have'nt tryed them & have trouble finding a good fit give them a try.

I agree with nluvwithdisney, breaking in (and in the process testing) is the most important thing. I have a pair of off-brand sandals that I got at Target, and I can wear them all day with no problem.

I agree - definitely make sure whatever shoes/sandals you decide on are "broken in." I would recommend cool-max socks. For me, TEVA's work best. All day, every day!!

I have done both..... sneakers and sandals. I actually prefer sandals - sporting style sandals, either by Nike or another co. who makes them for running. I also have New Balance sneakers which are awesome.

I also rotate - tend to wear one in the am, then change for the pm. It is very important to bring at least two pair of very comfortable shoes, because you will need to give your feet a break from the same shoes day after day.

As I said, I mostly wear sandals - and another tip with those is to take a pair of very thin sport socks (the low-cut ones) in your bag or pack to put on with the sandals, should your feet get tired, or you have a spot that rubs.

Like everyone says, break in whatever you are taking. AND - take either foot spray or spray anti-perspirant - keeps from getting all sweaty and gross.

Only 6 days to go for me!!!!

I usually take both and switch back and forth. Plus I always take the thicker version of flip flops. I can actually walk in hot weather in these better than anything!!

heal01_small.JPG

How about these? Shot in MK future world. Wouldn't you love to walk around in these all day?

:confused: I just bought the New Balance 554 walking tennis shoe yesterday for going to Disneyland this May. They don't seem to be to comfortable, I'm wondering if they are going to be o.k. by then? If not I'll return them and get Easy Spirit! I know those are good as I have a pair.
Has anyone bought this style (554) How do you like them? (New Balance)

I also just orderded Teva sandals (Aphrodite style) haven't got them yet- I'll let you know.:D

Bennet,
My family and I love your badshoe.com website! It is so funny!
Whenever we're at WDW on vacation all we have to say is "badshoe.com" and we all know what that means....someone standing near us has on a pair of awful,uncomfortable shoes.
What are they thinking??? My feet hurt just looking at them!
Cathy

Just this past week I bought a pair of New Balance 680. They are very comfortable and supportive too.
The sales clerk told me that the higher the number on the style shoe the better the shoe.

When I went last August, I took both my sandals and tennis shoes. What I liked about my sandals was the lack of dirty smelly socks. When wearing sandals, you have to make sure that you put sun screen on your feet...it sounds strange, I know, but trust me on this one. Another plus of having sandals is you don't have to worry about wet shoes and socks. When you take the plunge down "Splash Moutain" you'll have nothing to worry about when your feet get wet. Just my .02 worth.

Steven

Last summer, my eleventh trip to WDW, I purchased a pair of Tevas. They were great, didn't have to worry about getting my shoes wet on the rides, they had enough support, and my feet were fine. One day, I think because it was raining, I decided to wear my (broken in) sneaks -- and that was the only time I got a blister!

BraveMom3....everyone has a different strategy that works for them. A couple of trips ago I got a pair of Tevas and that is all I wear at Disney {and for most of the spring, summer and fall at home}. I wore them for a couple of months before I went and I have never had a blister with them. I cannot stand for my feet to be hot!!I am going for 11 days in April/May and just ordered a catalog from Teva from their website...www.teva.com and may get a heavier duty walking sandal for our next trip. they have a couple of new styles that are for the "serious" walker!

Well not wanting to wind up on badshoe I have packed away all of my gold stilletos and bought some new tennis shoes I have been breaking in LOL! I LOVE that site it is sooo funny what peopel choose to wear!

Seriously I did buy a new pair of sneaks int he smae style size I have BEEN wearing and never had any blisters in I have broken them in fiarly well already and plan to bring my old and new pairs. I will wera the old ones on any water rides etc and if they are nasty or still wet when we pack up I will just toss them on the way out of the hotel.

I have a pair of Sketchers that I WOULD NEVER NEVER never wear for that long a day seems no matter how long I wear them or how hard I try to breka them in I always wind up with a blister! AUGH! My kids both wear them with no trouble but not me..........

Hubby also bought a new pair of sneakers that he has so far worn for a total of 3 hours I keep telling him he has blank days to break em in but hes not doing it! Thats going to be HIS problem!

This is gonna sound weird, but I wear tennis shoes to the park, and bring my Birkenstock sandals in my bag! I just switch when my feet get tired!

I've tried both and find that sandals with natural footbeds, such as cork or suede, work best. They absorb the sweat and reduce the friction of your foot against the sandal. LL Bean, Lands' End, and Rockport all make sandals that will keep you comfortable for those long, hot, multiple-mile days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter