• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Teppen edo- picky kid

kmn952

Mouseketeer
Just wondering, since teppen Edo isn’t owned by Disney, do they offer alternate child options? More specifically chicken fingers or macaroni and cheese. If not, can I bring some in?

They don't have anything like that. You *might* be able to order the chicken tempura nuggets from Tokyo Dining if they're open. It would be worth a try but you should also have a back up plan. What about the children's chicken and veggies? Your son might think it was cool to see it made in front of him. Or, would he eat the noodles and rice? Back when my vegetarian DD was little I would order her a bowl of rice and an order of tamago (egg) sushi.

I doubt any of the restaurants in the Japan Pavilion offer mac and cheese however chicken breast, noodles, rice and vegetables is on the children’s menu. No idea if you can bring any with you.

My kid is a super picky eater, but she likes shrimp (among other things, obviously). She loved Teppan Edo when she was 10 (2 years ago). She wouldn’t eat the miso soup or the noodles, but she LOVED the show, and requested it again this time. You might be surprised if you try it, that your kids like it too!

But no, there’s no North America kids meal
Options. The kids meals are just slightly smaller versions of the adult meals.

One of my kids eats NOTHING there. The rest of us love it, so I pay for his plate and feed him an uncrustable.
You know it’s funny. I think of Teppan Edo as the “Home of the Picky People“ where there’s lots of starches, veggies, protein, and familiar seasonings. My hats off to those who deal with it; I ’d go crazy.

One of my kids eats NOTHING there. The rest of us love it, so I pay for his plate and feed him an uncrustable.
I did that too at some TS restaurants. We always carried a PB&J in a Tupperware sandwich container for my DD. We almost always found her *something* to eat (like rice at Teppan Edo) but we always tipped on the whole amount of the meal for her.

I would also pick another restaurant. While some people have different comfort levels bringing in their own outside food, that is not anything I would ever do.
Meh. I couldn't be held hostage to my DD's "picky" vegetarian/carbitarian eating habits. We tried to go to places where she would eat when she but that didn't always work out, so that's why we kept a PB&J on hand until she was 5 or 6. We were at 50's Prime Time once and there was NOTHING she would eat (she decided she didn't like Disney's mac and cheese) so we asked if they could make her a grilled cheese and we were told "no", so out came the PB&J and we bought her a milkshake. We spent money on our meals, we spend money on sides that she ate and we tipped appropriately. She's 21 years old now she's still a vegetarian who now eats vegetables :laughing: and when she joins us at WDW we make sure that there is something on the menu that she will eat. She now loves vegetarian teppanyaki.

those are junk options,not child options.

they have plenty of healthy options for a simpler palate.
You mean mac and cheese and chicken nuggets are junk food? Well they can be and most of the places that serve them regularly at WDW are, but the food is not “junk“ by ingredients merely design.

Complete agreement with your second statement.

I would also pick another restaurant. While some people have different comfort levels bringing in their own outside food, that is not anything I would ever do.
In normal circumstances, no, but Disney is different. We were at Disneyland when my DS was about 3 or 4 and had reservations at Blue Bayou. I had looked at the menu ahead of time and knew there was nothing my picky eater would eat. I ran over to a QS location before we went in and grabbed a kids meal for him that I knew he liked. I felt a little bad, but the waiter didn’t say anything and we ordered plenty of other food. I wasn’t going to miss eating at a restaurant that I wanted to try because of kid who was against trying new foods.

You mean mac and cheese and chicken nuggets are junk food? Well they can be and most of the places that serve them regularly at WDW are, but the food is not “junk“ by ingredients merely design.

Let's call a spade a spade. We're talking about Disney options here, not scratch cooking. Their versions are junk, and that's what people are comfortable putting into their kids' mouths. At some point these kids are going to become obese, unhealthy teens, and by then it will likely be too late.

Let's call a spade a spade. We're talking about Disney options here, not scratch cooking. Their versions are junk, and that's what people are comfortable putting into their kids' mouths. At some point these kids are going to become obese, unhealthy teens, and by then it will likely be too late.
I can’t control what other people feed their children or themselves and gave up on trying. Just like I can’t control your use of the shovel analogy.

I had a super-picky child too, and had to hear many of the same kinds of comments being made here (I’d never be controlled by a child, I’d never allow such junk into my child’s body, etc.). You don’t know what you’d do until you lived 24/7 with that situation. And it may turn out that, like my DD, once they’re old enough to really express it, you find out the child has multiple GI issues (from one end to the other) that manifested as picky—because she knew or feared certain things would make her feel sick later. And my picky child didn’t turn out to be an obese teen—she was voted Most Athletic as a high school senior (four sport athlete) at 102 pounds. So I might suggest skipping judgment of other parents; turns out, you’ll do a lot of things for your child that you never thought you’d do.

Teppan Edo is definitely one of the "tougher" places to manage if you cannot find something on the menu to eat. I think if we're talking under 4, you can get away with bringing in snacks and feed them a real meal before or after everyone else eats.

My kiddo is firmly in the mac and cheese/hamburger palate right now but will still eat the steak at a hibachi place. Although her complaint was the kids version is sirloin and not filet 🙄

In normal circumstances, no, but Disney is different. We were at Disneyland when my DS was about 3 or 4 and had reservations at Blue Bayou. I had looked at the menu ahead of time and knew there was nothing my picky eater would eat. I ran over to a QS location before we went in and grabbed a kids meal for him that I knew he liked. I felt a little bad, but the waiter didn’t say anything and we ordered plenty of other food. I wasn’t going to miss eating at a restaurant that I wanted to try because of kid who was against trying new foods.

Not saying that you shouldn't do it, but why is Disney different?

This is pretty much the answer. It's not al la carte dining, you are paying by the seat, so the OP will have to pay for a child meal at Teppan Edo, whether they eat it or not. Then feel free to bring in an outside dish, it's nothing that WDW restaurant employees haven't seen before. Maybe the child will like some teriyaki chicken or steak and rice (most kids do), but they have that outside food just in case.

Not saying that you shouldn't do it, but why is Disney different?

I think the idea is that...yes, it is a faux pas (and just plan rude) to bring your child a Happy Meal to eat in a completely different restaurant. But inside the WDW bubble, it's all Disney food anyway. Opinions probably vary.

The OP is polite enough to ask what the options are and what the proper thing to do is in a non-Disney-managed restaurant like Teppan Edo, and got plenty of opinions either way but, ultimately, it's still in-park dining, and they are a little more liberal about outside food as long as it doesn't affect other customers. My kid is a pretty adventurous eater, if it says "octopus" on the menu, chances are he'll order it. But there are things he does not like, and I keep that in mind when making plans, even though he's now a teen (just like I plan around my wife's and my person tastes as well).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter