• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Thanksgiving or Just before Christmas?

Cal-Pie

DIS Veteran
Because I need to either be at Disneyland or planning to go to Disneyland, my vague plan to go back sometime at the end of 2020 is just not good enough to satisfy that desire. I need a date! If your choices were Thanksgiving week (probably in the parks Wed-Fri) or Dec 19-22ish, which would you choose? I realize both will be very busy, but I've never seen the Christmas decorations before, and these are likely the only times my kids could go.

Because I need to either be at Disneyland or planning to go to Disneyland, my vague plan to go back sometime at the end of 2020 is just not good enough to satisfy that desire. I need a date! If your choices were Thanksgiving week (probably in the parks Wed-Fri) or Dec 19-22ish, which would you choose? I realize both will be very busy, but I've never seen the Christmas decorations before, and these are likely the only times my kids could go.

I would definitely go for Dec 19-22ish. Its going to be pretty busy either days you plan on going, but the decorations alone are worth it. Also Disney doesn't really do much for Thanksgiving. During Christmas they always do special shows or events, specialty foods and tons of fun Christmas merchandise. I also feel the crowds are more festive and happy.

Aren't all the Christmas decorations up by the first couple weeks of November?

True, but its almost like a half christmas. Because they dont go full out until after thanksgiving. Restaurants have thanksgiving themes, including merchandise.

But when it hits december its full on christmas, all the food, the characters, and i overall like the whole mood of the parks. Both guests and CM's.

I agree with the pp -- if it's going to be crowded anyway, I'd go when the parks will be the most "full on" holiday. That close to Christmas will be so much fun, even the crowds can be more full of the Christmas spirit. But, if you want to get your Christmas card photos in the parks, then go with the Thanksgiving dates so you can get your cards printed and mailed on time!

I would definitely go for Dec 19-22ish. Its going to be pretty busy either days you plan on going, but the decorations alone are worth it. Also Disney doesn't really do much for Thanksgiving. During Christmas they always do special shows or events, specialty foods and tons of fun Christmas merchandise. I also feel the crowds are more festive and happy.
Actually, everything is up prior to Thanksgiving. The Christmas season starts either the 8th of November or the 15th. With the exception of the tree in the Grand and the Gingerbread House in the Grand (tree generally goes up in the Grand the first weekend of Christmas Season, and Gingerbread House goes up the weekend prior to Thanksgiving) the parks are ready by opening. The Holiday food booths have opened on time (last year November 9th.) Parades and entertainment start then also. Whatever is going to be happening Dec 19-22 will be happening Thanksgiving also.

That said, as a person who goes during both times, I would go Dec 19-22. Crowds won't be as bad as they would be during Thanksgiving.

I always choose Thanksgiving week. Even though it's packed, the weather is usually nice and you get the holiday festivities before the main Christmas crowd. It's not a huge difference crowd-wise, but I just find it more pleasant.

We went for the week of Thanksgiving 2017. Everything Christmas was already decorated and in place, so there wasn't anything we missed by going in late November vs. Christmas break, other than insane crowds would be my guess. I was actually surprised that it wasn't busier when we were there. The Monday before and Monday after Thanksgiving were our worst crowd days. We did LEGOLAND on Tuesday then back to the parks on Wednesday and Thursday, took a day off Friday, on Saturday we did Universal Studios, then back in the parks Sunday and Monday before flying home. Even the weekend after wasn't as crazy as the two Mondays. I would hands down go again that week over one of the last two weeks of Christmas.

We went for the week of Thanksgiving 2017. Everything Christmas was already decorated and in place, so there wasn't anything we missed by going in late November vs. Christmas break, other than insane crowds would be my guess. I was actually surprised that it wasn't busier when we were there. The Monday before and Monday after Thanksgiving were our worst crowd days. We did LEGOLAND on Tuesday then back to the parks on Wednesday and Thursday, took a day off Friday, on Saturday we did Universal Studios, then back in the parks Sunday and Monday before flying home. Even the weekend after wasn't as crazy as the two Mondays. I would hands down go again that week over one of the last two weeks of Christmas.
I agree (we go both the week of Thanksgiving and the 2 weeks of Christmas, sucker for crowds.) The OP is going just before the 2 weeks of Christmas, so that is wy I chose the 19-22. The 2 worst weeks will actually start Dec 23.

I agree (we go both the week of Thanksgiving and the 2 weeks of Christmas, sucker for crowds.) The OP is going just before the 2 weeks of Christmas, so that is wy I chose the 19-22. The 2 worst weeks will actually start Dec 23.
That makes sense! I didn’t look at a calendar, I was just thinking of my kids winter breaks and usually they start around the 20th so I was envisioning the first weekend of Christmas break. Someday I’d love to surprise my kids with a Christmas Day trip even though I know it would be crazy. My husbands work doesn’t allow time off then so doubtful I will ever make it work.

Past few years, it hasn't been "bad" the 3-4 days before Christmas. We are usually there from the 22 or so. Even with kids getting out , the first Sat and Sun really aren't bad, because of block outs.... And most people who are coming, use the first couple days to drive or fly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter