Texans think twice about taking your kids out of school for WDW..

I just took my kids out for almost 2 weeks to go to WDW. It was suppose to only be one, but with the death of my Father- in- law it was longer. I told the truth and they did not have a problem. I was told that they were allowed 10 unexcused absences. At that point I did not care what the school thought . My kids just lost thier Grand Father and I was not going to cancel a trip that they had been looking forward to for 6 months. They teachers have been very helpful in letting my children make up the work.

While granted i think it's a little overkill, i think some of us need to take a step back and take a deep breath.

These type laws aren't for the kids with straight a's whose parents care and spend time with them. THey are for the messes out there who are a wort on the rear of society. All the time, you can read about how our education stinks compared to europe, japan, wherever.

Unfortunately in this day and age you can't speak honestly and say 'this rule will only apply to all the rif-raf who dont bother.' So those of us who do care and try to raise our children the right way wind up penalized for the actions of the mess-ups.

I just found this board, and as a Texan whose 2 kids went to public school, found this interesting. The thing to remember is "unexcused". And is that up to the principal as to whether a DW trip is "unexcused"? A few years ago, it was-in our district anyways. We moved here from Massachusetts, and took our kids out of public school in both places for DW trips. Frankly, we were amazed (and pleased!) at how much easier it was to tell the school and get it excused here in Texas than in Massachusetts. I'd be interested to know if they're going to a state-wide policy on excused vs. unexcused absences. And BTW, as a teacher I know (but don't necessarily agree) that a lot of times these sports teams are on "school business" when they take long trips and therefore not even counted as absent!

What they are going to end up with is a court system overloaded with irate parents. I have a feeling the law isn't going to last long. If every parent stands up against this (I have a feeling every parent who travels with their younger ones would stand up against it) it will be absurd to the system. Our court system, jails, & foster care system is overcrowded as it is....can you even imagine prosecuting parents for spending family time & making NON LIFE THREATENING decisions for their own family?

When I was in high school I started working with dolphins and had some wonderful opportunties to advance my budding career...afterall, that is what high school is for right? It is to prepare you for your career and for life in college. I had the opportunity to attend a Marine Mammal Biology Conference in Galveston TX my senior year and my high school threatened to fail me because I would miss more than the allowed 5 days per semester. My dad was irate and the principal told my father it would be up to my individual teachers. Of course my science teachers were thrilled & said I could do a presentation to make up for my time lost. My other teachers (economy, english, etc.) really had no interest in my achievements & gave me work to make up while I was gone. I ended up going & not failing but had to go through hell & high water to do it. My school had programs for students who wanted to pursue trade skill type careers & they would leave school at noon daily to go to beauty school, automotive school, etc. I didn't see how the opportunities I had to advance my career early differed from those students who missed out on half their senior year to advance their careers. I'm still bitter about that experience and it is the main reason I would consider homeschooling my children. I truly believe that a child can learn as much if not more when their rear ends aren't glued to a desk. As long as parents make an effort to do some educational activities even DisneyWorld can be a vast learning experience.

But of course, this is just my humble opinion...a truant troublemaking gal. :D

Bridget
Mom to Moira (8/27/97)
Egghead #2 Due (7/11/02)

are we the only family that says I was sick or we had a conference we went too? none of the disney trips we have taken have ever been unexcused..but then i tihnk I might be unexcused b/c i didnt bring a note from the ortho(even though i left for an hour! never had to do that b4!)
my friends have all lied to get out of school to go get their licenses or go have some fun with their family.

like when we went to DL i was sick...oh-well....thats what we have always done...better than getting in trouble

I know you arent supposed to lie and stuff but the teachers hsouldnt care....I get all my work b4 we leave and make-up tests right after w/o them begging me.

Carrie-woah! thats harsh! every group misses days(Spanish Club goes to SA, band takes trips, teams leave school early) so it all goes around fair but we are allowed to make up things and Im all Honors Classes too...Im only taken out of school for DL trips(2 days) not wdw anymore...but we can make-up whatever and depending on the teacher whenever we can.

I just had to give another point of view here. As with every law, I truly believe there is a good reason for this one, unfortunately, it's being carried to extremes. These laws aren't just about money.

I'm a Jr/Sr. High special ed. teacher and I work with high risk kids. These students do not have mental handicaps, they have family handicaps. There is little to no family involvement. They skip school like you wouldn't believe. Hey, why not, there are no parents at home to get on their case. Skipping school has become a nationwide epidemic that even I wasn't aware of until I got this job in Sept. I live in a nice, quiet upper-middle class district and I was shocked to see what is going on right under my nose. You guys writing about these laws are obviously caring parents, but sadly there are way too many parents that aren't. They have no accountability for their children and severe measures of fines and protective services is the only thing that gets them out of the bars/gutters. Sadly, even these measures usually don't work. When a kid doesn't show up to school, we have a team that will show up at the kids homes and literally drag them out of bed to school. The funny thing is how great these kids are once they get to school and realize there are rules/boundaries and they are shown respect.

I'm not saying I agree with the law at all and if I wasn't a teacher, I'd be taking my kids out of school also, but I'm glad to see that someone is taking an interest in these kids lives. Unfortunately, there is no way to write a law for only a certain group of people, so it must encompass everyone.

I am in college studying to be a teacher in Texas... I had no idea things were like this. I went to grade and high school in Illinois. There, and unexcused absence was if you parents could not account for it. Meaning they didn't notify the school beforehand with a reason.

I totally understand the Texas law. They are trying keep kids who skip school in school. However, if a parent comes in and notifies the proper people what is going on, there is no reason that the school should not excuse the child. That child is obviously not "skipping school."

If I were a parent facing this, I would be mad as hell :mad: We are the taxpayers and the citizens. Laws are made to protect and serve us, not make us slaves to the lawmakers whims.

I am sorry, this may be very un-PC to say, but those parents who are responsible and take care of thier children should not be made to suffer because there are so many who don't.

Dallas-Lady - I absolutely agree - I'd be totally ticked off if I couldn't take my child out of school for any reason. I'm only playing devil's advocate here and letting people know that there is actually a good reason for these laws and unfortunately it has made life more difficult for 95% of the population. It would be nice if it was as simple as a parent calling to say their kids would be out. Unfortunately, it's not that easy. ALL of the parents of my students are more then happy to write a note that their children will be out. It's a lot easier then trying to drag them out of bed every morning, or find out where they spent the night and send them to school. Most of my students have been ordered to school by judges or else sent to detention and parents get fined. That's no deterent. Plus, I can't tell you how many forged doctors notes I've seen.

When we call the parents to find out where their child is, 90% of the time they will say "He's in bed and I'm not dealing with him. If you want him at school, you come get him." And we do.

It's so sad that a few rotten eggs have to spoil the fun for so many. Isn't it always that way.

I think there is another point to this law also. I did not realize how common it was to take kids out for a week or more at a time for vacation until I started reading the DIS. If only one or 2 studnets a yr were out for a couple of days then it really wouldn't disrupt the classroom. From reading many message here though it seems in some areas it is very common for at least 1/2 the calss to miss a week or more of school during the yr for vacations. some here have even said they take their children out for a weeks vacation 2-3 times a school yr. I think this makes it very hard on the teacher to keep the class up to speed. Personally I think it also sends a message to kids that playing is more important than their school work. I can see doing it once every few yrs for a week or less but not the 2 weeks a yr every yr that I often hear of.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter