• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tennis skirts and workout attire

I only wear athletic shorts because they are light and comfy and tend not to be as warm when it's hot out like jean shorts do.

I went to the site to check these things out. The Basic versions are $70. NO thanks. I can put on a pair of gym shorts and pull a short, thin skirt over them for the same effect for about $25 from Walmart.

I just don't see the quality in this at all for the price.

I got my Lady Hagen on sale, they were $25 a piece. :) I think $70 is way too expensive, too! For the Lady Hagen, I might pay up to $40. The ones I've gotten are well made and have worn very well. I've also noticed that the Dick's Sporting Goods on line deals are usually better than the in store deals. This is probably going to sound crazy, but I had surgery (for another cancer :-/ ) and couldn't wear anything tight for a long time, and I wore skirts and dresses with thin summer weight men's boxer shorts under them. So very cool and comfortable. :D

Last edited:
I went to the site to check these things out. The Basic versions are $70. NO thanks. I can put on a pair of gym shorts and pull a short, thin skirt over them for the same effect for about $25 from Walmart.

You kind of have to wear a running skirt like a SparkleSkirt or Lululemon before you "get" them. I cringed at the price, too, but after I wore a Sparkleskirt for the first time, there really is no comparison. I can't go back to "regular" skirt/short combos for runs. It is literally painful (oh, the chafing! And the lack of pockets is almost crippling when you're on a 20 mile training run.). You have to measure the value of having something that works for you vs price. If you don't run, yep, they're expensive and maybe not worth it. But if you run and have a collection anyway - you might as well wear them to the parks and get your money's worth! :-)

I personally lived in my sparkle skirts my last 3 trips to Disney, Comfy cooling, look nice and lots of pockets

Seems like lately I'm in my golf clothes all the time. I was thinking of taking them with me for our September trip.

I love wearing active wear skorts in the parks. I find them much more comfortable than shorts. I have some nice ones from Athleta that are probably my favourites.

I get the Athleta catalogs but have never ordered--think that will change after reading this thread so I can get some breathable, comfortable clothes for our trip! In your experience, do their clothes run true to size, or do they run large or small?

YMMV, but I am a tennis player and I strongly dislike Athleta's (and Lululemon's) skorts. They have this rubbery grip stuff on the inside bottom of the undershorts that I can't stand. It's meant to keep the undershorts from riding up. I guess someone must like this because they make almost all of their skorts with it, but it really bothered me (bought one, never again).

I have a lot of tennis skorts because I play tennis, but I had never considered wearing them in the parks (I'm re-thinking it now, after reading this thread). I don't think they breathe well and I change out of them as soon as possible after playing tennis because the back of my legs gets irritated by the sweat moisture otherwise. Doesn't matter which brand I wear, same thing with all of them. I think I am alone in this opinion, but I prefer to wear cotton at the parks in hot weather unless I'm going to be getting wet. Tight clothes in hot weather feel terrible for me.

I think they run true to size. I can predict my size there easily.

Our Dick's has Lady Hagen on sale right now Buy 1 get 1 FREE for their Essentials line. This includes shirts, shorts, and skirts. Picked up a couple today!

I just left there about an hour ago with a bag o' Lady Hagen skorts and shirts :thumbsup2 I've never bought this brand before but tried them on and loved how they fit and looked. Bought 2 polo type shirts and 2 super cute skorts, all seem very light and breathable. I looked at some other brands but the BOGO deal on Lady Hagen essentials was just to good to pass up.

Last edited:
YMMV, but I am a tennis player and I strongly dislike Athleta's (and Lululemon's) skorts. They have this rubbery grip stuff on the inside bottom of the undershorts that I can't stand. It's meant to keep the undershorts from riding up. I guess someone must like this because they make almost all of their skorts with it, but it really bothered me (bought one, never again).

I totally agree on the Lululemon! However, I find Athleta's rubbery grip to be just fine for me, and indeed helpful in keeping them from riding up. Something about Lululemon's grippy edge bothered me, though -- it is thinner and tighter, just in general not comfortable.

Eddie Bauer has some really cute skorts that are lightweight, wrinkle-resistant and really handles sweat well. I feel a little more dressed up in skorts than I do in my shorts.

I totally agree on the Lululemon! However, I find Athleta's rubbery grip to be just fine for me, and indeed helpful in keeping them from riding up. Something about Lululemon's grippy edge bothered me, though -- it is thinner and tighter, just in general not comfortable.
I have one skirt and I have got to find a way to modify it. It's the most expensive skirt I own an

I should check out Athleta's again. I've got to find a way to fix this Lululemon skirt, though! Would rather do it without the help of a tailor, but I can't figure out a way.

I have one skirt and I have got to find a way to modify it. It's the most expensive skirt I own an

I should check out Athleta's again. I've got to find a way to fix this Lululemon skirt, though! Would rather do it without the help of a tailor, but I can't figure out a way.
Lululemon is GREAT about returns...even things that have been worn many times. Take it in - I bet they will take it back!

I love LLbean skorts. They itched a little when new, but after a couple times in the dryer. No more itch. Love love them

Very likely they were wearing Sparkle Skirts. They are very popular with RunDisney groups and people wear them in the parks as well. They have lovely pockets that hold all sorts of stuff so no need to bring in an extra bag for stuff like a wallet or phone. People post their SparkleSkirt pictures in the parks on Facebook all the time.

Yep! I even own some of the "Hiker" length Sparkle Skirts just for things like going to the park for the day. Longer then the running skirt, incredibly comfy and great pockets! Best things EVER LOL!

I assume you are talking about the Sparkle Skirts

Well for one thing they are handmade in the US not mass produced in China.

And if you have worn them and own them I can tell you the quality is great. These things hold up wonderfully. And no, two waistbands with your shorts and skirt will not have the same "effect" LOL!

I don't mind you don't want to spend the money, but not sure how you can 'bash" the quality without actually seeing the product

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter