That moment when you need to show a host how wrong they are!

MBTigger

Designated Bouncer
I resemble Craig with a few years added on. I kind of identify with him for many of the things he talks about on the Dis....

Yet I feel I need to give him the road of Damascus treatment when it comes to Encancto. Maybe it is because I come from a big family, or have an affinity for latin beats, but I think Encanto is an AMAZING movie, and significantly better than Moana.

Maybe I just need to shift my point of view and identify with Deni. Ratatouille is my favorite Pixar film after all!

PS. take this in the spirit of ridiculousness in which was written.... Except for the idea that Craig and Deni really seem to capture many of the things I enjoy about Entertainment and that I appreciate them (and Ryno and Pete and all the team)

Even when they are dead wrong!

The Encanto story was nice but the music was horrendous. It did not fit the voice of the singer and she had a hard time with the songs. Also, her voice pitch made it difficult to understand what she was saying. And all of the songs where of the same style. Can Lin Manuel Miranda write any other style of song? The movie would have been much better if the songs where better. I was actually pretty disappointed in it. Disney usually has such great songs in their movies and this one was a real let down.

The Encanto story was nice but the music was horrendous. It did not fit the voice of the singer and she had a hard time with the songs. Also, her voice pitch made it difficult to understand what she was saying. And all of the songs where of the same style. Can Lin Manuel Miranda write any other style of song? The movie would have been much better if the songs where better. I was actually pretty disappointed in it. Disney usually has such great songs in their movies and this one was a real let down.
I think this is an odd take (it's one thing to say you subjectively don't like something - but have you seen Encanto's places on the charts? It's clearly not a sign of the songs being terrible).

I think this is an odd take (it's one thing to say you subjectively don't like something - but have you seen Encanto's places on the charts? It's clearly not a sign of the songs being terrible).

I can have an opinion. We thought the songs where bad. We all know that what is popular doesn't necessarily mean that it is good. Sometimes people just go along with the crowd instead of forming their own opinion. I doubt that any of the songs from Encanto are going to become Disney classics. Start singing one in your head right now, can you even remember them? What are the lyrics? The only one that anyone can remember is "we don't talk about Bruno". But that is the only line that people every repeat. Google Encanto songs and the first thing that pops up is that they are bad. So I am obviously not the only person to think so. Feel free to have your own opinion.

I can have an opinion. We thought the songs where bad. We all know that what is popular doesn't necessarily mean that it is good. Sometimes people just go along with the crowd instead of forming their own opinion. I doubt that any of the songs from Encanto are going to become Disney classics. Start singing one in your head right now, can you even remember them? What are the lyrics? The only one that anyone can remember is "we don't talk about Bruno". But that is the only line that people every repeat. Google Encanto songs and the first thing that pops up is that they are bad. So I am obviously not the only person to think so. Feel free to have your own opinion.
You can definitely have an opinion. It's just that you stated, as a fact, that the music was horrendous and clearly many people disagree with you (and some agree). There are a ton of lyrics that were easily catchy beyond Bruno (Surface Pressure was my favorite song the first time I heard it; What Else Can I Do became my next favorite). It's okay to dislike something - good for you! But, to state that things are objectively bad is a little bit of a stretch (is all I'm saying).

You can definitely have an opinion. It's just that you stated, as a fact, that the music was horrendous and clearly many people disagree with you (and some agree). There are a ton of lyrics that were easily catchy beyond Bruno (Surface Pressure was my favorite song the first time I heard it; What Else Can I Do became my next favorite). It's okay to dislike something - good for you! But, to state that things are objectively bad is a little bit of a stretch (is all I'm saying).

When did I say that it was a "fact". Anything that anyone posts on here are opinions. LOL

When did I say that it was a "fact". Anything that anyone posts on here are opinions. LOL
The Encanto story was nice but the music was horrendous. It did not fit the voice of the singer and she had a hard time with the songs. Also, her voice pitch made it difficult to understand what she was saying. And all of the songs where [sic] of the same style. Can Lin Manuel Miranda write any other style of song? The movie would have been much better if the songs where better. I was actually pretty disappointed in it. Disney usually has such great songs in their movies and this one was a real let down.
Underlined = objective
Bold = subjective

Totally makes sense if you didn't like it. Plenty of people did not find the music to be horrendous, Stephanie Beatriz's voice pitch too difficult to understand, or the songs of the same style (in fact, many people have commented about the significant differences in style between the songs).

Underlined = objective
Bold = subjective

Totally makes sense if you didn't like it. Plenty of people did not find the music to be horrendous, Stephanie Beatriz's voice pitch too difficult to understand, or the songs of the same style (in fact, many people have commented about the significant differences in style between the songs).

OK, whatever you say. I guess we all have to make it clear when we post anything that it is our opinion. Which is what I thought everyone already knew. You do know that this is not some college lecture class but a discussion forum, right?

I agree with @Lilsia . The songs were not memorable (I can't recall a single one, lyrics or tune) and I I found the plot overall strange. The family members were awful people and the grandmother was wholly terrible.

The most enjoyable character was the house.

Disclaimer: This is entirely my OPINION. Apparently we have to make sure we put that in our posts now?

I don’t care for the modern Disney films . I’m a senior+ citizen and much prefer the songs written for the Disney movies like Snow White. Cinderella and etc. You could understand the words and the melodie’s are beautiful. Now days some of the newer released ones are sung so loud and fast with strong accents that they are very difficult to understand .

Personally, I think Encanto was one of the best Disney movies…. Ever. Although we loved Moana, Encanto’s story really struck a chord with me. Maybe it’s relating to the feeling of being the underachiever in a superstar family, but there’s always a tear welling up in my eye when Mirabelle see’s her door knob (this from a 50+ year old, fairly unsentimental dad).

I will say that I originally did not like the soundtrack very much. I also did not like Hamilton very much. After the 2nd (or 3rd?) viewing though, I was beyond the feeling that it was just a cacophony of sound, and started feeling the rhythms underlying the songs. Now I love the songs, and after them being on constant play around the house, I can honestly say I’m still not burnt out on them. I may even have to give Hamilton another try.

everyone reacts to different music differently, so the soundtrack isn’t for everyone, but it’s definitely won me over.

I do have to say that I think the comment/question of “Can Lin Manuel Miranda write any other style of song?” Is pretty silly. Within Encanto, Miranda’s written very diverse songs. Honestly, if “Las Orgulitas” sounds anything like “Surface Pressure” or “We don’t talk about Bruno”, then the listener tuned out of the movie after the first two songs. Oh, and everyone realizes Miranda wrote half of the songs for Moana also, right? I think he can definitely write different styles of songs! :thumbsup2

Last edited:
I agree with @Lilsia . The songs were not memorable (I can't recall a single one, lyrics or tune) and I I found the plot overall strange. The family members were awful people and the grandmother was wholly terrible.

The most enjoyable character was the house.

Disclaimer: This is entirely my OPINION. Apparently we have to make sure we put that in our posts now?
No disclaimer needed (I chuckle at the snark, though). It's just that it's often more effective to speak from one's own experience/use "I" language (which you did throughout your post). It doesn't hurt to be clear, does it?

I agree that popularity doesn’t always translate to something that’s good. I also agree that people will sometimes go along with something instead of forming their own opinion (I teach…I see that every day).

But I disagree that those two things are 100% tied to Encanto. How can anyone really know that for sure? The fact that the songs are getting played over and over again is telling. The fact that my kids talk about it nonstop is telling. You don’t have to be in that camp that likes it, certainly. But that doesn’t mean you hold the majority opinion either. And that doesn’t mean I do either. Personally, I loved the movie and the music. Yes, it sounds like Lin Manuel Miranda…but that’s literally all composers. John Williams has a distinct sound. Hans Zimmer does, too. As does Schwartz. Or any classical composer today. Yes their music varies, but they have a signature sound and that is a natural element of composers finding their voice, so I don’t discount Miranda for writing in a musical style that he loves (and it clearly works for him and the audiences).

I would also disagree that remembering something equates to something being good. There is so much amazing classical music that isn’t Haydn or Mozart or romantic music such as Beethoven or Liszt. We have forgotten so much amazing music. Doesn’t make it good or bad.

Music and art are wholly subjective. We will never have everyone love/hate every one song or movie. Sorry you don’t like it. Totally okay that you don’t.

Last edited:
I liked it. It wasn't my favorite by any stretch of the imagination.

But I loved the color story.

The music... Lin Manuel Miranda's music is all starting to sound the same.

I thought some of the music did sound the same as his other works but that happens. Doesn't mean it's not catchy though. I think the songs in Star Wars all sound the same but apparently there's like 60 different tracks. LMM always has the same theme of "making a point/leaving a legacy" and/or "time passing too quickly".

we all fell asleep watching it. i tried really hard. love moana, can't compare movies really to moana or cocoa, they all stand on their own.

OK, whatever you say. I guess we all have to make it clear when we post anything that it is our opinion. Which is what I thought everyone already knew. You do know that this is not some college lecture class but a discussion forum, right?

It is actally the reverse. You never have to explicitly state anything you say or write is an opinion, that is assumed. You should state, and should cite sources, when you are asserting something is a fact.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter