Thanksgiving 2008 - flights and crowds

jimbostacks

Mouseketeer
Hey Everybody.

My family is doing the week of Holloween this year. But my oldest son is geeting to difficult to take him out of school for a entire week. PLus next year I want to go with a larger group..one 2BR and 2 Studios. I was planning on going the friday before thanksgiving and actually flying back early in the AM on thanksgiving day. I am assuming reservations for the Wed before thanksgiving are tight, but woul I expect flights to be much cheaper on thanksgiving day? Crowds ok right before Thanksgiving?

thanks a ton!!!!

Haven't I heard somewhere that the day before Thanksgiving has passed Christmas/New Year's as the day with the most airline passenger traffic?

Last year I added an additional person to our T-giving trip just 3 weeks before T-giving...you can imagine the prices of airlines (fortunately, we went from 2 to 3 in a studio, so no impact on "housing")...in any event, 2 of the 3 of us are college students and had essentially no flexibility as to dates...

Travel on T-giving day itself was LOTS less expensive than travel on the Tues or Wed before...it's probably still more expensive than travel during a non-holiday week, but definitely noticeably less than travel the Tues & Wed before T-giving! Or the Fri-Sat-Sun after...

Of course, this year's prices may be totally different. But that was my experience last year...

As to crowds: I arrived on Monday; the kids on Tuesday...Monday's crowds were noticeably lighter than Tuesday's...Tuesday it started to get busy in the afternoon; by Wed the parks were very crowded. Strangely, Thurs wasn't so crowded...Fri-Sat-Sun were jam-packed...

Happy travels!

This is our third Thanksgiving trip this year. We are arriving Wed. night the week before Thanksgiving and flying out on Thankgiving. I was able to get 79 each way and then I was slated to leave the day after but then I got a DING on SW and we changed it to come home on Thanksgiving evening and we got 49 both ways. We love that time of year. It does get crowded about Tuesday and Wed. for sure......that is why we are flying back on Thanksgiving. The first trip we stayed and returned home on Sat. after Thanksgiving and then the past trip we left on Friday so this year we are leaving on the DAY. It gets very crowded BIG TIME BY FRIDAY. Have fun.....

thanks for the feedback....sounds like the flights will be fine if we fly back on early AM Thanksgiving, but be prepared for large crowds starting Tuesday.....thanks

We went last year the thursday before thanksgiving and stayed until thanksgiving day. The airport was empty-- no line for security and the plane was 3/4 full. I got a great airfare too.

The only thing was that Disney really started getting crowded on the Sunday before thanksgiving and it was NUTS the day before!! But Friday and Saturday we had the place to ourselves!!

We might be down there again next year during thanksgiving and I will probably fly on thanksgiving day again! My children my have the chance to do a dance performance at the MK!!! Its just in the planning stages but I'm excited already.!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter