Thanksgiving Week- Dining Experiences, Crowds, etc.

TikiTikiFan

DIS Veteran
We just got back from a week long trip at Disneyland from 11/19-11/26 and wanted to share my thoughts with everyone. This was my first visit back to Disneyland since COVID (with so many cancelled trips again and again) so it was extremely emotional to be back. I didn't even make it past the esplanade before I started tearing up on our first night at Downtown Disney.

Crowds/Ride Lines: Crowds were nuts but I knew that would be the case going in visiting during Thanksgiving week. I was really disappointed Genie+ did not launch before our trip, I won't be back until something is in place because the lines were just rough to deal with. I have DAS so I was able to manage but not being able to blend in with the FP line was really uncomfortable this trip. We got many glares, rude comments muttered and one lady stepped right in front of me as demanded to know why I got to go in that line... Luckily a cast member quickly came to my rescue and took her aside to have a conversation but yikes. I'm sure this may have been worse than normal because of Thanksgiving week but it did cause some stress. I have invisible disabilities so I'm used to this in day to day life (I have a handicap tag and every few months I got some random person in a parking lot yelling at me for having it...) but not fun to deal with at Disneyland. I didn't experience this as much at WDW for whatever reason, maybe Disneyland was just extra packed and frustrations were especially high for people.

We found the best time of the day was 8AM-10AM and 9PM-closing. Those two hours before park close were perfect, we were able to get so much done by staying that late. Each day we left to take an afternoon nap and that helped so much. I highly recommend this approach. The security opened roughly about 7:15-7:25 each day. We just showed up around 7:30 and that worked well since we weren't planning on rope dropping Rise we could afford to be towards the back of the line to the entrance gates. We still rope dropped Peter Pan just fine- it helps being a small group though we can weave through crowds easier.

Rise of the Resistance: We did the virtual queue our first two days and then it switched to a standby on Monday which was absolutely insaaaaane. But it does take the pressure off the other rides in the park. Honestly the longest line of the day is the first two hours after park opening- from watching the app and seeing the line in person as we walked past the best time to ride this is either during the second parade or right before the ride closes at 8PM.

Dining: I was so worried about dining and didn't have any issues getting mobile orders, pretzels, quick service food, etc. Usually if we did have to wait for a mobile order return time it was only about 15 minutes away, not a big deal at all. So if anyone is worried about that, we were there during the busiest week the park has probably seen in awhile and had no issues. I actually ended up canceling a few of our dining reservations just because we didn't need them. Lines for food booths in DCA were always better during the day and got longer at night. The booths further back by Goofys always had shorter lines which is good because my son was absolutely obsessed with the mac and cheese back there.

Table service restaurant experiences were all normal compared to our pre-covid experiences with the exception of Blue Bayou. I posted this on the dining thread but I'll copy it here too:

Just a heads up for anyone with allergy/vegetarian/any dietary restrictions: Blue Bayou is not accommodating anything right now. We ate there for our Thanksgiving meal in the parks and it was probably the worst Disney dining experience we've ever had. No vegetarian options at all and they wouldn't allow us to order sides of veggies/potatoes/etc. Our server refused to ask the kitchen to do any modifications for us and I did it have it listed on our reservation. That was why I asked for the lead and he also refused to ask the kitchen. Server and the lead were really hateful about it... first time I've ever experienced that at Disneyland and due to my years of suffering in food service in college I am always super nice in restaurants... there was just no reason for it. Lead told me they don't have staff or enough food so they're not allowed to modify anything even for allergies or vegetarians.

We ended up just ordering a few kids meals to try and get some food without meat. They wouldn't even agree to leave the meat off any of the dinners either so it wouldn't be touching the other food which makes me think everything may have been pre-plated for Thanksgiving. Such a disappointing experience. Still no bread either and no refills on mint juleps. We were fine with anything meat free- not just what was on the Thanksgiving menu and were told no modifications allowed or side dishes ordered separately. So we bought four kids meals of mac and cheese and made do but wow- they were super rude about it. I got a survey about our dining experience on Thanksgiving and voiced my concerns. Blue Bayou always used to be so wonderful for vegetarians but not anymore. This seems to be primarily a Blue Bayou issue, we didn't have issues elsewhere- everywhere else was positive!

Tropicana Inn & Suites: We stayed at the Tropicana which is right across the street by the intersection to Disneyland. Hotel was clean, housekeeping was actually pretty frequent despite not doing full room cleanings each day anymore. We had two full room cleanings on our seven night stay and each day they emptied the trash and refilled towels- which is much more than other places are doing these days. In WDW they didn't even do that for us every day! The location for this hotel was awesome, we've never stayed this close before and I don't think I'll ever go back to staying far and having use ART. Pool was okay, we only used it once but it's just fine for a trip where you're spending most of your time in the park anyways.

The Bad: Until Genie+ launches I don't see how folks with smaller kids could handle the parks right now- every ride we walked by looked miserable. In our experience ride wait times were totally all over the place. Sometimes they were inflated and sometimes they were way understated. You would randomly see Space or Guardians go down to 20 minutes on the app but if you walked by the wait was easily an hour. You really couldn't trust the app to be accurate, eyeballing it seemed to be the best bet. Guest services was so understaffed trying to deal with DAS folks, we had to wait more than 30 minutes a few times to get a return time- it will be great once this is done on the app because this will free those people up. I really missed the entertainment like the Frozen show, Mickeys Magical Map, Fantasmic!, etc. You could notice the gap in your day those experiences provided. And of course, not being able to ride its a small world was a bummer.

The Good: We had a wonderful trip and managed to get great spots for both the parade and fireworks. We watched the parade on Main Street instead of our usual its a small world spot and were lucky enough to be on a bench. Boy, what a difference that makes- people can't crowd you as much and easier on the back. It's well worth that long wait to be on a bench! I found so much xmas decor in the parks that I haven't seen hit ShopDisney at all which made me so happy. My wallet wasn't so happy but hey, it's Christmas time. Most of the CMs we encountered were super sweet, we had many positive interactions with all of them and some memorable conversations. Plenty of magic still around- like others on here have commented, you get what you give. If some CMs looked stress usually being extra kind received a kind response in return. Only exception was Blue Bayou which just seems like a hot mess.... and probably not even the CMs fault but Disney's upper management- they need to give them more staff or limit the reservations until it's under control.

It was so good to be back at Disneyland, since we usually take our next trip in the summer I'm hoping by then all the 'bads' I mentioned will be worked out. And honestly, the biggest negative was the lack of Genie+ which hopefully will come any day now. Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Thank you for this report! We are going in a few weeks and will be getting a DAS for my DD10. This helps manage expectations, and we will plan on getting there early and staying late

Interesting that the Tropicana can manage everyday trash and towel service plus two full cleanings in a 7-day stay. During our 5-day stay at DLH over Veterans Day weekend, we were told no full service and trash and towel service every other day. But we ended up getting NO service of any kind.

Glad you had a good week! Bummer about BB and no G+, but here’s to hoping that is rectified by your next trip. We’ve all come a long way from the closure roller coaster.

The tension you felt from other guests reentering with DAS is disheartening. I wonder if that type of tension is more palatable today with all the park deficiencies? I’m glad it wasn’t worse (ie more confrontational).

Great report! Summed it up very well, things are just different at Disney right now.

Sorry to hear about the DAS reaction. Guests need to just worry about themselves instead of focusing on others. Let the CM's do their job, and if they think someone truly is cutting in line they can ask a CM instead of confrontation.
The tension you felt from other guests reentering with DAS is disheartening. I wonder if that type of tension is more palatable today with all the park deficiencies? I’m glad it wasn’t worse (ie more confrontational).
I think that can play a factor as well. Guests don't see the constant 'flow' of Fast Pass next to them so they assume line cutting (but again, they should ask a CM if worried about it, not try to police the line themselves.)

Thanks for posting! :earsboy:

We just got back Wednesday late afternoon, I agree with most everything you reported. We didn't end getting Blue Bayou and now glad we didn't, sorry it didn't work out well for you! We were able to get ROR virtual our first 3 days and that was great! We didn't try after they switched to stand by. Our first 3 days were 18th, 19th and 20th and then went to Universal on Sunday and back to DL/CA on Mon. and Tues, boy what a difference! So glad it was less crowded those first 3 days!! We stayed at Desert Inn and they picked up trash everyday you set it outside your room and you just had to call for towels ect. It was great staying so close and was nice and clean. Thanks for your report and glad you had a great time, we did as well, but still missed the same things with the entertainment.

My family also ate our Thanksgiving meal at BB. We were stunned at how empty it was and it was explained that they were short staffed for the day. Our waiter must have been pulled in from somewhere else because he didn't seem to know the menu or care much about it anyway. No menu modifications or bread. Honestly, I didn't really miss the bread. My sister got the cauliflower and grits and I got the turkey dinner. We got an extra plate so we could each have half of the other's meal to taste. Turkey dinner was overly salty, but the Brussels sprouts were excellent. We also enjoyed the asparagus appetizer "for the table". DD had the steak and lobster and Mom had the jambalaya. Verdict was that the sausage was way too hot for her. The best thing we ate was the cauliflower and grits. Dessert was a very bland pumpkin brûlée and weak coffee.

The food wasn't excellent but it also wasn't terrible. We wanted to eat at BB for the ambiance. It turns out that the Pirates ride went down while we were there and there were lots of announcements made over the loud speaker. Not the ambiance we had expected and yet, we still had the best day ever!

Sorry to hear about your experience using DAS. We used DAS last week for our son and had no negative guest reactions, at least not that we noticed. I was a bit concerned since the FP lines were empty expect for those with DAS streaming through. We would just keep our heads down and walk quickly until we merged with the lines. If anyone was glaring at us, we didn't notice. The Haunted Mansion DAS queue was a bit of a challenge because they had us walk up the steps on the front porch and merge ourselves into the line. I was afraid that people who had waited in the regular line wouldn't let us in, but we just blended in next to the regular queue until we were inside the house. It didn't end up being an issue. If anyone asked us why we were using that line, I was prepared to say we had a Disability Pass. But, no one spoke to us at all. CM's were very nice about DAS, directing us when to scan our passes and where to enter the queue.

The Haunted Mansion DAS queue was a bit of a challenge because they had us walk up the steps on the front porch and merge ourselves into the line. I was afraid that people who had waited in the regular line wouldn't let us in, but we just blended in next to the regular queue until we were inside the house. It didn't end up being an issue.

Isn't there usually a CM posted at the top of those steps, or is that the same as the CM at the entrance to the foyer directing folks in?

Great report! Summed it up very well, things are just different at Disney right now.

Sorry to hear about the DAS reaction. Guests need to just worry about themselves instead of focusing on others. Let the CM's do their job, and if they think someone truly is cutting in line they can ask a CM instead of confrontation.

I think that can play a factor as well. Guests don't see the constant 'flow' of Fast Pass next to them so they assume line cutting (but again, they should ask a CM if worried about it, not try to police the line themselves.)

Thanks for posting! :earsboy:

I think because the lines were just so out of control, especially on Thanksgiving day, many folks were just like 'how are they using the FP line?!' and probably didn't realize it's for DAS. All depends on the attraction too I think- some the FP lines are more separated while others (Splash!) are side by side so people just stare more. 😬 Let's hope Disney gets Genie+ out soon as the rest of the busy holiday weeks hit- so surprised they're taking this long.

Great report!

I hope you don’t mind me tacking on my mini trip report/thoughts.

We were there Wed the 24th through today (Sunday) and stayed at the Residence Inn Convention Center, which was a great hotel for us! The rooms are large (and the kitchen is great), beds are comfortable and walk is short. Their current housekeeping policy is they will do full cleanings on request, with 24 hours notice. They’ll replenish towels & take out trash by calling down to the front desk. We had a minor issue on check in and they ended up comping our parking fees for the week.

We were a party of 8 and dining reservations were hard to come by, even checking every day. We ended up with Wine Country Trattoria for Thanksgiving dinner and Carnation Cafe for Sat lunch. Both were great! We had zero issue with mobile ordering and return times were always right away (within 15 mins) and we never had to wait long once hitting “I’m here”, with a few exceptions - Gibson Girl, Candy Palace & Mint Julep Bar. The first two just took forever to turn over to ready and the last just had a pickup line that was 20 deep.

It was crowded! And windy!! We have the privilege of going fairly often, so were able to handle the long lines, especially because DD has a DAS. We were ok missing somethings. It would have been extremely frustrating if it were a rare or only trip for us. If people had a problem with us having a DAS, they never expressed it or I never noticed. I wouldn’t be surprised if people gave us looks though - if the situation were reversed, I’d want to know how they were doing it. There were also a TON of VIP tours, so maybe they just assumed that? The virtual queue was gone when we went; we used the DAS for ROTR and rope dropped Webslingers. We easily found parade seating for the 3pm parade across from Gibson Girl around 2:15. I was so happy to have a parade back! I also might be in the minority, but I loved the new character “meet & greets”. I know they don’t eat up crowds anymore, but it was so much less stressful and we still had great character interaction.

And interesting observation from me. With the exception of last year, we have done Thanksgiving at Disneyland every year for the last decade. The days leading up to Thanksgiving were light, Thanksgiving Day was always amazing - if it was busy early, it always died down early afternoon and then it got crazy Fri & Sat. This year, Thanksgiving Day was bananas early and never got better. CMs said it was the busiest one they remember. But yesterday was great after a really busy week. The first two hours were so quiet and things never really did get crazy. I do wonder if the change comes from the new pass holder situation and park hopping being impossible before 1pm

A lot of rides went down. Repeatedly. Not unusual, Indy was down about 50% of the time. Matterhorn went down a few times. Guardians was down a lot (once was a fire alarm). Radiator Springs spent a good part of 2 days down. Rise. When headliners go down, especially multiple like Guardians & Radiator at the same time, it really makes everything else miserably long. But overall we found wait times to be overinflated.

All in all, we had a wonderful time. But thanks to our own experiences and advice/reports from this board, we went in with the right expectations to make that happen.

I hope you don’t mind me tacking on my mini trip report/thoughts.

We need a "Here/Back" thread like they have on the WDW side of the boards! That thread was an amazing help our last two WDW trips!

A lot of rides went down. Repeatedly. Not unusual, Indy was down about 50% of the time. Matterhorn went down a few times. Guardians was down a lot (once was a fire alarm). Radiator Springs spent a good part of 2 days down. Rise. When headliners go down, especially multiple like Guardians & Radiator at the same time, it really makes everything else miserably long. But overall we found wait times to be overinflated.

Ah so much this! I forgot to mention that. One of the guest services CMs said it had something to do with the Santa Ana winds we got those last few days? Lots of ride breakdowns even before that too, maybe less maintenance staff than usual? We experienced similar at WDW and regulars that said that's not usual compared to pre-pandemic days either. Indy was a mess so definitely recommend folks trying to ride it early on in case you have issues.

I don’t think it was the winds of the last few days. On 11/11, HMH, Pirates, Indy, and Splash were all down at park opening. Plus some Fantasyland rides. HMH didn’t open for hours. That side of the park was a mess that morning.

We just got back from a week long trip at Disneyland from 11/19-11/26 and wanted to share my thoughts with everyone. This was my first visit back to Disneyland since COVID (with so many cancelled trips again and again) so it was extremely emotional to be back. I didn't even make it past the esplanade before I started tearing up on our first night at Downtown Disney.

Crowds/Ride Lines: Crowds were nuts but I knew that would be the case going in visiting during Thanksgiving week. I was really disappointed Genie+ did not launch before our trip, I won't be back until something is in place because the lines were just rough to deal with. I have DAS so I was able to manage but not being able to blend in with the FP line was really uncomfortable this trip. We got many glares, rude comments muttered and one lady stepped right in front of me as demanded to know why I got to go in that line... Luckily a cast member quickly came to my rescue and took her aside to have a conversation but yikes. I'm sure this may have been worse than normal because of Thanksgiving week but it did cause some stress. I have invisible disabilities so I'm used to this in day to day life (I have a handicap tag and every few months I got some random person in a parking lot yelling at me for having it...) but not fun to deal with at Disneyland. I didn't experience this as much at WDW for whatever reason, maybe Disneyland was just extra packed and frustrations were especially high for people.

We found the best time of the day was 8AM-10AM and 9PM-closing. Those two hours before park close were perfect, we were able to get so much done by staying that late. Each day we left to take an afternoon nap and that helped so much. I highly recommend this approach. The security opened roughly about 7:15-7:25 each day. We just showed up around 7:30 and that worked well since we weren't planning on rope dropping Rise we could afford to be towards the back of the line to the entrance gates. We still rope dropped Peter Pan just fine- it helps being a small group though we can weave through crowds easier.

Rise of the Resistance: We did the virtual queue our first two days and then it switched to a standby on Monday which was absolutely insaaaaane. But it does take the pressure off the other rides in the park. Honestly the longest line of the day is the first two hours after park opening- from watching the app and seeing the line in person as we walked past the best time to ride this is either during the second parade or right before the ride closes at 8PM.

Dining: I was so worried about dining and didn't have any issues getting mobile orders, pretzels, quick service food, etc. Usually if we did have to wait for a mobile order return time it was only about 15 minutes away, not a big deal at all. So if anyone is worried about that, we were there during the busiest week the park has probably seen in awhile and had no issues. I actually ended up canceling a few of our dining reservations just because we didn't need them. Lines for food booths in DCA were always better during the day and got longer at night. The booths further back by Goofys always had shorter lines which is good because my son was absolutely obsessed with the mac and cheese back there.

Table service restaurant experiences were all normal compared to our pre-covid experiences with the exception of Blue Bayou. I posted this on the dining thread but I'll copy it here too:

Just a heads up for anyone with allergy/vegetarian/any dietary restrictions: Blue Bayou is not accommodating anything right now. We ate there for our Thanksgiving meal in the parks and it was probably the worst Disney dining experience we've ever had. No vegetarian options at all and they wouldn't allow us to order sides of veggies/potatoes/etc. Our server refused to ask the kitchen to do any modifications for us and I did it have it listed on our reservation. That was why I asked for the lead and he also refused to ask the kitchen. Server and the lead were really hateful about it... first time I've ever experienced that at Disneyland and due to my years of suffering in food service in college I am always super nice in restaurants... there was just no reason for it. Lead told me they don't have staff or enough food so they're not allowed to modify anything even for allergies or vegetarians.

We ended up just ordering a few kids meals to try and get some food without meat. They wouldn't even agree to leave the meat off any of the dinners either so it wouldn't be touching the other food which makes me think everything may have been pre-plated for Thanksgiving. Such a disappointing experience. Still no bread either and no refills on mint juleps. We were fine with anything meat free- not just what was on the Thanksgiving menu and were told no modifications allowed or side dishes ordered separately. So we bought four kids meals of mac and cheese and made do but wow- they were super rude about it. I got a survey about our dining experience on Thanksgiving and voiced my concerns. Blue Bayou always used to be so wonderful for vegetarians but not anymore. This seems to be primarily a Blue Bayou issue, we didn't have issues elsewhere- everywhere else was positive!

Tropicana Inn & Suites: We stayed at the Tropicana which is right across the street by the intersection to Disneyland. Hotel was clean, housekeeping was actually pretty frequent despite not doing full room cleanings each day anymore. We had two full room cleanings on our seven night stay and each day they emptied the trash and refilled towels- which is much more than other places are doing these days. In WDW they didn't even do that for us every day! The location for this hotel was awesome, we've never stayed this close before and I don't think I'll ever go back to staying far and having use ART. Pool was okay, we only used it once but it's just fine for a trip where you're spending most of your time in the park anyways.

The Bad: Until Genie+ launches I don't see how folks with smaller kids could handle the parks right now- every ride we walked by looked miserable. In our experience ride wait times were totally all over the place. Sometimes they were inflated and sometimes they were way understated. You would randomly see Space or Guardians go down to 20 minutes on the app but if you walked by the wait was easily an hour. You really couldn't trust the app to be accurate, eyeballing it seemed to be the best bet. Guest services was so understaffed trying to deal with DAS folks, we had to wait more than 30 minutes a few times to get a return time- it will be great once this is done on the app because this will free those people up. I really missed the entertainment like the Frozen show, Mickeys Magical Map, Fantasmic!, etc. You could notice the gap in your day those experiences provided. And of course, not being able to ride its a small world was a bummer.

The Good: We had a wonderful trip and managed to get great spots for both the parade and fireworks. We watched the parade on Main Street instead of our usual its a small world spot and were lucky enough to be on a bench. Boy, what a difference that makes- people can't crowd you as much and easier on the back. It's well worth that long wait to be on a bench! I found so much xmas decor in the parks that I haven't seen hit ShopDisney at all which made me so happy. My wallet wasn't so happy but hey, it's Christmas time. Most of the CMs we encountered were super sweet, we had many positive interactions with all of them and some memorable conversations. Plenty of magic still around- like others on here have commented, you get what you give. If some CMs looked stress usually being extra kind received a kind response in return. Only exception was Blue Bayou which just seems like a hot mess.... and probably not even the CMs fault but Disney's upper management- they need to give them more staff or limit the reservations until it's under control.

It was so good to be back at Disneyland, since we usually take our next trip in the summer I'm hoping by then all the 'bads' I mentioned will be worked out. And honestly, the biggest negative was the lack of Genie+ which hopefully will come any day now. Hope this helps!

Your experience at Blue Bayou is just terrible! I have a good friend who's got celiac disease and she & her husband enjoy going to DL (they live in southern CA), but they haven't been back since it reopened. I read her your description of your experience. We were all appalled. We compared that to about 3-4 years ago, our immediate family & friend & her husband ate at the Blue Bayou. Blue Bayou was able to accommodate her gluten allergy with no problems and they even had gluten free rolls for her, which she thought was pretty darn great.

What you experienced at that restaurant is totally unacceptable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter