(tentative) QS and TS selection for our first trip.

v0mich01

Mouseketeer
Our first trip will be the week before Labor day(6 nights 7 days). It is my husband(t1 diabetic, eat low carbs, think meat and veggies) myself, and our 3 boys (5, 2, infant.) We will have the DDP(currently have the qsdp, but plan to change.) We have 6 day park hopper tickets. I've kinda grouped them by locations. The QS are ones that I think my husband could easily find a filling meal, but I'm up for suggestions.

I have space 220 on there, is this going to be a TS? and with Restaurantosaurus, is is QS or TS?

Seems like I have 1 too many TS, I'm thinking about dropping 50s prime time, this one seems like it'd be the hardest to find something for my husband to eat, and while the atmosphere seems fun, I think it may be lost on my kids.

Thoughts?

Magic kingdom
Columbia harbor house (QS)
Pecos bills (QS)
Cosmic Ray's (QS)

Epcot
Biergarten(TS)
Garden Grilll (TS) - character
Space 220

Animal kingdom
Flame tree BBQ (QS)
Tusker house (TS) - character
Restaurantosaurus (QS)

Hollywood studios
Fairfax Fare (QS) - I don't know much about this, but I think it has a rotisserie chicken meal
50s prime time (TS)

Resorts
O'Hana (TS)
Cape May (TS)

I believe Space 220 will not be on the dining plan. Restaurantosaurus is QS.

Overall it looks like a good list to me. Cosmic Ray’s in MK I would say is very average at best. I think Biergarten and Garden Grill are excellent choices for Epcot. Hollywood studios is a tricky one. I haven’t tried 50s Prime Time myself so I can’t really comment.

We love 50’s PTC. Also Cape May and Tusker House for breakfast. Columbia Harbor House is pretty good as well. Do not have experience with the others.

As a diabetic, I can make most any restaurant work but some are easier than others.
Biergarten is a great choice for low carb. Lots of meats and those amazing salads! The tomato salad is so good, I got the recipe and make it at home.
‘Ohana is terrific but I have to avoid the bread and desert obviously, limit the salad dressing (sweeter than you would imagine) and skip the noodles. I limit myself to one or two potstickers since I love them so. I make up for it with all the meats and veggies.
At Fairfax, I think I got a pulled pork salad. My family got a rice bowl and loved it.

As a diabetic, I can make most any restaurant work but some are easier than others.
Biergarten is a great choice for low carb. Lots of meats and those amazing salads! The tomato salad is so good, I got the recipe and make it at home.
‘Ohana is terrific but I have to avoid the bread and desert obviously, limit the salad dressing (sweeter than you would imagine) and skip the noodles. I limit myself to one or two potstickers since I love them so. I make up for it with all the meats and veggies.
At Fairfax, I think I got a pulled pork salad. My family got a rice bowl and loved it.

Lots of great tips! At Ohana did you ask for the meat any differently? Is it marinated in anything sweet? Do you put your dietary needs on every reservation? I've heard they're very accommodating, but my husband doesn't like to make a fuss about things. But I think this is very normal and chefs are used to it? I'd much rather have every part of the meal something he will enjoy, as opposed to paying for sides and such that he won't touch.
Good choices. Space 220 is TS and should definitely be on the dining plan.

I think it should too, but a quick google search shows it's not currently :(

At HS we like Mama Melrose’s and there is a very good steak we always get. Comes with a small scoop of Mac&Cheese.
Definitely taking a peak at their menu right now. I love a good steak! ooooo! even better! It's italian, with a good steak!

Last edited:

Space 220 is not open yet, no one knows if it will be or not on the DDP but since most of the restaurants in Epcot accept the plan (I think Takumi-Tei is the only one that doesn't) it is a good bet that they will too.

Space 220 is not open yet, no one knows if it will be or not on the DDP but since most of the restaurants in Epcot accept the plan (I think Takumi-Tei is the only one that doesn't) it is a good bet that they will too.

I'll hold out hope. I think I'm 1 table service over my allotment, so I'll be looking at prices and choosing one to pay for out of pocket, or just dropping one. I haven't decided yet. 🤷‍♀️

I would also like to point out that depending on where you are staying, some of the resorts have great food. If you are planning a mid-day break (given the time of year) and age of kids you may want to explore the resorts dining choices too. We usually do a mix, either eating an early dinner before returning to the parks or when we return in the evening.

Magic kingdom
Columbia harbor house (QS)--we love it, but seafood heavy (a good bit is fried)
Pecos bills (QS)-we love it--especially the toppings bar, but think quick crowded slightly above fast food
Cosmic Ray's QS-not our favorite, but I hear many say their kids love it (use mobile order it gets crowded)

Epcot
Biergarten(TS)-we do not go because our son does not like the "noise" level
Garden Grilll (TS) - character-our FAVORITE breakfast--we usually get on Soarin without fast passes as soon as it opens--no wait (remember it is all you can eat even though they bring it to the table family style)
Space 220--my fingers are cross, there is a watch thread on here too

Animal kingdom--We normally only get snacks here and eat at the resorts this day (good luck!)
Flame tree BBQ (QS)
Restaurantosaurus (QS)

Hollywood studios-We normally only get snacks here and eat at the resorts this day (good luck!)
Fairfax Fare (QS) - I don't know much about this, but I think it has a rotisserie chicken meal
50s prime time (TS)

Resorts
O'Hana (TS)--everyone raves, we did not have a good breakfast meal, service and characters were good.
Cape May (TS)-still have not been, it's on our list.

I would also like to point out that depending on where you are staying, some of the resorts have great food. If you are planning a mid-day break (given the time of year) and age of kids you may want to explore the resorts dining choices too. We usually do a mix, either eating an early dinner before returning to the parks or when we return in the evening.

Magic kingdom
Columbia harbor house (QS)--we love it, but seafood heavy (a good bit is fried)
Pecos bills (QS)-we love it--especially the toppings bar, but think quick crowded slightly above fast food
Cosmic Ray's QS-not our favorite, but I hear many say their kids love it (use mobile order it gets crowded)

Epcot
Biergarten(TS)-we do not go because our son does not like the "noise" level
Garden Grilll (TS) - character-our FAVORITE breakfast--we usually get on Soarin without fast passes as soon as it opens--no wait (remember it is all you can eat even though they bring it to the table family style)
Space 220--my fingers are cross, there is a watch thread on here too

Animal kingdom--We normally only get snacks here and eat at the resorts this day (good luck!)
Flame tree BBQ (QS)
Restaurantosaurus (QS)

Hollywood studios-We normally only get snacks here and eat at the resorts this day (good luck!)
50s prime time (TS)

Resorts
O'Hana (TS)--everyone raves, we did not have a good breakfast meal, service and characters were good.
Cape May (TS)-still have not been, it's on our list.

We're staying at all star music, family suite. I think most of our quick service choices are flexible. If the kids are melting down (we're traveling the week before labor day, so maybe literally 😂) we can always can it and go to the resort. I want to have a plan, but also realize with the heat, ages of our kids, and hubby's blood sugar needs, we're going to have to be super flexible.

Last edited:
We're starting at all star music, family suite. I think most of our quick service choices are flexible. If the kids are melting down (we're traveling the week before labor day, so maybe literally 😂) we can always can it and go to the resort. I want to have a plan, but also realize with the heat, ages of our kids, and hubby's blood sugar needs, we're going to have to be super flexible.

Think about the resorts that are easily accessible to your park that day too. For example, from MK you can easily ride the monorail to Contemporary, Poly, or Grand Floridian. I found that the monorail ride calmed my child when he was younger then everyone was ready to eat :)

Then you can take the bus from that resort to TTC and head back to your resort for a break.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter