• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Teppan Edo solo question

Starr_DJ

Mouseketeer
I am looking to try a new restaurant during my upcoming solo trip. I am wondering what Teppan Edo is like when dining solo? I believe you are seated in a group setting? I am very quiet and usually do not strike up conversations with others unless they talk to me first. I prefer to read my book while eating. Will it be awkward for me being there by myself? I'd love to hear what others have experienced here. Thanks!

I am also a quiet (shy) person. I dined solo there last August. Was sat with a family of 5 and a couple to fill the table of 8. I made sure I sat at the end of the table were there are 2 seats and was next to the mom of the family. The chef is good at keeping everyone ingaged so no need to really talk but the mom next to me was nice and we has some simple small talk about our day and about their trip to WDW. I found the food just ok. Could have used more seasoning. Our local place is a lot better for about the same price.

I assume you want the truth. Based on my experience there, it would be the LAST place I'd recommend. When I was there, I got seated next to a teenaged girl who was, let's just say, not in the mood to talk. And since it's kin At the end of the meal, we were both relieved to leave. I've got another post on this page, about solo dining, with other recommendations. But this is my only "No".

I am looking to try a new restaurant during my upcoming solo trip. I am wondering what Teppan Edo is like when dining solo? I believe you are seated in a group setting? I am very quiet and usually do not strike up conversations with others unless they talk to me first. I prefer to read my book while eating. Will it be awkward for me being there by myself? I'd love to hear what others have experienced here. Thanks!
I've been to Teppan Edo (not solo), but I was more concerned about the lackluster food than anything else. lol I don't see a problem with going solo though. You don't have to talk to the others seated at your table. It's not a requirement. :)

I've been to Teppan Edo solo a few times. I usually have my Kindle with me. Sometimes I have just read during the non-cooking-show times and other times I've made small talk with my tablemates. I haven't felt any downtime or negative pressure. I really enjoy the food and the service :)

Now that I think of it, it was my expectations, the "communal dining is fun and it gives you someone to talk to." If I'd treated it like any other dining solo and brought my Kindle (as I usually do-I love to read), it would have been fine.

Starr_DJ:
I am wondering what Teppan Edo is like when dining solo? I believe you are seated in a group setting? I am very quiet and usually do not strike up conversations with others unless they talk to me first. I prefer to read my book while eating. Will it be awkward for me being there by myself? I'd love to hear what others have experienced here.

I went solo last month and I really enjoyed it. Like you, I usually take a book when eating and don't normally start conversations but the way you're grouped around the table means you have the option of focusing on the show (which I did for the most part) or if you're feeling braver, it's easy to have a little exchange with your neighbour (which was easy for me because I was between a birthday group and a group of fellow Brits - easy to start a conversation from that). The one thing you can't do is read - there isn't really enough room around the table (and space on the table gets cramped pretty quickly).

I thought the food was pretty good - very filling - and it was just a fun experience - especially if you've never done it before.

My verdict would be to go for it - especially if you like Japanese food.

1F

This is actual a good choice for you. Every time I've been their the chef always makes conversation with everyone and does some entertaining. Also it is fun to sit and listen as well. The guests or the chef always has an interesting story.

I think it can depend on where you are seated. There are times it's been really nice to be there and having very friendly people to talk with and a few times I've been near a teenager that didn't want to talk to a stranger or very self absorbed.

You stated you would like to read and I think most people won't start a conversation with you if your head is in the book. I think it largely depends on you for having a conversation or not with others.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter