Termination from Disney College Program, Fears and Anxiety

powertower

Earning My Ears
I am about to start the adventure known as the DCP fall 2013. I am very excited! However i am concerned on some issues regarding termination.

I understand getting termed for breaking rules (drinking, drugs, guests over past 1am, attendance etc). What i dont understand is getting termed for obsecure reasons. and it is these obscure reasons that have me nervous to start my dcp.

Reasons such as

One cp went into a closet at work to get something and diddnt turn the light on, the manager saw him walk out and accused him of sleeping. The cp was termed.

Another cp was hugged by a guest, the manager saw it and the cp got termed.

getting termed for something your roommate did, they had a guest over past 1am, they were the ones who had alcohol. Things like that.

I plan on making the most out of my college program. I cannot wait to start this unbelievable experience! However, i understand it is a job and i will have to work long hours and many days out of the week but what i want to know is, is it really that easy to get termed? And is there any way to fight a termination if it is for a crazy reason? My biggest fear is getting down to orlando, stay there for a month and then get terminated for a something i diddnt do or diddnt mean to do.

I am about to start the adventure known as the DCP fall 2013. I am very excited! However i am concerned on some issues regarding termination.

I understand getting termed for breaking rules (drinking, drugs, guests over past 1am, attendance etc). What i dont understand is getting termed for obsecure reasons. and it is these obscure reasons that have me nervous to start my dcp.

Reasons such as

One cp went into a closet at work to get something and diddnt turn the light on, the manager saw him walk out and accused him of sleeping. The cp was termed.

getting termed for something your roommate did, they had a guest over past 1am, they were the ones who had alcohol. Things like that.

I plan on making the most out of my college program. I cannot wait to start this unbelievable experience! However, i understand it is a job and i will have to work long hours and many days out of the week but what i want to know is, is it really that easy to get termed? And is there any way to fight a termination if it is for a crazy reason? My biggest fear is getting down to orlando, stay there for a month and then get terminated for a something i diddnt do or diddnt mean to do.

A lot of these obscure termination stories that are circulating out there usually have parts that were left out. When it comes to housing, and your roommate is doing something they shouldn't, the best thing is to report it. Face it, your roommates are your co-workers, and this is the real world. If you feel they are jeopardizing your program, report it.

As for things work related, there are odd things that are against the rules. If you ever have the slightest question about something, ask your manager, not a co-worker, your manager. A lot of people get termed because they simply don't have the common sense to ask before doing something.

As with any employment, Disney gives warnings/coachings/discussions. If someone were fired for things that you listed above, then it's probably after warnings or other bad behavior and that was just the last straw.

I've heard some CPs do pretty ridiculous things at work, but at worst they've gotten a reprimand or in one case were fully recast. There are a lot of things that can get you fired on the spot (sleeping on the job would be one), but those things have to be proven or confessed. Simply walking in/out of a closet would not likely warrent instant termination - was he in there for 10+ minutes, did he tell anywhere where/what he was doing, did he just disappear and no one could find him... there are a lot of unknowns here.

As for what happens in housing - those are zero tolerance, if Housing kicks you out, then you're out of the program. Follow PP's advice and remove yourself from those potential situations.

Don't call in sick then go to the parks

under 21, no alcohol. 21+? go to a non wellness apt. Where alcohol in the apt is a non-issue.

No profanity.

Most of the "obscure" stories you hear aren't the person's first offense or they did something stupid. During DCP 2013, someone was stupid and jumped over The Commons' wall, they were termed. Follow the rules, report if your roomie has alcohol in the apartment, but other than that, they will give you warnings first. You aren't termed for the first offense, follow safety at work. These stories you are hearing are missing information and are being told the way they are to garner sympathy. People are termed regularly at Disney but it is usually because they don't take it seriously, it isn't the first offense and they have already done things to warrant termination. Play smart, work hard and you'll be fine.

Other things that should probably be avoided:
-Don't find a way to call in 25 times in a 36 day span
-Don't call in for a shift to go to the CP formal, get drunk when you're under 21, go skinny dipping in the pool at Coronado and then argue with security when they tell you not to do that
-Don't walk away from your position because you couldn't get an ER and leave a note asking your managers to not fire you
-Don't crash company vehicles
-Don't run a brothel out of your CP apartment
-Don't catch a duck outside your apartment, kill it and cook it for dinner

-Don't find a way to call in 25 times in a 36 day span
-Don't call in for a shift to go to the CP formal, get drunk when you're under 21, go skinny dipping in the pool at Coronado and then argue with security when they tell you not to do that
-Don't walk away from your position because you couldn't get an ER and leave a note asking your managers to not fire you
-Don't crash company vehicles
-Don't run a brothel out of your CP apartment

Hah...I remember hearing those stories back in 2010...

Hah...I remember hearing those stories back in 2010...

#1, and 2 were both CPs that worked in my area. #3 was a part timer, and #4 was a full timer that I worked with. #5 was some ICPs that worked with a friend, and #6 is a legend that has been passed down for years.

Reasons such as

Keep in mind that about 95% of what you "hear" is really not true or only part of the story. I am amazed at the stories I "hear" about CPs being terminated for "crazy" or "obscure" reasons. As others have mentioned, Disney gives fair warning/discussions regarding infractions and do so before a termination is given. When someone is terminated, it is usually after several warnings/discussions/reprimands etc. Berlioz mentioned sleeping on the job as a cause for immediate termination, and I believe stealing is also another.

My advice is to follow all the rules. If you are given a warning or reprimand, head that warning. If you are called in for a discussion, go in and find out what was the cause and avoid it in the future.

#1, and 2 were both CPs that worked in my area. #3 was a part timer, and #4 was a full timer that I worked with. #5 was some ICPs that worked with a friend, and #6 is a legend that has been passed down for years.
:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl::rotfl::lmao::lmao:

And it really all depends on your managers... If you have cool managers like I did, nothing will happen. I called out all the time and was pretty much a crazy-whining-jokester and I think I left there with one reprimand from calling out. Which I should've had way more but they loved me so I never got in trouble. And sometimes when you call out and stuff they don't even put it in the computer so you won't get a point for it. That's what happened with me, my managers weren't up on putting things in the computer because I think they just didn't care that much.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

These are all winners, and sadly, I'm sure you have posted them because they've *all* been done before. (I was in the Marine Corps for 21 years. I have SEEN some stupidity!) But I have to say - the duck statement piques my interest.

And it really all depends on your managers... If you have cool managers like I did, nothing will happen. I called out all the time and was pretty much a crazy-whining-jokester and I think I left there with one reprimand from calling out. Which I should've had way more but they loved me so I never got in trouble. And sometimes when you call out and stuff they don't even put it in the computer so you won't get a point for it. That's what happened with me, my managers weren't up on putting things in the computer because I think they just didn't care that much.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I'm not sure how I feel about this. I wouldn't classify your managers as "cool," rather, sorry excuses for a leaders. Sounds like you got lucky, if you had a manager that actually followed the rules, you would have been termed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter