TGM, Unofficial Guide, touringplans.com???

Firstly, don't let anyone tell you that there is a "one size fits all" solution to WDW touring. My opinions of the various methods are as follows:

UG. I have one, and love the content. There are good descriptions or the attractions and good touring ideas.
Passporter. I also love this guide. It's very family-oriented and has a good perspective.

Touring Plans. I think that these are tried and true plans to tour, but suffer from an inability to predict the unedpected. What's the different between a February tour plan and a September one? What about the six tour groups that you found in the park with you? But these plans are mostly successful and you don't have to "take a class" to figure out what to do next.

TGM. I've used what he taught me over the 28 WDW and 1 DL trip in the last 3 years (Anyone know when the next "DA" meeting is?) I know that we all like to feel that we are completely unique, but when we "relax and go with the flow" we usually act in very similar ways. TGM teaches you how the rest of the crowd is going to go, and how to avoid them. But you need to read a lot to understand why you should do this and not that.

What's the best way for you to plan for WDW? You tell me. But in the end, you're way ahead of the game by planning your touring at all, instead of letting a 5-year old "be the boss" or doing a commando run that will only lead to a melt down a lots of tears (and Im talking about the adults here!)

The first thing I paid for was TGM and that was in 2005. I keep resubscribing because I find his knowledge really helpful in how to tour WDW without waiting in lines -- the longest we've ever waited for non-shows is 10-15 minutes (and that includes April & August which are more crowded). In fact, when we have to wait about 20 minutes for shows, my kids start complaining how long the line is.:rotfl: Yes, some of TGM's site needs to be updated but overall, the information one needs is there. The forums are also great.

I've also bought the UG. I like lots of info about WDW - the more the merrier! Afterall, I am spending thousands of dollars on a WDW vacation, I think plunking down $40 for two resources to be a drop in the bucket.

Oh, one more thing about TGM, if you join up and honestly don't like it, you can get a full refund. :thumbsup2

TGM is definatly worth the $.
It would be better for me and my family if none of you heeded my advice and suscribed. There will be less waits for me in the lines and I'll get all of my ADRs just when I want them.

I don't want to be one of "YOU"!!!!!!!:)

TGM is a total waste of money. If you want to join a cult or pay money for information you can get for free elsewhere, then by all means pony up for him. If you want to learn how to get tour the parks effectively, skip him and spend your money on a more deserving source which updates its information regularly.

I'm sorry, but this made me laugh.

If your definition of a "cult" is a group of people from differing ethnic, social, educational, religious and political backgrounds that all share one thing in common - a love for the House of Mouse, then yes, we are a cult. We treat one another with respect. We offer advice when we can. Sometimes we just listen.

I can tell you that in my two year membership on TGM, I have very rarely ever seen anyone flamed, very few arguments take place in those forums and there is no name calling. With all honesty, I can't say that I am able to spend more than a few minutes on these boards without reading something rude or disrespectful to another poster. This is the very reason that I don't choose to spend much time here.

Hi everyone!

We are an extended family of 6 - 5 adults and one child, DS(who will be 8 when we go to wdw).

We plan to go to WDW in mid-August of 2009, staying 11 days, off-site in a vacation home. :cool1:

DS has never gone to WDW but has been to DL many times. The adults have all been to WDW but this was over 8 years ago.

I am buying the 2009 Unofficial Guide to WDW when it's released this August.

I am wondering whether it's worth it to ALSO subscribe to TGM and touringplans.com for their touring plans and advice.

Since we're going in August, I do expect to have a plan, although we may only follow it loosely.

Just wondering whether subscribing to all 3 guides would be overkill and/or a waste of money???

What do you all think?

TIA!
:hippie:

Hi! I just wanted to add that I've used them all and love them all for different reasons... I think that you'll really have to look around them. It's cheap enough and you have long enough that if you spread out buying them and exploring them, you will get the best of them all.

I use them all. But, touringplans should be viewed as a supplement to, not a replacement for, the Unofficial Guide. It doesn't make sense to me to subscribe to TP.com without first buying a copy of UG.

As for UG vs. TGM: honestly, they're each about $20. Buy both, and decide which one "fits" you best. They have different philosophies, and it's hard to say which one will fit you better. The short version: TGM wants you to have a great vacation that you don't need a vacation to recover from. UG is a little more commando. Both are great.

Honestly,

I dont think its really worth it.

You know what they all say and there is enough info on the net to find it all out!

They all say get there when the park opens and run around getting the big stuff out of the way early or late, etc.

Personally, I like to relax on vacation! We have been to WDW many, many times. This is the 1st trip for my 2.5 y/o niece. But, we are stil taking it slow.

Sleeping in to about 9-10 and then get started and take our time with no plans. If we dont see something we are coming back in March, etc.

I just dont see the reason to be up at the rope drop in a sprinters stance and carb loading...its a vacation, you should be relaxing and enjoying! I guess some people are only happy if they know they squeezed all the magic out of every last spent penny!

I suggest the Unofficial Guides. They have been the most help out of all my resources, and they are fun to read after the vacation to help remember it!

Oh my goodness yes, those TGM people are nuts - I mean, why would you want to be helpful to other people when it's so much more fun to yell at them for asking a seemingly innocent question?

is it true you have to drink some kind of bitter tasting koolaid to belong?;)

Yes, all TGMers drink the koolaid. The koolaid is really quite sweet. It's what gives us all that sweet personality, makes us lend a helping hand to those in need of advice, and removes the need for a flame suit.

As far as the OP's question if she should join TGM or not... I have two answers for you.

From the angel part... Yes! It is a great source for information. The few $'s that it cost are well repaid in shorter lines, quality time spent at WDW, and a way of making your vacation a great one with rest, relaxation and fun!

From the devil part... NO! Don't join! It's a cult and you have to drink the koolaid!!! (This said because the fewer of you that join, the shorter my lines will be. Hence the more restful, relaxing and fun my vacation will be. Plus I get the added benefit of giggling at the less informed standing in long lines for something I waited 5 minutes for.)

Honestly,

I dont think its really worth it.

You know what they all say and there is enough info on the net to find it all out!

They all say get there when the park opens and run around getting the big stuff out of the way early or late, etc.

Personally, I like to relax on vacation! We have been to WDW many, many times. This is the 1st trip for my 2.5 y/o niece. But, we are stil taking it slow.

Sleeping in to about 9-10 and then get started and take our time with no plans. If we dont see something we are coming back in March, etc.

I just dont see the reason to be up at the rope drop in a sprinters stance and carb loading...its a vacation, you should be relaxing and enjoying! I guess some people are only happy if they know they squeezed all the magic out of every last spent penny!

It's great that you get to go back in March! :goodvibes Remember, for many, it's a once in a lifetime experience.

I tried TGM, but didn't care for it. I actually found it to be a little bit irritating.

On the other hand, I have been a passporter member for some time and really like it. The deluxe PasPorters are very informative and well organized. I like that I can customize it to fit my needs (including being able to print and add worksheets). They have also been very responsive to questions and the forums are quite informative.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter