Terra Nova Guy and the Raiders of the Lost Park - an August 2018 TR *COMPLETE* 4/28

I haven't been around the boards much at all, so I was a bit behind! Catching up now!

Soon, alarms went off, showers were had, things were buffed, polished, pruned, primped, primed, crimped, and curled, most of which was done using numerous bottles and utensils that I frankly do not understand. Ladies, I’m not trying to be mean, because you all look fabulous doing your thing, but wow, y’all go through a big production to look the way you do. Me on the other hand, I showered, ran my fingers through my hair (comb, who needs a comb?), possibly shaved, was dressed and ready to go…or at least wait.

Haha, this made me laugh, and realize what a boy I am! I never wear makeup, but about once a year I'll actually put some on for work, and it's usually met with questions of "are you ok today Fallon? You look different".

Would we make rope drop? Nope. We arrived at Magic Kingdom at 8:30am, a half hour after rope drop.

That is still pretty impressive! I have such a hard time dragging my butt out of bed in the mornings!

mk_entr_20180818_412981648340-jpg.353337

Great family picture! But you're missing your ears?

As we started walking up Main Street, I couldn’t help putting my arm around Katie (because she’s my baby and will still put up with that) and taking in that moment. I have to confess that…well…let’s just say Main Street got a little dusty that morning (it’s a DISDads thing, you’ll figure it out).

Aww! This is adorable! I think I'm turning my Dad into a DisDad, he spent a week at WDW with us in January for our wedding, and it didn't take much convincing for him to get excited about another week in the World in December of this year with my husband and I haha.

After our stroll up Main Street, it was time to get to the rides! There was so much I wanted to do, so of course our first ride had to be…(drum roll please)…it’s a small world. I bet you didn’t see that one coming! I should probably explain.

Did not see that one coming!

I mean, see the cute look on her face when she saw the castle for the first time?

img_7397-jpg.353340

This is so precious!

We were feeling a bit hungry after this but it was too early for lunch, so we headed to Sleepy Hollow. We shared two fresh fruit and Nutella waffles. We enjoyed them, and FYI a really good use of a snack credit.

img_0763-jpg.353349

Ok, I really need to make these a priority next time! I've always wanted to try them, and we just never seem to make it there!

Up first was Cinderella, who (if I’m being honest) was a little boring, but nice enough.

I’m glad I’m not the only one! I always find Cinderella so boring! I’m definitely more of a fan of the new-age princesses who are full of personality.

Great picture!

I thought Carousel of Progress would be a nice break, and the fact that the girls still had their slushes was fortunately not an issue, they could keep them during the show. Katie had never done CoP and the rest of us hadn’t done it since 2008. I enjoyed it, and I think Katie did too.

I also love COP! Such a great place to rest your feet for a few minutes

After, we made our way out to the bus back to ASMu. Time to get out of the heat!

I’ve only been to WDW when it’s cold, so I can’t imagine the heat there in August. It was probably a good idea to get out of the park for a few hours! It sounds like you guys had a fantastic, slow-paced morning!

August 18, 2018 – Day 1, Part 1 – Main Street is dusty today

Excitement woke me early on our first morning. The same didn’t quite hold true for the girls. Not that they weren’t excited, but they tend to enjoy sleeping in. They had been informed the night before that Magic Kingdom opened at 8:00am and I would like to be there for rope drop.
I think the key phrase is "I would like". :lmao:

I showered, ran my fingers through my hair (comb, who needs a comb?)
We don't need no stinkin' comb!

Katie and I popped over to the Intermission food court during the beatification process to fill our mugs for breakfast. On the way, we took our first official Disney selfie by the pool.
Cool pic!!

Finally, we were ready for our Vogue magazine cover shoot…err, I mean our morning at Magic Kingdom. We left the room, looked at our rental car…and walked the other way. So, we had rented a car this trip, actually the first time I had a car when staying on site. Most of the trip would be on site, but we wanted the freedom to go off site for shopping (yes, I know taxis and Uber exist). We also wanted to see if the convenience was worth the price of the rental, since our experience with Disney buses has been hit or miss.
I like having a car for when I need to go to another resort for dinner/event. Having to take a bus to a park or DTD and then catching another to a different resort is a royal pain. I really really despise the money grab that is called paying for parking to make us more consistent with other hotels, but having a car is totally worth it to me.

Would we make rope drop? Nope. We arrived at Magic Kingdom at 8:30am, a half hour after rope drop. But, I
Nailed it!

Then, after a long four year wait, we finally left today and entered a world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy. It had been so long, it honestly felt like a bit of a dream to me. As we started walking up Main Street, I couldn’t help putting my arm around Katie (because she’s my baby and will still put up with that) and taking in that moment. I have to confess that…well…let’s just say Main Street got a little dusty that morning (it’s a DISDads thing, you’ll figure it out).
And as a fellow DISdad, I have absolutely no clue what you're talking about. Hasn't happened to me in oh, maybe 3 days now.

Let me take you back to 2010, it was Katie’s first trip so we wanted her grand entrance to the world of Disney to be special and perfect (like everything, right?). I mean, see the cute look on her face when she saw the castle for the first time?

View attachment 353340
Amazing picture. Gee thanks, there went the 3 days I had managed. Darn you!

(Yes, I really did capture the moment when she first saw the castle) After that we were determined to make up for Brianna’s first ride. Shoot, OK, we have to rewind a bit more…to 2008 (this is the problem when you have no previous trip reports). During Brianna’s first trip in 2008 (Katie was only a few months old, so being mean parents, we left her home with Grandma & Grandad), we thought Akershus breakfast was a great way to start our first ever morning at Disney. And it was. Except I also thought – oh man, I want to do Test Track after! Well, Brianna being 8 years old and having no idea what a ride was, got a little bit freaked out by it and spent most of the ride with her head buried in her hands.

View attachment 353341
Hmmm...didn't consider that possibility. PR was 7 when we went and loved everything. Maybe having a dad who drives fast made her immune. ;)

(Wow…I miss the old Test Track. I also miss not having grey hair, but time does that to you)
Two words...Grecian formula! Just kidding...I too am grey, but I blame it on the kids.

So now it’s our tradition to ride ISAW as our very first ride, and usually at some point on our last day. I actually don’t mind it and on this morning it felt right. I was back at Disney and we have a great 10 days ahead of us. Plus, I think the drunk hippo is funny and I kind of like to groove to the South Pacific drum beat section.
I thought I liked you, but IASW??? Nope.
Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Oh dear…over 1100 words and I’ve only told you about one ride…is anyone still there? Oh, that’s what I thought.
You counted the words?

OK, I’ll get this thing moving, I promise.
That would be good. This snail's pace is killing me. Oh wait, it was me who is over a week behind. Never mind. Carry on. Nothing to see here.

Last edited:

Next Update Questions for fun:

1. We go swimming back at All-Star Music, in the guitar pool. Is this the only pool we swim in that afternoon?

2. We visit Toy Story Land for the first time. We have a fast pass for one ride – which one?

3. We also see Fantasmic! Is it the first show or second show?

1. I want to say yes, because pool hopping is less of a thing than park hopping, but....I'm going to say no, because at some point someone either went to a different pool or discovered there was another pool and you moved.

2. I'm going to go with SDD because it's the one everyone (well most folks) want in TSL and neither A SS or TSMM have much of a line now that those same folks are clamoring for SDD.

3. Since you got up really early for trying to rope drop at MK, I'm going to say first and then called it a day.

Now THAT would be an upgrade!
If I was really smart, I would have come back with "I heard they have a hotel here with a busted elevator" :p

Epcot tiers IMO are the worst, followed very closely by HS.
Yes, Epcot was even more of a struggle with the FP. Spoiler for later in my report, but for the first time ever I didn't get a FP for Test Track. There just aren't enough days to burn FP on.

Good man. I knew I liked you for some reason.
DISDads have to stick together in the battle against the green stuff

Or just broken? That's annoying.
It was turned on every morning and evening, just not in the middle of the day. Very strange, and it would have been nice since the pool has nothing else (no water slides at values, or other water features)

Wait...what? I'm...I'm real! This is the best day of my life!
Yes Pinocchio, you are a real boy.

No idea what you're talking about.
I had fun riding that Alien Swirling Saucer :rolleyes1

I thought the Disney projection show was kind of boring, but I loved the Star Wars one. I think it has to do with giant pillars of fire.
Anything is better with a pillar of fire. Almost as good as an exploding helicopter.

Uh...Devine? I have to admit, I never pay attention to the characters.
No characters...dude, you would not make the grade on a vacation with my family. I like the character meets, but a little less of them and more rides would be OK too...

And I had no idea they had a food truck anywhere.
Maybe I should have said a food booth? The little kiosks (in AK a couple are actual trucks) on the side of the walkway.

Great family picture! But you're missing your ears?
Hehe...Rapunzel told me the same thing. Do guys wear ears? Other than a hat type ear? I don't know if ever seen it. Mind you, I wouldn't really care that much. I actually have a Darth Vader-Mickey ear helmet (back when they used to do that sort of thing), but no way was I wearing it in the August heat.

I think the key phrase is "I would like". :lmao:
With three ladies getting ready, that's always the key phrase!

I really really despise the money grab that is called paying for parking to make us more consistent with other hotels, but having a car is totally worth it to me.
I wasn't happy about the parking fee either. Disney hotels are already priced higher than others. But I decided to swallow it and see if I liked having a car enough to justify it. Short answer: I think yes.

And as a fellow DISdad, I have absolutely no clue what you're talking about. Hasn't happened to me in oh, maybe 3 days now.
::yes::

I thought I liked you, but IASW??? Nope.
I know, I know.
I'm hoping I still get to keep my DDC membership :laughing:

You counted the words?
Well, I write it in Word, during coffee/lunch breaks at work - or else I would never get it done - so it had a word count automatically.

Hey there, Jeff :wave2:

When I posted an update today on my trippie, I noticed your name on another Trip Report and decided to check it out :cool1:

I'm glad I did! Very entertaining and fun to read about someone else's experience during the same time that we went. :thumbsup2

You have a beautiful family and I love your sense of humour! You remind me a lot of myself :p :rotfl2:

You were right about the similarities in our trip planning, so far it looks like we did a lot of the same things! And also similar, our last trip together was 2013 so everything that was new to you was also new to us.

Looking forward to reading the rest of your first (and not last, I hope) trip report popcorn:: :banana:

Looking forward to reading the rest of your first (and not last, I hope) trip report popcorn:: :banana:
Thanks for joining in! I really hope it isn't my last report either!
I'm enjoying writing my report, it's nice to re-live the trip.

Your TR is entertaining, including all the comments from everyone.

I am going to guess that you see Rafiki in AK
Flame Tree BBQ and for the food truck - not a clue.
FOP for the fastpass

So after scarfing down a massive foot long chill cheese dog, the next logical thing was to go swimming, right? Well, I could have passed. But Katie (who is the only real swimmer in the family) wanted to get in the pool, so off we went for a dip in the guitar pool (the main pool at ASMu).
If I ate a foot long hot dog I would need a nap but swimming sounds right for a pre-teen, lol!

I noted that the temperature on the dash said 114°F. It was a bit shocking on that first afternoon.
Not quite like summer on the Rock, right???

We spent a few minutes chatting and of course took the requisite photo to prove that we did actually meet. It was great having my first DISmeet, one that happened by a chance sighting, not once, but twice :)
Meghan is so great to meet up with!

it was more fun than I expected. The spinning is not a Puke Cups kind of spin, but rather a wider, gentler spin. The fun bit is the way it whips you around, so we all had a good laugh at that.
I liked it too and I'm not a spinny ride person.

We stayed put until the Star Wars fireworks started. The girls were not too enthusiastic about this, but they knew I wanted to see it, so they humoured me. Of course it’s more projection show than fireworks. But I enjoyed at all the same.
I stayed to watch this in August, definitely more projections than fireworks.

Next Update Questions for Fun:

1. Next day is Photopass Day so there are rare characters at each park. We start our day at Animal Kingdom. Who is the special character you can meet at AK? Do we meet that character?

2. We have lunch in the park before taking our afternoon break at the resort. Between the four of us, we get lunch at two places - at a QS restaurant and a food truck. What are they?

3. We visit Pandora and have a FP. For what ride? (I’m giving you a 50/50 chance here folks)

1. Scar
2. Yak and Yeti and Eight Spoon Cafe
3. Navi River

Not quite like summer on the Rock, right???
Hehe not quite! Although we did have a pretty good summer in July and August....after it snowed in June...ahem....

I stayed to watch this in August, definitely more projections than fireworks.
Yes, I had thought when it first started a couple years ago there were more fireworks. But I guess it's been cut back. Like Mark @Captain_Oblivious said, anything with giant pillars of fire is pretty good in my book though.

Hello sunshine, following along.

Go north, turn right. Got it.
No, no. Go left. If I go right I'd be in Scandinavia.
fettucine alfredo
When we went to Rome this year, we went to Ristorante Alfredo's where that particular dish was invented.
“Why, why are you attempting to move vertically at such an inappropriate hour?”
that's what....
Any idea what or who that could be?
John, who'd forgotten to pack sunscreen?
Carousel of Progress
Awesome attraction. One of the best.
I know who I am. Do you know who you are?
Does anyone really know?

Hello sunshine, following along.
Thanks Dan, great to have you along.

When we went to Rome this year, we went to Ristorante Alfredo's where that particular dish was invented.
Wow, must have been good. Italy is on my bucket list, no small part because of the food.

that's what....
:rotfl:You have no idea how badly I wanted to make a comment on my huge sausage for lunch at the ASMu food court. But then I remember this TR is more public and not the DDC....

I"m here, and just spent the morning catching up!

Your daughters are beautiful. How fun that one of them is a "friend" of Elsa…whatever that means :-)

I loved all your throwback pics. I like sticking those in my TRs sometimes too because when we first started going I didn't know a thing about trip reports…or digital photography for that matter!

I'll get more into this later in the report, but I do miss the Animation building, especially the drawing class.

Same :sad:

Can't wait to read more :P

Late to the party but here to read it all. Just finished the travel day and I, like you, have never had issues with Air Canada.

Looking forward to reading the rest.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter