Teppanyaki and Dining plan

puddleduck

DIS Veteran
What do you get at Teppanyaki when you are on the dining plan. For example, at Benihana's when you order a meal you get a salad, rice, soup, shrimp, zuchini and the meat that you order (everything from chicken to steak and lobster combo). If you are on the dining plan what comes with the meal at Teppanyaki? Thanks.

oh, great question....this is one of our restaurants next trip, and would love to know too!

I have not participated in the dining plan, so I don't know. However I have eaten at Teppanyaki, and it is highly overrated. The worst Japanese steakhouse meal I've ever had (and I've eaten at many different ones).

Teppanaki is a must do on our vacations. Since my kids enjoy this type of food, it is a plus!

We will also be doing the dining plan here, and I already have my ADR for June, would love to know if there are any limitations. My husband would probably want to try the lobster is available.

Also, can we get California Rolls as an Appetizer? Anyone?

Teppanyaki is VERY good! We eat there on every trip.

With the dining plan we were allowed a salad as appitizer, any meal (even combos)- they come w/meat, rice, vegetables, noodles. And for dessert we were allowed ice cream or some ginger cake I think.

Ilovestitch said:
Teppanyaki is VERY good! We eat there on every trip.

With the dining plan we were allowed a salad as appitizer, any meal (even combos)- they come w/meat, rice, vegetables, noodles. And for dessert we were allowed ice cream or some ginger cake I think.
What are the odds of getting a table just for a family of three during lunch upon the opening hours, because I understand that the Teppanyaki Dining area tables are primarily for groups of eight people.

Last time I was there, they basically were having every party less than six share a hibachi with another party.

Last year on the dining plan we were able to get sushi as an appetizer. DH and DS got the sampler plates, which were the most expensive. I don't have my receipts anymore. The dinner came with the salad. (I think there was a soup, too, but can't remember--must not have been good, if there was one) I had the lobster, shrimp and scallops meal. I don't know what everyone else ordered. Dessert choices are limited. We chose orange sherbert.
Actually, it was the most expensive meal for our 1 TS credit dining plan.
I specifically remember being asked if we were on the reg. dining plan or the one that is more inclusive (I have NO memory this morning). So, the more inclusive may get something in addition.
My kids love Japanese steakhouses. I thought the food was pretty good. The "show" was OK compared to others. It was shorter with less of the "razzle dazzle" than what you get a normal Japanese steakhouse. Still, there were some flames and knife spinning and tossing, which entertained the kids. The "chef?" just wasn't as engaged and interactive with the table as some other places I have been.
Worth a TS credit, my vote is yes.

As far as sharing a table/hibachi--we went for a very early dinner and had no waiting time, but did share a hibachi with another family. However, this has been the case for every Japanese steakhouse I have ever been to when we don't have a large party.

rodkenrich said:
What are the odds of getting a table just for a family of three during lunch upon the opening hours, because I understand that the Teppanyaki Dining area tables are primarily for groups of eight people.

I've had lunch there several times and we are always paired up. Sometimes I've been there, they wait til they have a total of 7 or 8 and then seat everyone together. Other times, we've been seated at a table that already had people sitting at it.

Its fine sitting with other people though, its almost like you are sitting at a bar. We always make some small talk but don't feel like you are going to have to be best friends w/the people you sit with :rotfl2:

Ilovestitch said:
I've had lunch there several times and we are always paired up. Sometimes I've been there, they wait til they have a total of 7 or 8 and then seat everyone together. Other times, we've been seated at a table that already had people sitting at it.

Its fine sitting with other people though, its almost like you are sitting at a bar. We always make some small talk but don't feel like you are going to have to be best friends w/the people you sit with :rotfl2:
Thanks for the insight. :thumbsup2

I printed out the list of resturants from the Disney Dining plan webpage to help my family pick out resturants for the dinners. No where does it list this resturant. What gives? Dis boarders are saying they have eaten there but the menu is limited. I am confused....is this resturant part of the dining plan or not?. I would hate to get there and find out the dining plan is not accepted.

It is listed under MITSUKOSHI TEPPANYAKI

Not Teppanyaki, I had the same problem a while ago!

this question has come up before as many of us were confused also :teeth: . It seems to usually be referred to by its nickname rather than the full name. To add to the confusion, Allears and some other sites also alphabetize it by Teppanyaki. Why be formal.

It is one TS and the only known exclusions are the lobster for dinner and the appetizer is limited to soup or salad only. Enjoy it!

Heidi

I believe Mitsukoshi is a corporate name, while Teppanyaki is the name of the restaurant. It's like "Romano's Macaroni Grill" and "Landry's Rainforest Cafe".

MCazer said:
It is listed under MITSUKOSHI TEPPANYAKI

Not Teppanyaki, I had the same problem a while ago!

LOL well DUH!! Thanks for clearing that up for me. I was going straight to the T's in the alphabet!

bicker said:
I believe Mitsukoshi is a corporate name, while Teppanyaki is the name of the restaurant. It's like "Romano's Macaroni Grill" and "Landry's Rainforest Cafe".

Bicker has the right idea. Teppanyaki is the style of cooking. It is the equivalent of saying "steakhouse" or "mongolian grill". Teppan means an iron plate or a steel sheet, and yaki, stir-fried food or stir-frying- hence, 'food stir-fried on an iron plate'. The Mitsukoshi is the way to identify it from other Teppanyaki. There are lots of Teppanyaki restaurants with the corporate or chef name in front. (I watched that on the Food Network the other night :thumbsup2 )

Heidi

And the fact that the department store downstairs from Teppanyaki is callled the Mitsukoshi Department Store was a dead give-away. :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter