• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Texas

Ok, today's numbers have changed. Still too high but not doubled. I showed DS so I wasn't hallucinating! They need to be more careful.

And some get mad if you are 12 feet away and not wearing one. It doesn't matter if you have asthma and have a difficult time with cloth masks. Nope they don't care if you are social distancing AND don't have the virus. It will be your selfish fault they are on a ventilator after contracting COVID. PERIOD. No if, ands or buts..

I am surprised that you wrote the bolded! The whole point of wearing a mask is because MANY people DON'T know if they have the virus or not!!!

It is so strange that some states are still in lockdown mode with a very cautious approach to slowly open. Then other states are just like, "we're open!" and are proceeding full throttle like the pandemic is over. I feel like the entire U.S. should have done the same thing instead of a state by state basis. Now some states are restricting other states from entering, and enforcing quarantines of out of staters, and it just feels messy. Could it have been done as a whole country instead of state by state?

The divide in this country makes it impossible right now. Heaven forbid if some states down south have to do something like the states up north!

And some get mad if you are 12 feet away and not wearing one. It doesn't matter if you have asthma and have a difficult time with cloth masks. Nope they don't care if you are social distancing AND don't have the virus. It will be your selfish fault they are on a ventilator after contracting COVID. PERIOD. No if, ands or buts..

If you can't wear a mask, how about a face shield? That way, at least you are redirecting your exhale downwards. You never know if you are a carrier of the virus unless you test for it every day, BTW, or have not left your house at all, living by yourself, for months.

I lady in my neighborhood was walking with her elderly mom in the early evening to get some exercise. A group of teenaged boys surrounded them and started pointing and mocking them for wearing masks. This is what we are dealing with in Texas. 50% of the population is still anti-mask and thinks this is a big joke. You are right, it is maddening.

I thought everyone and their grandmother in Texas carried? Why didn't the elderly mom pull out her pistol? (just kidding, of course, not what I want to have happen at all.) I would have called 911, mainly because they surrounded the women.

Why would they wear masks walking in the neighborhood? Are they unable to distance?

Sometimes you have to pass others coming the other way and you don't want to step into the street?

Why would they wear masks walking in the neighborhood? Are they unable to distance?
RETIRED SURGEON Sam Laucks, has this to say about wearing masks:
“OK, here’s my rant about masks:

I have spent the past 39 years working in the field of surgery. For a significant part of that time, I have worn a mask. I have worked with hundreds (probably thousands) of colleagues during those years, who have also worn masks. Not a single one us of became ill, passed out or died from lack of oxygen. Not a single one of us became ill, passed out or died from breathing too much carbon dioxide. Not a single one us of became ill, passed out or died from rebreathing a little of our own exhaled air. Let’s begin here by putting those scare tactics to rest!
(It is true that some people, with advanced lung diseases, may be so fragile that a mask could make their already-tenuous breathing more difficult. If your lungs are that bad, you probably shouldn’t be going out in public at the present time anyway; the consequences if you are exposed to Covid-19 would likely be devastating.)

“But”, you ask, “can’t viruses go right through the mask, because they are so small?” (“Masks keep viruses out just as well as a chain link fence keeps mosquitoes out,” some tell us.) It is true that individual virus particles can pass through the pores of a mask; however, viruses don’t move on their own. They do not fly across the room like a mosquito, wiggle through your mask like a worm, or fly up your nose like a gnat. The virus is essentially nothing more than a tiny blob of genetic material. Covid-19 travels in a CARRIER – the carrier is a fluid droplet- fluid droplets that you expel when you cough, sneeze, sing, laugh, talk or simply exhale. Most of your fluid droplets will be stopped from entering the air in the room if you are wearing a mask. Wearing a mask is a very efficient way to protect others if you are carrying the virus (even if you don’t know that you are infected). In addition, if someone else’s fluid droplets happen to land on your mask, many of them will not pass through. This gives the wearer some additional protection, too. But, the main reason to wear a mask is to PROTECT OTHERS. Even if you don’t care about yourself, wear your mask to protect your neighbors, co-workers and friends!

A mask is certainly not 100% protective. However, it appears that the severity of Covid-19 infection is at least partially “dose-dependent.” In other words, the more virus particles that enter your body, the sicker you are likely to become. Why not decrease that volume if you can? “What have you got to lose?!”

“But doesn’t a requirement or a request to wear a mask violate my constitutional rights?” You’re also not allowed to go into the grocery store if you are not wearing pants. You can’t yell “fire” in the Produce Department. You’re not allowed to urinate on the floor in the Frozen Food Section. Do you object to those restrictions? Rules, established for the common good, are component of a civilized society.

“But aren’t masks uncomfortable?” Some would say that underwear or shoes can be uncomfortable, but we still wear them. (Actually, being on a ventilator is pretty darned uncomfortable, too!) Are masks really so bad that you can’t tolerate them, even if they will help keep others healthy?

“But won’t people think I’m a snowflake or a wimp if I wear a mask?” I hope you have enough self-confidence to overcome that.

“But won’t I look stupid if I wear a mask?” I’ve decided not to dignify that question with an answer!! 📷
1f642.png
:)

“But I never get sick; I’m not worried.” Well, then, wear a mask for the sake of the rest of us who are not so perfect!
There is good evidence that masks make a real difference in diminishing the transmission of Covid-19. Please, for the sake of others (and for the sake of yourself), wear your mask when in public. It won’t kill you!

P.S. - And, by the way, please be sure that BOTH your nose and mouth are covered!
Recommendations around mask usage are confusing. The science isn't. Evidence shows that masks are extremely effective to slow the coronavirus and may be the best tool available right now to fight it.”
Thank you, Sam Laucks!!

I'm in New Mexico. We have Arizona on one side and Texas on the other. We're doomed. :rolleyes1

Maybe more of them will stay home this year and not travel to New Mexico. Of course, they should still send their money!

I was hoping things were getting better out on the Navajo reservation, but they are now concerned about a surge there. I know the governor was criticized for her stance on opening slow, but I am thankful for that.

The numbers here are scary but scrolling through local Facebook groups makes you realize why the numbers are so bad. So many aren’t taking this seriously at all. They think numbers are false and want to argue that masks are more harmful than helpful. I don’t leave the house but my husband does when necessary and said less than half of people are wearing masks. I’m still working from home but a coworker who has been back at the office tested positive today. I’m so glad I’m still home.

Unfortunately a lot of people lost faith and trust in leaders who were so insistent on safety and slowing the spread who then condoned or turned a blind eye to thousands of people out in the streets protesting.

It was a hypocrisy a lot of people were not willing to overlook, and I believe it led to people being much more casual with the whole social distancing and mask wearing. I even heard someone say “Welp...quarantine’s over!” in response to the whole situation.

I’m not saying it is right or wrong, but just that it could be a reason for the spikes.When people in leadership lose their credibility, people are going to be much less willing to go along with what they say.

I guess this is what happens when you spend 4 months ignoring science and live in a country with an individualistic culture where people haven't had to sacrifice for the greater good since WW2. Our response to COVID-19 has made me embarrassed to be an American - we are a selfish, entitled culture with an narcissistic, unempathetic, barely literate fool in charge of the country. We are getting everything we deserve right now, and the rest of the world is looking upon is with shame.

Be safe. Now is not the time to make a political statement about masks or any other safety measures. I’m in NJ and we’ve been there. Good luck.
It's not a political statement. I wear a mask when required and unable to socially distance.

The divide in this country makes it impossible right now. Heaven forbid if some states down south have to do something like the states up north!

If you can't wear a mask, how about a face shield? That way, at least you are redirecting your exhale downwards. You never know if you are a carrier of the virus unless you test for it every day, BTW, or have not left your house at all, living by yourself, for months.

I thought everyone and their grandmother in Texas carried? Why didn't the elderly mom pull out her pistol? (just kidding, of course, not what I want to have happen at all.) I would have called 911, mainly because they surrounded the women.

Sometimes you have to pass others coming the other way and you don't want to step into the street?
No need to wear a mask or shield if not required or socially distancing.

You live in Texas? What do you think about our Covid numbers?
I am less than thrilled to put it mildly. I wear a mask but as others have noted, lots do not. When we first opened up I think everyone was. Or most people I should say. In the last 2 weeks or so I’ve noticed it’s really dropped off. I got shouted down about it before when I said that I felt people were unnecessarily running around stores buying random stuff. Kids. Elderly.
it’s scary to think about the Fall.

Be safe. Now is not the time to make a political statement about masks or any other safety measures. I’m in NJ and we’ve been there. Good luck.
I agree. We know what happens when folks don't wear a mask and socially distance. It's not good.
Surely we can care for one another in such a simple way.
And if one type or brand of mask is bothersome, try another. They aren't all the same.

Required isn’t the issue. Using prudence and observation is. No one has said that masks will save you or that they are required 24/7. Take the time to see what may work. Use the knowledge amassed by scientists. Try to protect yourself, your family, and your neighbor. Ultimately, the goal is to protect ourselves and each other.

RETIRED SURGEON Sam Laucks, has this to say about wearing masks:
“OK, here’s my rant about masks:

I have spent the past 39 years working in the field of surgery. For a significant part of that time, I have worn a mask. I have worked with hundreds (probably thousands) of colleagues during those years, who have also worn masks. Not a single one us of became ill, passed out or died from lack of oxygen. Not a single one of us became ill, passed out or died from breathing too much carbon dioxide. Not a single one us of became ill, passed out or died from rebreathing a little of our own exhaled air. Let’s begin here by putting those scare tactics to rest!
(It is true that some people, with advanced lung diseases, may be so fragile that a mask could make their already-tenuous breathing more difficult. If your lungs are that bad, you probably shouldn’t be going out in public at the present time anyway; the consequences if you are exposed to Covid-19 would likely be devastating.)

“But”, you ask, “can’t viruses go right through the mask, because they are so small?” (“Masks keep viruses out just as well as a chain link fence keeps mosquitoes out,” some tell us.) It is true that individual virus particles can pass through the pores of a mask; however, viruses don’t move on their own. They do not fly across the room like a mosquito, wiggle through your mask like a worm, or fly up your nose like a gnat. The virus is essentially nothing more than a tiny blob of genetic material. Covid-19 travels in a CARRIER – the carrier is a fluid droplet- fluid droplets that you expel when you cough, sneeze, sing, laugh, talk or simply exhale. Most of your fluid droplets will be stopped from entering the air in the room if you are wearing a mask. Wearing a mask is a very efficient way to protect others if you are carrying the virus (even if you don’t know that you are infected). In addition, if someone else’s fluid droplets happen to land on your mask, many of them will not pass through. This gives the wearer some additional protection, too. But, the main reason to wear a mask is to PROTECT OTHERS. Even if you don’t care about yourself, wear your mask to protect your neighbors, co-workers and friends!

A mask is certainly not 100% protective. However, it appears that the severity of Covid-19 infection is at least partially “dose-dependent.” In other words, the more virus particles that enter your body, the sicker you are likely to become. Why not decrease that volume if you can? “What have you got to lose?!”

“But doesn’t a requirement or a request to wear a mask violate my constitutional rights?” You’re also not allowed to go into the grocery store if you are not wearing pants. You can’t yell “fire” in the Produce Department. You’re not allowed to urinate on the floor in the Frozen Food Section. Do you object to those restrictions? Rules, established for the common good, are component of a civilized society.

“But aren’t masks uncomfortable?” Some would say that underwear or shoes can be uncomfortable, but we still wear them. (Actually, being on a ventilator is pretty darned uncomfortable, too!) Are masks really so bad that you can’t tolerate them, even if they will help keep others healthy?

“But won’t people think I’m a snowflake or a wimp if I wear a mask?” I hope you have enough self-confidence to overcome that.

“But won’t I look stupid if I wear a mask?” I’ve decided not to dignify that question with an answer!! 📷
1f642.png
:)

“But I never get sick; I’m not worried.” Well, then, wear a mask for the sake of the rest of us who are not so perfect!
There is good evidence that masks make a real difference in diminishing the transmission of Covid-19. Please, for the sake of others (and for the sake of yourself), wear your mask when in public. It won’t kill you!

P.S. - And, by the way, please be sure that BOTH your nose and mouth are covered!
Recommendations around mask usage are confusing. The science isn't. Evidence shows that masks are extremely effective to slow the coronavirus and may be the best tool available right now to fight it.”
Thank you, Sam Laucks!!
I'm quite confident I can take a walk and not become infected. The science is on my side. ;)
I also believe I mentioned CLOTH masks not surgical... Believe it or not, there's a difference. Where did I say I would die or pass out from carbon dioxide? Maybe, you confused posters? :scratchin

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter