Test Cruises from Port Canaveral

jrapps

DIS Veteran
Seems that on the unofficial RCL blog, there is an article that Royal just completed their health agreement with Port Canaveral and (once approved by FL) is ready to submit that to the CDC. This is the step just before applying for test cruises, indicating that is the route they intend to take.

I wonder if DCL is nearing the same milestone, or if they are intending to do something similar.

This fully vaccinated person volunteers as tribute for all DCL test cruises! :wave:
I still think once they figure out the if & when of a test cruise, they take an existing cruise and convert it to a test cruise. I can easily see them sending an email to everyone on a sailing telling them of a change and giving them 3 options

1 - Cancel and get a full refund
2 - Get a FCC equal to 125%
3 - Volunteer to be on the test cruise (18+ only, vaccine or health note required, etc). If you choose this option, your reservation will remain AND you get a 100% FCC or refund since they can't technically make money on the test cruise.

I still think once they figure out the if & when of a test cruise, they take an existing cruise and convert it to a test cruise. I can easily see them sending an email to everyone on a sailing telling them of a change and giving them 3 options

1 - Cancel and get a full refund
2 - Get a FCC equal to 125%
3 - Volunteer to be on the test cruise (18+ only, vaccine or health note required, etc). If you choose this option, your reservation will remain AND you get a 100% FCC or refund since they can't technically make money on the test cruise.

I see this as the way to go as well. You have your August sailings to do this with as of now.

I personally think cruise lines are going to forgo test cruises and just go along with the 98% crew vaccinated/95% passengers vaccinated... I mean if cruise lines released most of their crew members it’s easy enough for them to only hire back crew members willing to be vaccinated, so that would take care of the cruise lines end.... now just to the guests.... I am sure there are enough vaccinated people to make up 95% of most dates and unvaccinated can figure out dates that are available to them.

I personally think cruise lines are going to forgo test cruises and just go along with the 98% crew vaccinated/95% passengers vaccinated... I mean if cruise lines released most of their crew members it’s easy enough for them to only hire back crew members willing to be vaccinated, so that would take care of the cruise lines end.... now just to the guests.... I am sure there are enough vaccinated people to make up 95% of most dates and unvaccinated can figure out dates that are available to them.
I used to believe this was the plan for other cruise line, but I don't anymore. Carnival has publicly stated they won't require them, Royal has already signed an agreement with Port Canaveral and at least alluded to test cruises.

For DCL, it is even harder to imaging them going that route.

1) Unless the CDC revises their guidance to say that 95% of everyone 12+ must be vaccinated, then I don't see DCL choosing this route. To say only 5% of the ship can be kids under 12 does not play to their demographic.

2) As long as DCL intends to resume Dream & Fantasy cruises from Port Canaveral, the FL law against vaccine requirements can't simply be overlooked. Perhaps DCL decides to challenge it, who knows. But I see it at last forcing DCL to consider no vaccine requirement, or delaying until things get clearer.

2) As long as DCL intends to resume Dream & Fantasy cruises from Port Canaveral, the FL law against vaccine requirements can't simply be overlooked. Perhaps DCL decides to challenge it, who knows. But I see it at last forcing DCL to consider no vaccine requirement, or delaying until things get clearer.

The Whitehouse has said the ports are not managed by the state and such a law does not have jurisdiction. So supposedly this won't be an issue. But the other points are for sure true.

The Whitehouse has said the ports are not managed by the state and such a law does not have jurisdiction. So supposedly this won't be an issue. But the other points are for sure true.
Additionally a Federal Judge has ordered the CDC and the State of Florida into mediation to resolve the proof of vaccination ban that DeSantis issued, if FL refuses to go into mediation or they try to fight it, a judge could potentially vacate the order and the requirement that the CDC recommends for full vaccination for cruises could open the door for resumption and eliminate the need for the "test" cruises. We shall see who blinks first on this matter.

Additionally a Federal Judge has ordered the CDC and the State of Florida into mediation to resolve the proof of vaccination ban that DeSantis issued, if FL refuses to go into mediation or they try to fight it, a judge could potentially vacate the order and the requirement that the CDC recommends for full vaccination for cruises could open the door for resumption and eliminate the need for the "test" cruises. We shall see who blinks first on this matter.
This is not completely accurate. The lawsuit in question has absolutely nothing to do with the ban on vaccination proof. The state of Florida sued the CDC saying the entire CSO was unlawful and are trying to get it vacated. The hearing last week was on a preliminary injunction related to that, and the judge sent them to mediation. Now of course the subject of vaccination proof could come up in that mediation, but it doesn't have to and the lawsuit in question has absolutely nothing to do with it.

The only way that a court is going to rule on the legality of the Florida law is if somebody (CDC or cruise line) sues the state, or if cruise lines ignore it and the state sues the cruise line.

Carnival changed their tune real fast then.

Carnival's Alaska cruise starting late July will require passengers to "show proof that they have been vaccinated 14 days ahead of the cruise's start date."
Source: https://www.usatoday.com/story/trav...ne-resumes-alaska-cruise-bookings/5167889001/
Yeah, chock that one up to posts that don't age well! LOL. It only lasted a few hours before they proved me wrong.

I wonder how many cruise ports outside FL have to start before Desantis realizes he made a mistake picking this fight.

Because the test cruises are leaving from Canaveral, I really doubt Disney would open it up to regular guests. I think it would be more likely offered to DCL Cast and Crew/WDW Cast to get all the kinks ironed out before actually sailing with regular guests. It's a bummer of an opinion, but I'm not counting on it.

Latest Port Canaveral News (Alas for Royal, not Disney yet) on the RC Blog

The Florida Health Dept. told RCCL that they do not need the states approval for test cruises and can go straight to the CDC. This simplifies things, and speeds up Royal's ability to apply for test cruise approval.

So if/When DCL decides to do the same, perhaps this help speed things up for them as well.

Seems Royal also has the same approval from Port Everglades...so things are moving.

I believe that the CDC is making allowances for cruise lines that meet the CDC's 95%/98% mandate for vaccinations in order to bypass the Test Cruise requirement.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter