Thanksgiving week confusion

TMAN264

Earning My Ears
I am confused as to the park's busyness on the week of Thanksgiving. I was told by a cast member that the week of Thanksgiving, particularly Wednesday was a great day to avoid crowds. Yet when I use a DVC calculator, 3 of those days jump from Choice Season to Magic Season. Any advice on the crowds during Thanksgiving week? Is using a DVC points chart to determine crowds based on points "seasons" accurate?

Thanks.

I would look at crowd predictions at touringplans or easywdw. I am pretty sure the entire week is very busy, like rated 9 out of 10.

Next to Easter week and the Christmas week, it is one of the busiest weeks of the year.

I arrive the Saturday after Thanksgiving and it is busy all day Saturday and Sunday is busy with MK and DHS at the top of the list.

HMMM...I think the cast member meant to say that the week of Thanksgiving, especially the Wednesday before Thanksgiving was a great day to FIND crowds. It is traditionally a very busy week (one of the busiest of the year at the parks), not as busy as the week between Christmas and New Years though. I can't recall hearing of any of the parks actually closing at capacity during Thanksgiving week, but someone can correct me If I'm wrong on that.

I have been a few times over Thanksgiving and the corwds are manageable. I personally think the week of Christmas is much worse.

Kids are out of school at least Thursday and Friday. When that happens, expect to see a lot of them at Disney... even for the whole week. It's easier to take kids out of school in conjunction with a long weekend then to do it when there are no previous days off.

HMMM...I think the cast member meant to say that the week of Thanksgiving, especially the Wednesday before Thanksgiving was a great day to FIND crowds. It is traditionally a very busy week (one of the busiest of the year at the parks), not as busy as the week between Christmas and New Years though. I can't recall hearing of any of the parks actually closing at capacity during Thanksgiving week, but someone can correct me If I'm wrong on that.

I'm thinking it was more like if you are visiting WDW Thanksgiving week. Wednesday will have the lesser crowds vs Thursday or Friday.

I would assume it will be very busy down there that week. I know that all the school around where I am have that entire week off now. Most states the school are at least out Wed-Fri.

I arrive the Saturday after Thanksgiving and it is busy all day Saturday and Sunday is busy with MK and DHS at the top of the list.

That's when we are arriving as well....getting there late Sat night and staying through Wed or Thurs. I'm thinking that we will experience a similar situation that we did this past Labor Day, got there Sunday and it was super busy. OKW occup rate was over 90% and dropped to half that on Monday. Monday started off busy and the crowds seemed to thin out as the day progressed which I assume was due to people checking out Mon morning but wanting to get just a little more park-time in before returning home.

Thank you for the input. The other part of my question was the coorelation between a DVC point chart and business. I have since gone to EasyWDW (nice site!), and am still confused regarding the business of the parks as it relates to DVC points.......or am I comparing apples to oranges here? Thanks, and happy Thanksgiving all!

That's when we are arriving as well....getting there late Sat night and staying through Wed or Thurs. I'm thinking that we will experience a similar situation that we did this past Labor Day, got there Sunday and it was super busy. OKW occup rate was over 90% and dropped to half that on Monday. Monday started off busy and the crowds seemed to thin out as the day progressed which I assume was due to people checking out Mon morning but wanting to get just a little more park-time in before returning home.

You will have no problem getting into AK either Saturday or Sunday.

After that, it pretty much drops down, except MK when the parade is taped; but there is an easy way around Main Street by taking the train to Frontierland and do the perimeter.

Even with free dining the last two years, it has been very pleasant.

Thank you for the input. The other part of my question was the coorelation between a DVC point chart and business. I have since gone to EasyWDW (nice site!), and am still confused regarding the business of the parks as it relates to DVC points.......or am I comparing apples to oranges here? Thanks, and happy Thanksgiving all!

You may want to ask on the DVC board; there are a lot more people well versed on DVC on that board, then here on the resorts board. While some of us have been to DVC resorts, not all of us have done the points thing and probably cannot comment on the parks vs. DVC resorts availability.

DVC peak times do not coincide with the general public peak times. Thanksgiving is going to be crowded no matter what. A crowd predictor site like easywdw is the best place to look for individual park recommendations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter