• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

tent camping on my own? Please help!

European

Mouseketeer
Hi all,

I'm visiting WDW during the first 2 weeks of September, totally on my own and I am doubting between a youth hostel nearby, tent camping and All Star Resorts. I'm flying over from Europe. Let me give you my pros and cons:

*Youth hostel pros:
- cheap: about $21 a night (plus $2.50 for the bus a day or $10 a week).
- might get to know other people
- will be seeing a little bit outside WDW, not much though

*cons:
- will have to sleep with other people
- bathroom doesn't look clean
- don't really feel like taking a public bus
- the last bus leaves at 9.53 pm at TTC, which is too early for me and I wouldn't feel free
- If I don't like it, bad luck, I can't change it
- read that employees aren't friendly at all
- I hate sleeping on the upper bed of dormits
- I don't expect it to be quiet

*tent camping at Fort Wilderness pros:
- cheap as well, but more expensive than the hostel
- Might meet other people as well
- I can sleep alone
- I can stay on property and use Disney busses
- I can stay at DTD as long as I want to
- I love animals like deer, peacocks, ducks, rabbits, squirrels,...
- I prefer eating at Disney all the time
- If I don't like it, I can always upgrade to an All Star hotel
- employees are friendly and helpfull for sure
- It will be an adventure

*cons:
- I will have more luggage, but I don't think it will be a problem
- Biggest: I hate snakes, insects, spiders,... Aaaah! I'm really afraid of them
- I might not be able to sleep well, because I might be afraid for those bugs/creepy animals
- The weather. It will be hot, but I really think I will be able to stand it. I adore the weather in August/September, I really do. I won't be bringing airco. But what if there's a rain storm? Maybe my tent will be destroyed? I'm also afraid of thunder and lighting.
- I will only be going to the campfire and will not be doing anything else concerning activities. I'm going to buy a 30-day pass so I will be at the parks all the time

*All Star pros:
- if money wasn't an issue, I would go there

*cons:
- I've already stayed there

So basically I prefer tent camping because of the money, but I'm afraid of rain (concerning my tent), thunder and storm and some animals. Don't mind if I see them, but please not in or on my tent!!

What do you people think about it? I really hope you can help me out, because I've been doubting for a month now.

Additional question: do you have to pay extra to take a shower? When is the best time to use them?

Thanks a lot!

Sounds like your best bet is camping at FW.

Bugs aren't a real big problem there - the truck goes through early every morning dusting for mosquitoes. I have seen a couple of snakes over the years. Disney will come if they are annoying, but they will not kill them and generally just watch them unless they are a threat (i.e. poisonous) at which point they will relocate them. For the most part, the campgrounds are busy enough that the snakes just stay away. I don't think it will be a problem in your tent.

The showers at FW are free. We generally get up early in the morning for our showers and there is seldom a wait.

:D

I would think the camping sounds like a good choice. If you are religous about keeping your tent zipped up, you shouldn't have to worry about crawly things.

We camped last year in a fairly cheap tent and were in one of those wonderful thunderstorms that feels like it lasts forever, and stayed very dry. My kids eyes were SO big!! It would be scarier alone.

A month! wow, have a good time!!

Hi! I think you should pick FW! It sounds like you're only big concern is the crawly things. We've stayed at FW every year for the last 16 years, and I have yet to see a bad bug or spider or snake! There are the typical occasional wasp or mosquito, but they are everyplace you will go, not just at FW. And, they spray for mosquitos there, so they're never a problem.

I think you would have a wonderful time! :)

I know I would stay at FW.
The bugs are not too bad but this is Florida, the bug capital of the US.

I have not seen a snake in the actual camping area. We did see one on one of the dog walking trails by the water but it was just a black garden snake that was off in the other direction as soon as it saw us.

You will have to deal with a few thunder storms that time of year but they are mostly in the mid afternoon to early evening when you will probably be at the parks.

If you are at your campsite you can always just head over to the comfort station and wait out the storm. The comfort stations are very well built and have A/C as well.

There are a lot of things to do at the campground when the parks gets to be to stressing. It is very nice to be at your campsite just hanging out and get a little peace and quiet.

Tent camp. Bring a tarp and some rope. String up a "rain fly" over your tent for more rain protection. Also gives you some room to keep other items dry and move around. (Plenty of trees to do this with.) If things get wet, they can be dried. You will find enough helpful, friendly people to help out if you really have any problems.

I'd say tent it. It may be cost prohibitive, but perhaps you could ship your camping gear from home to FW. They will most likely accept your package and hold it for you until your arrival. I bet you meet some great people at FW, too! Have a great time! :D

As long as you stake down your tent properly, you should have no problem even if it rains.

Here is my formula for staying bone dry even in the worst rainstorm.

About every two months, I soak my tent thoroughly with Scotch Guard and let it dry before packing back up. If this is the first time using your tent, make sure you do this at home before coming on the trip.

I buy a package of the cheap disposable painters plastic and lay that down first.

I then have two sheets of 8 mil plastic cut to fit the bottom of my tent.

I lay one down under my tent, then lay the second one down inside my tent.

I use an air mattress and sheets and blanket instead of a sleeping bag.

I also have a sun shelter/rain fly that I set up over the entrance to my tent, so that I can get in and out of my tent dry even if it is raining.

I don't know if you have a Wal-Mart over there, but check out Wal-Mart.com in their camping section.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/prod...=5147&type=21&dept=4125&path=0:4125:4128:5147

and

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/prod...5558&type=21&dept=4125&path=0:4125:4128:55558

That is the tent and shelter that I use at my campsite.

If I am flying, and not driving, I also bring a smaller tent for my gear.

I can pack the following in two duffles for flying:

Sleeping Tent
Gear Tent
Shelter
Flashlight (Battery)
Lantern (Battery)
Air Mattress
Air Mattress Pump (Rechargeable)
Sheets/Blanket/Pillow
Two 20 ft extension cords
Small Fan
Power Strip
Alarm Clock
Cell Phone Charger
Small Mallet for Tent Stakes
Clothes for three days (I do laundry at Ft. Wilderness) Great clean laundry rooms
Two towels
Washcloths
Shower necessities/toiletries (Some of the comfort stations have a liquid soap dispenser in the showers, but not shampoo)
Clothesline
Rainsuit (Pants and Jacket)
A couple of disposable ponchos
Tennis Shoes
Teva Type Sandals
Insect Repellant
Small Bookbag for transporting shower stuff to the comfort station

I also take a folding chair as my carryon:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/prod...=21&dept=4125&path=0:4125:4128:4130:5138:5138

I hope this helps!!!

Ft. Wilderness is great!!

If you stay at Ft. Wilderness in a tent request Loop 1500. It is centrally located in the campground and all campsites are very close to the comfort station. Site 1503 is right next to the comfort station!!

Ft Wilderness is the best campground in the U.S. Clean bathrooms, great tent sites. If rain & your tent might be a problem, pitch a tarp over your tent. You will love camping at Ft Wilderness. The area around the tent is very clear, you don't have to wonder about what is under a log or leaves, because where you pitch your tent is a large pad which contains a grill & picnic table with course sand covering the entire area. You should have no worries camping at FW.
Tom

It sounds like you've been to Disney in the beginning of september before, but if not, just a few things to keep in mind-
-park hours are short!
-the first weekend sept 5 & 6 the MK closes early for Nights of Joy. The following saturday it should be open late with fireworks.
-Epcot world showcase should still be open until 9 every night.
-AK 9-5 every day

Be sure to plan some evening activities! You can only see Fantasmic & Illuminations so many times. :)

I'm a pin trader. And even in September we didn't pin trade THAT much. We always had something to do! It won't be a problem, that's for sure.

European, I have dome tented at FW twice and I'm a single mom. Just make sure to water proof your tent real well and never go away without zipping it all closed. You will have a ball! So what if you get a little wet, you will have memories to last a lifetime!:D

TC:cool:

If you visit Dreams Unlimited Travel and enter your travel dates for a stay at Courtyard by Marriott, you may find that they have most of your stay for just $39/night ($89 on weekends). This may be a bit more affordable than All Stars, while still offering transportation. It's located near Downtown Disney, on Hotel Plaza Blvd. Shuttles normally run about every half hour. Not a bad location for a single.

Also, visit MouseSavers.com to look for discounted rooms, both onsite Disney and offsite. You may find a better deal at All Stars or one of the other DD hotels, like the Courtyard ($20.03/night Sun-Thur nights is listed, with a special phone number). Also, Disney usually offers very cheap rates, with discounts for your time period in September - check later in the spring or early summer. If you get a refundable reservation, you could still look for late discounts.

You may want to look into a Fall special, if you can. Sometimes, in the past, it's been about the cost of usual "value" season rates, but included a free daily breakfast, even at buffets. Then you could eat a large brunch and save quite a bit on your food costs by eliminating the cost of breakfasts & lunches.

I don't think I'd personally care to stay at either the youth hostel nor in a tent, when traveling alone. No problem for me either way, if DH or a good friend or my teen DD was with me for company (and a greater sense of safety in numbers) and if it's the only way to afford a trip. But not if I'm traveling alone. For that, I prefer a hotel. That may just be me. HTH.

You can bid on www.Priceline.com. We got a great room for $35 in the Orlando Hyatt, a 3* hotel. If you were to bid on a less epensive hotel, no less than 2*, you could end up with a lovely room in the close proximity of Disney. Almost every hotel offers some type of Shuttle service and I too would be afraid to camp in a tent alone. Also you won't even be able to cool off or watch TV in a tent.

Not to start a war here, but I would never discourage someone from traveling alone, even tenting or backpacking!! One of my dreams after my boys are grown and gone is to take a year and go camping across the country visiting theme parks and roller coasters. Of course I'll be driving pulling my little trailer with my tent and other gear!

I wouldn't stay in an offsite hotel alone again without transportation. The transportation is less reliable, and in more remote locations.

Ft. Wilderness campground is much safer than many offsite hotels!!!

Thank you all very much for your help. I booked my holiday today. I went to my local travel agency and payed for airline tickets (American Airlines), fun in the sun pass and insurance. Afterwards I called Disney and booked my stay:
August 29 - September 12
1st night at All Star Movies
8 nights at Fort Wilderness with a tent
5 nights at a studio at Old Key West Resort.

I'm glad with this decision and I'm sure I will have fun. I might post some more questions as my holiday approaches, but I'll write a trip report when I come back.

Thanks again!

Have fun, European!! :D It looks like you made some great choices! You'll have a sampling of the resorts and fun doing so. I agree with clkelley, you're probably safer at FW than any off site property. Enjoy!! :D

If there is anyway to pack a small fan in your luggage I would do it. The have desktop size at walmart for about $8. fits good in a duffel bag. It makes for much a better sleep. We always plugged in the fan an brought it in the tent with us. it gave a small breeze and made enough noise to help block out the noise of the campground.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter