TGV from CDG, instructions for dummies :)

PeeKooAaa

Earning My Ears
Hi

Only 5 days and we are of to DLP for 3 nights at Hotel New York, can't wait :)

But, I have a question, I'm still undecided on how to get to DLP from CDG, should we use VEA or TGV, somehow I would love to try TGV but....but I'm little unsure if I can get it right...I mean, I've tried to buy tickets once before from french automatic machine and it wasn't a nice experience (apologies to all french people, it was propably my fault :) )

Soo, the question is...could someone give me TGV guide for dummies :) ?

- P -

I've copied this information for myself - hope it helps you a bit!

"You have to take the airport shuttle bus (free) to terminal 2 (bus number 5)which then runs in a loop and get off at the station. there is a display board on the bus in english and french telling you which stop. (We landed at terminal 3 so to find the bus stop we had to exit the arrivals building and turn right following the pink number 5 sign and walk for about 300 yards so a trolley for your luggage would be a good idea).

As you exit the bus you then go down 3 levels to the TGV station (all well signposted) and either go to the ticket office on your right or to the automatic machines which are also in English and take credit/debit cards, to buy your ticket.

The information board tells you which platform to go to and you have to punch your ticket in the orange machines before you board the train.

The signs on the platform tell you the number of the train and what time it is due. The train arrives bang on time and departs bang on time.

It takes 9 minutes and you get off at the first stop, Marne la Vallee Chessy. When you exit the station the bus terminus is right in front of you. The park hotels have free shuttle buses that take you to the hotels every few minutes."

Tickets can be booked on the SNCF website. Although you prebook a time, the tickets are flexible and can be changed for an earlier or later train at the station at no extra cost.

The answer is probably yes shortikell! The RER runs between Paris and CDG, and between Paris and DLP!! So to use the RER to get from CDG airport to DLP you first take Line B to Paris and then change to Line A to go out to Marne La Vallee where DLP is. Might well be the cheaper option, but would take considerably longer than the TGV!

But if you're staying in Paris and doing a day trip to DLP then the RER is the way to do it.

I am wondering what everyone thinks is the best option (quicker and most convenient), the TGV or the VEA. DH, myself, DS6 and DD2 in our party and we tend not to travel light (but always trying to improve on that). We have always in the past used the VEA but that was because I never knew about TGV. We are staying at DLH and going Nov 28-Dec 2 if that makes any difference to which choice. I would appreciate any comments/advice. TIA.

Nicola - the quicker option is undoubtedly the TGV, especially as you're staying at the last hotel on the VEA route! The more convenient option is the VEA.

Great help! ;)

Hey Becky!!! How much quicker do you think the TGV would be?

Steve rob posted these timings for the VEA a few months ago -

"From our pickup at Terminal 3 to leaving the airport grounds itself (via the pickup at Terminal 1 and then three seperate pickups at Terminal 2) - 30 minutes. Obviously if you're at one of the other terminals you can cut this time.

From airport to first Disney hotel (Newport Bay) - 45 minutes. Our driver took us the 'back route' rather than on the motorway, but I think both are as quick as each other. Even with bad traffic/roadworks I can't see this part of the journey taking more than 1 hour.

Then I'd add five minutes on for each hotel down the coach route list you're staying at: e.g. Sequoia Lodge +5 mins, Santa Fe +10 mins, Cheyenne +15 mins, New York +20 mins, Disneyland Hotel +25 mins, Coach Station (for other hotels) +30 mins.

It's probably not as long as the timings I've given above (unless there's a LOT of passengers at each hotel), but I gave five minutes for each just in case."

So the TGV only takes 12 minutes, but you have to catch the airport shuttle to the station first. I don't know about the others, but at Terminal 3 this is considerably further than the VEA stop, which is right at the front of the building. Also the VEA does go a bit more frequently than the TGV. If you arrive at the station just in time for your train, the journey will be much quicker. Otherwise it's even possible that the time between the airport and your hotel could be quite similar - so I perhaps I shouldn't have actually written "undoubtedly" in my last post!!

thats great. thanks loads for this info. I was gonna ask this very question nearer the time!!!

Looks like its the TGV for me!!!

Stevey

No problem!! How sad am I?! I have all this information on a document, and have also backed up a copy just in case!!! :teeth:

Thanks Becky. CLoser to the time I will have to investigate about timings of TGV with our Easyjet flight and where TGV stop is outside terminal (can't even remember which terminal easyjet flys into) Definitely a viable option to consider though.

Easyjet fly into Terminal 3. When they first started flying to CDG, the VEA shuttle didn't stop at that terminal, only 1 and 2. So we had to take the airport shuttle over to Terminal 1 and that's how I know that getting to that stop is quite a hike - especially with small child, small child's luggage and a pushchair to cope with too!!

In case you didn't see it, the timings for the TGV are here - just scroll down the page.

Personally speaking I would opt for the VEA - get on at airport, get off at hotel. But I think I'm in a minority, probably because it could take a good 90 minutes out of your holiday.

Thanks Becky!

Hmm...I can't seem to figure out how much the TGV is. Do you know how much that is vs. the VEA? I'd hate to take another 90 mins, but staying at the DL hotel then in Paris for a week, we can use ever extra cent we can save! :) But since we'll be returning to Paris, maybe the round trip ticket would be cheaper. And is there like a week-long pass that we could get so we can used the metro all week?

We'll be flying into Terminal 2E, so is that easier to get to the VEA shuttle or the RER shuttle?

Ugh, I'm so confused!

shortikell said:
Hmm...I can't seem to figure out how much the TGV is.

The TGV can be as little as 20 euros return. Prices vary based on time and date of travel and children can get a discount. Check the fares on http://www.voyages-sncf.com. Click the british flag at the bottom left for english.

shortikell said:
But since we'll be returning to Paris, maybe the round trip ticket would be cheaper.

I am confused by this..... You will be going from CDG to Disney but when you return to CDG you will leave from Paris ?

shortikell said:
And is there like a week-long pass that we could get so we can used the metro all week?

Yes there is a week long pass called a carte orange. It is good for unlimited transportation within Paris (bus, RER, metro). It is good for travel from monday to sunday only. So if you buy it on wed then it still ends on Sunday. So again, depends on your dates as to if this is the best option for you. You would want one for Zone 1-2 unless you are going to be coming and going from Disney.

shortikell said:
We'll be flying into Terminal 2E, so is that easier to get to the VEA shuttle or the RER shuttle?

If you are coming into 2E you can simply walk to the TGV station. It is directly attached to terminal 2E, no shuttle needed. Dont take the RER. You would have to ride it to central paris then change lines to get to Disney. The RER would take 2 hours.

We'll be staying in Disney for 2 nights, then staying in Paris for 5 nights.

How is it to get luggage onto the TGV? We'll each have a suitcase, but nothing huge, and a few carry-on sized bags.

How much would it be if we just got a taxi?

Bexx said:
No problem!! How sad am I?! I have all this information on a document, and have also backed up a copy just in case!!! :teeth:

:rolleyes1

But then it is lucky for us here that you are that sad Becky and could answer the questions :teeth:

shortikell said:
We'll be staying in Disney for 2 nights, then staying in Paris for 5 nights.

How is it to get luggage onto the TGV? We'll each have a suitcase, but nothing huge, and a few carry-on sized bags.

How much would it be if we just got a taxi?

Luggage is easy to get on the TGV. The doors are large and there is large storage at the end of each car. Just carry it on and drop the bag in the storage area. A taxi would be around 100 euros.

Thanks- that's great to hear! I was worried we'd have troubles carrying everything, but sounds like that's one more thing to cross off my list of trip troubles! :flower:

Wow, thank you for your answers, I think we will use to TGV, sounds
like it should be fairly straigtforward. And our son just loves trains, so... :)

- P -

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter