Tent camping in May? Too hot? Tips for keeping cool?

Violet Parr

DIS Veteran
I know that's subjective, but just thought I'd get some opinions. We lived in FL from June-November of 2013, so I know how steamy it can get. Would we be in for misery if we tent camped in the first half of May?

Does anyone have any tips for keeping cool in a tent? Just stay wet all the time? The last long tent camping trip we did at the Fort was the freeze of Dec. 2010. SO cold. I don't think we've ever camped in temps above 70!

Would appreciate any opinions/suggestions, etc.

Thanks!

VP

We will be camping in June...we have a popup but older kids will be in tent we are putting a canopy tent over the sleeping tent to give some shade during day so tent won't get so hot...plus we will have a fan circulating at night.

Bring fans, first part of may shouldn't be too bad.

Unless there's a rare heat wave, it should be very comfortable in early May. Especially in central FL (I live in South FL). It's right before the humidity kicks in in June.

I know that's subjective, but just thought I'd get some opinions. We lived in FL from June-November of 2013, so I know how steamy it can get. Would we be in for misery if we tent camped in the first half of May?

Does anyone have any tips for keeping cool in a tent? Just stay wet all the time? The last long tent camping trip we did at the Fort was the freeze of Dec. 2010. SO cold. I don't think we've ever camped in temps above 70!

Would appreciate any opinions/suggestions, etc.

Thanks!

VP

The heat/humidity 'can' be bad in May - all depends on the year. You can be sure it will get 'above 70*' though! It can also be 'cool' at night! Just bring some fans, and you will probably be fine.

We went last May 4 for a week and it was so hot!! The heat index was 120 one day. Good luck booking!!

It will likely be hot during the day. Figure 80s, maybe a few 90s.

"Typically" the high humidity doesn't roll in until June/July. Obviously each year or even weeks can be different, but I wouldn't hesitate to camp in May... July? Different story.

j

I am considering may as well, and have never camped at FW, but we usually do a camping trip in May in georgia or Florida. Tips for the heat...plan something for afternoons in air conditioning! We go to movies, sit in the pool, or even go to Walmart or whatever to get out of the heat for a few hours. Disney options would be even better...I would book a late lunch or early dinner inside at one of the resorts and go there for a while. We do have a fan in our tent but it doesn't do much when it gets really hot. Ice cream is good too, haha! Just have a plan and you'll be fine.

We were at the Fort the last week of June 2014. Our older kids stayed in a tent that was inside a canopy tent with solid sides. We also had a portable AC. It worked great. The kids would literally have the covers pulled up around their neck. Besides staying cool (cold) at night, having the canopy and solid sides kept the sun from shining directly on the tent and kept the rain off of the tent. The kids stayed dry throughout the week. In the first pic you can see the tent in the background. The second pic is from the back and you can see how the tent is completely protected from the elements.
20140621_082842_zps2739a7c7.jpg
20140621_082734_zps0f0ef514.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter